Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,014 Posts
Bad, all bad. Rough recoil and lots of malfunctions.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I had a hard chrome PF-9 that I EDC for a few years. Despite all internet "info" out there I never had any reliability problems with a variety of ammo. The reason I no longer own it is the recoil is fierce and aggravates my RA. FWIW, I regularly shoot my compact Glock 36 in .45 acp and find it pleasant to shoot:confused:

*BTW, if you do get a PF-9 get it in the hard chrome finish.

Reactions: Brass63 and OldChap

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Keltec pf-9 anyone carry one or have any first hand experience good or bad?
Had one for a few years.

I had light strike problems at first. Sent it in to the mothership. They replaced a bunch of stuff, and I never had that problem again. But it was harsher and way less fun to shoot when it came back.

The trigger I had no problem with. It reminded me of shooting a snubby revolver.

For me it carried best in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

I have a personal rule that I don't want to keep a gun if I'd be uncomfortable for quality or reliability reasons with it being my last gun. The PF9 wasn't there, so I sold it off in 2015, and replaced it with an XDS.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have one. I really liked it at first. Very light and pocket-able. Was reliable for several hundred rounds, and then it wasn't. I can't get it to run a complete mag anymore and have no idea what's wrong with it. I could send it in but I just went back to my trusty jframe for pocket duty and stuck it back in the safe. These guns are very lightly constructed and don't believe they stand up to hard use. I like the gun on paper, and if mine proved reliable over the long term I'd likely be carrying it. It's accurate enough has decent sights for a pocket gun and the trigger OK for it's intended purpose.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have had one for a little over 4 years now. Very light, easy to conceal, shoots well. Has been solid reliable, hard to find a better pocket rocket for very discrete carry. That being said, it's also very light, and with personal defense loads, it "barks," and has a sharp recoil. Long-stroke, double-action trigger can be hard to get used to if you're used to something like a Glock. It's not a gun that you want to take out to the range and plink away with all day, it's that hideout, backup gun that you have on you when you need a gun in decent fighting caliber, that shoots to point of aim at street and back-alley distance. Lots of people dis 'em, but mine as served me well so far, and it served Mr Zimmerman well when he needed his.

Mine is slowly being edged out by a new acquisition, a Shield 45, which is only a smidgen bigger and heavier, but also carries 7 rounds of 45 caliber goodness.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Mine uses 9mm Critical Defense for carry, Remington FMJ for practice. I put a couple boxes through it a year to stay familiar with it, as I said, it's not really made for that heavy use.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have one and it has been very dependable. Last week I took it to the range and ran a box of 115g blazer brass no problems. I also had a box of Winchester white box 147gr hp got one light strike and a ftf. First time in over 300 rounds I had anything go wrong but I'm guessing the gun doesn't like the white box 147gr hp ammo. Next time out I'll bring a 100 rounds of blazer brass and see how she does. That light strike concerns me. My edc is my ruger LCR .327 federal magnum with full power loads. 6 for sure and they pop like a cannon. I shoot the LCR first and the PF9 recoil feels like a .22 lol

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i got of the first ones made and it was junk. got it from the third owner cheap, real cheap. i worked on it with the free parts from kel tec. now the gun now is one great gun. it will fire five mags as fast as i can pull the trigger and reload without any problems. what more can you ask from a low price pistol. now days they are better, kel tec has worked out the bugs. the pf9 is not a fun at the range gun. it is a hand full when you fire it. but as a lite weight small in size carry gun it is hard to beat. the price is low. kel tec has a belt clip that works well for the pistol. i like the belt clip.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I had a PF-9 for a couple years and it was 100% reliable so long as you don't try to over shoot it and wear your grip control out . Not enjoyable to shoot and it is at best a short range pistol . I ran a lot of rounds thru it but moved to a +P rated cw9 kahr for a small iwb and finally a cm9 for pocket carry at work .

·
Registered
759 Posts
I had one and pocket carried it everywhere until it started light striking and jamming on any type of ammo I put through it. Tried everything short of sending it back to KelTec. Traded it in on a new pistol. My trust in it was done and I wouldn't carry it anymore.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It was my first pistol and my edc, bought for price and availability at the time. It always went bang but it was not a fun to shoot, my hand always hurt after time at the range. When the M&P Shield finally became available (where they stayed on the shelf more than a minute), I sold the pf9 and have been carrying the Shield 9 ever since.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had one only for a short while. As mentioned by others it can really beat your hand up. However, I don't think the grip fit my hand correctly. I sanded the polymer, added a hogue hand all junior, along with anything else I could think of. l my hand still couldn't take more than a couple mags. I know it is a carry a lot - shoot it a little firearm, but that was too much and it made my 357 mags and 40 S&Ws seem like powder puffs. I sold it when I got my current single-stack 9mm and don't miss it, but YMMV.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I have to agree with previous posts. I liked it until...I didn't. Satisfaction is hit & miss at BEST! :yup:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I have two. The first was an early one but I did the fluff and buff and it has never failed to fire and cycle reliably. The second one is a later model with the parkerized slide. It didn't need anything - but as others say, this is not a range gun. It was never meant to be a daily shooter and will not hold up to that. There is a price for being the lightest, smallest 9mm on the planet, or at least it used to be. I carried one in a DeSantis pocket holster and it worked well. Accept it for what it is, and it will serve you well. If you can accept a little bigger in both size and price, there are a lot of better guns out there.

Oh I'm not recoil sensitive. I grew up on full-power 357 Mag in an Airweight Smith.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
863 Posts
I honestly find the recoil very manageable on mine a lot less than my revolvers that's for sure. Also I am using the factory Keltec one extra round mag extension for better grip.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's a gun, they work.. if you're comfortable shooting it and shooting it well, and that's what your budget will allow, then it's fine, get it.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
You will get a lot of different answers, but it may depend upon when they got the gun.

Years ago got one, had mag release issues (they did a recall) , it started to have fail to extract issues, and the list goes on. I considered it very unreliable. They got all of those issues worked out and haven's seen or heard any issues on the guns they have put out since then.

Mine, sent it into them ..... and they literally trashed it ..... they sent me back a "new" gun except that they kept the same barrel, and stamped the same serial number on it. IT's worked flawlessly since .... no complaints at all.

I don't know... there are people that complain about recoil, and I have arthritis in my hands , etc. and I went out and put 500 rds thru it, and no issue for me. Dont' hold the gun "lightly" .... and shoot right, you should have no issue. It really does make me wonder how in the world they are holding the gun. Don't limpy wrist and soft grip it, and fire away.

Works well as a pocket gun, back up gun, or primary and conceals easily. Customer service was fine as well. Definitely recommend putting at least 200 rds thru it as a break-in and make sure you don't have any issues ... but I recommend that for all guns.

Reactions: Petroleum 1

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
When it comes to Kel Tec and other handguns in similar price points, you are taking a gamble.

Lots of people receive their <insert budget gun here> without any issues or problems and swear by them.
There will also be many accounts of people on the web having a whole myriad of issues with said budget handgun.

My question to you is this, unless you are truly financially strapped and in dire straights, isn't your life worth just a little bit more to see to it you get a reliable firearm to protect your life with?

You could likely find a fantastic used wheel gun in the same price point of a new PF9 and have much better reliability.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
When it comes to Kel Tec and other handguns in similar price points, you are taking a gamble.

Lots of people receive their <insert budget gun here> without any issues or problems and swear by them.
There will also be many accounts of people on the web having a whole myriad of issues with said budget handgun.

My question to you is this, unless you are truly financially strapped and in dire straights, isn't your life worth just a little bit more to see to it you get a reliable firearm to protect your life with?

You could likely find a fantastic used wheel gun in the same price point of a new PF9 and have much better reliability.

Just my thoughts.
^^^Very solid advice!^^

Reactions: Rooster
1 - 20 of 29 Posts