Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any experience with this gun? It's not really a carry gun - except maybe folded in your backpack - but I didn't know where else to post this.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I bought one maybe 15 years ago and still have it. Nice little go-to mini rifle to have in you possession should the need arise. Trigger action is hard but then, you're not likely to be shooting at things 100 yards away with it. Mine makes use of Glock 17 and larger mags.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Keep them clean and run them wet and for cheesy plastic carbines.....they run very well. Surprisingly so. They're a lot of fun.

Do your research on the magazine platforms. Non-Glock Subs will allow you to convert to other mags. The Glock models are simply that, Glock based. Now, if you find one in 9 at a reasonable price and that's what you want, don't hesitate. There is not an excess of them around, particularly in 9. They should sell for under 300 but if you find a new one at 400 you've probably done well enough.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I have a Gen 1 Sub-2000 in .40 Glock configuration. It has been a 100% reliable with anything I have put in it. I wish I had the 9mm version though, the .40 is not for the faint of heart and has a surprising amount of kick!:blink: They are fun to shoot and quite accurate inside 75 yds!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my 9mm Gen 2 last fall. Have only sent about 400 rds. of 124 gr. FMJ though it, and it has functioned flawlessly so far. My only issue with it (shared by many) is that the sights are too low to offer and quick and comfortable cheek weld. Many have to "scrunch" up on it a bit. Visit the Keltec owners' site KTOG.org for input from more experienced users than I.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I got my 9mm Gen 2 last fall. Have only sent about 400 rds. of 124 gr. FMJ though it, and it has functioned flawlessly so far. My only issue with it (shared by many) is that the sights are too low to offer and quick and comfortable cheek weld. Many have to "scrunch" up on it a bit. Visit the Keltec owners' site KTOG.org for input from more experienced users than I.
I highly recommend the 1" butt extension from Kel Tec! It snaps on and helped my accuracy quite a bit and solves the low sight problem for me. Good luck!

Reactions: Curt58

·
Registered
713 Posts
I love mine. Reliable and fun to shoot. I keep it in a non threatening laptop bag along with an extra half-dozen 33-round Glock Mags. That is a lot of backup to have when travelling.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I too have a 1st Gen 40. Love the gun. I also carry it folded in my briefcase in my pickup.

I whittled out bottom of the fore stock to accept another 15 round glock mag.
So normally I have 30 rnds with me at all times.

And I have a Sten Gun 30 round 3 Magazine Pouch that I toss in the briefcase when traveling through places like Furgeson Missouri or the South Side of Dallas. You know, places where I'm not totally not comfortable.

I see no need for a scope or a bunch of add ones as it's a run and gun tool. But, I did mount a low profile laser just under the barrel with an ON switch on the stock. Just in case I need to worry about background.

It's my Reginald Denny Defensive tool.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I have wanted one for some time mainly because it uses glock mags ... unfortunately I don't think they are worth what they cost new here so I haven't bought one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Used to be a good travel gun as it is technically a long gun, generally not requiring a CCW permit/reciprocity when crossing state borders. Lately though, some (more?) states have put them on their banned assault weapons lists.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I've shot the .40 before.

A little Thumper there, but put bigger holes in the targets than my STORM
9mm carbine did.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Banned
747 Posts
I have a Sig P226 9MM version. I carried a P226 as a duty weapon. We didn't have rifles/shotguns up front in the cruisers, so I kept the Sub2000 folded on the seat behind by gear bag. Not the best duty rifle in the world, but reliable and accurate and sure beats a handgun at 50-100 yards if I dont have time to grab my rifle.

It used to be the premier backpack SHTF rifle, but now you can get pistol caliber AR carbines with really short barrels. I'd rather have an 9MM AR-15 with a 7 inch barrel and folding buffer tube adapter thinggy. Makes for a very short backpack gun.

·
Banned
374 Posts
For those of you who have these, educate an old man. I've seen ads for these stating they accept Glock, SIG, Beretta, S&W mags, etc. Do they manufacture different versions of this gun for each or do you buy a separate adapter for the manufacturer of mag you want to use? I have several orphaned SIG P226 mags that would love to have a new use.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had the Gen 2 in 9mm and it functioned flawlessly. Not a single failure using brass or steel ammo. I think the Gen 2 mods make it worth finding one over the Gen 1.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
fired this in 9mm... WISH they made this in 10mm....
This right here! I have lots of 10mm Glock mags....

But honestly....I just can't bring myself to like the sub-2000. I fired a friend's (9mm SIG mag version). It worked just fine, cycled every round, was reasonably accurate, and didn't seem to have any real bad habits. With all that said - I still could not bring myself to enjoy it. If I had a real reason to want a pistol caliber carbine that fed from Glock mags and folded, I guess it would be fine and functional....I just don't see the point of owning a firearm that has no functional purpose if you don't enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts