Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the kel-tec plr-16 a legitimate defensive weapon (mainly for HD) or just a mediocre conversation piece? they seem to have no real use and the current price for one seems ridiculous. it would be okay with a vertical fore grip but that classifies it in AOW and you have to go through paperwork and tax stamp. the only thing I could think of is it would make a decent SBR platform. can anyone give any input if they are worth it? PLR16_ammo_5567.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
It's actually a decent firearm. It'll shoot NATO rounds as well as .223 rem, it's a piston gun so it runs cooler and cleaner than a DGI. It takes standard pmags and it's quite reliable.
A VFG does make it an AOW, but you can put a magpul AFG on it without violating any laws or paying any taxes.

Is it a "go to war" gun? probably not, but as a fun shooter and even a defensive weapon it's fine. Like any short barreled 5.56, it's loud as hell, so for HD I'd suggest a can and/or active hearing protection.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
If you get one you won't be popular at the range. They are VERY LOUD! The PLR vaguely reminds me of the GAU-5 I carried almost 30 years ago, although I think the PLR is probably more reliable. IMHO I think that there are better choices for a HD gun.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I owned the SU-16C model (same basic design and operating system, plus the buttstock), and while it was a cool gun it just didn't do it for me. The take down was finicky and annoying, and it was not amazingly reliable. I was initially real hot on it but that wore off fast. Just my experience, still think they are cool guns.

·
Super Moderator
18,838 Posts
I've played with one on several occasions as my brother-in-law has one. Despite also loving classic firearms, he's more open-minded about acquiring the "latest and greatest" than my ol' hide-bound self is. He was one of the "first kids on the block" with a PLR 16. The thing works as advertised. It's even entertaining for hosing down yucca plants for fun and profit. 'Specially with his ammo! Photo taken a couple of years back.

For serious use, it has some value for carry in confined spaces such as the cab of a pickup. He includes it as part of the arsenal for our back-country border trips. The blue line on the horizon is "south of the border."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the kel-tec plr-16 a legitimate defensive weapon (mainly for HD) or just a mediocre conversation piece? they seem to have no real use and the current price for one seems ridiculous. it would be okay with a vertical fore grip but that classifies it in AOW and you have to go through paperwork and tax stamp. the only thing I could think of is it would make a decent SBR platform. can anyone give any input if they are worth it? View attachment 76952
This is a very good question,is a great gun, but is it worth the money.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I concur with the "unpopular at the range" comment.

Yesterday a dude pretty much ran me off with an AK based SBR that was appallingly loud. At one point, and car driving past from another range stopped, opened the window and asked what the gun was. After he said it was a AK ABR, the guy said "goddamn, it's loud!" This from a dude inside a car!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It's no different than any other 5.56 pistol or SBR - loud, huge muzzle blast, reasonable performance compared to a full length barrel. They are handy, reliable, lightweight, and accurate, I had one for years, only sold it because I sold out of all my 5.56 stuff when I retired from LE. I would certainly trust it for defensive carry/use or as a truck/car/tractor/bug-out-bag gun. I just looked at prices on gunbroker, looks like they're selling in the $5-600 range, I don't know what MSRP is but that doesn't sound unreasonable to me compared to the obvious competition, AR pistols.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Meh. I'd rate it "mediocre". It's OK, but there are better choices available.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had people ask me what flame thrower I was using at an indoor range. Loaded up some 357 mag rounds with 300mp. it was out of a 3 inch j-frame

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Good for this state where you cannot carry a loaded rifle in the car. You can transport this loaded under a MI CPL or your home state CWL.

I'd rather have an AK pistol. 5.56 really looses something out of a pistol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts