Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired one that takes the glock 17/33 round mags as the new truck/camping/hiking [ backpack carry ]. I've got a soft short assault rifle case for it, will hold 15 33 round sticks [ I have 20 of them already in stock at the house for my g17's ]. It's got a threaded barrel and barrel nut protector, I've got a 9mm can that will screw right onto the muzzle threads. :hand10:

Gone is the cheap front sight, replaced with something very close to an AR front sight post and adjustments. 3 adjustments for LOP, it came set up with the shortest LOP, too short of me, and the longest setting was a little too long, so I settled on the middle position for LOP, seems to come up and point just fine.

16" barrel, ballistic by the inch tells me standard 115 ball should be clocking 1370 per second or close to it instead of the 1150 from the G17 pistol. It'll be interesting to see what the bullet drop is at 100 yrds sighted in for 25 yrds. I'll have to run the ballistics calculator and compare field results to their numbers on bullet drop at various distances.

I'll check where it's zero'd when the weather cools off some and I can get to the public range so I can bench it while tweaking the sights regulations.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I quite literally just had my hands on one of these at a gun shop under 20 minutes ago. I was wondering, for a backpack / bugout gun, would a ruger 10-22 takedown, or the kel tech sub 2k be a better option?

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I quite literally just had my hands on one of these at a gun shop under 20 minutes ago. I was wondering, for a backpack / bugout gun, would a ruger 10-22 takedown, or the kel tech sub 2k be a better option?
The 10/22 will allow you to pack a larger amount of ammo.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have both, I think 33 rounds of 9mm will be more effective at stopping threats than the .22lr would be. But the 10-22 take down isn't going anywhere anytime soon either. :hand10:

As a daily rifle carried in a small backpack [ and thus wouldn't draw attention too much except certain venues ] with 4 31 rd sticks and 2 17 rd sticks totaling 158 rds on tap with the gun it's the better daily "with me" for if I can't get home and it's every man for themselves or for that rare occasion I run into a group of antifa's blocking a roadway and attacking vehicles passengers.

For a long term survival gun for game and some SD, the 10-22 takedown would supplant the Kel-Tec Sub 2K

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have both, I think 33 rounds of 9mm will be more effective at stopping threats than the .22lr would be. But the 10-22 takedown isn't going anywhere anytime soon either. :hand10:
If it was a "if you could only have one" situation, which one do you think you would choose?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was a "if you could only have one" situation, which one do you think you would choose?
Likely the 10-22 at this time, but after I vette the Kel-Tec as being reliable, that may change. As I have a 9mm and 22 can, both can and would be suppressed. The 22lr would be quieter all things being equal, so that fact alone might give the 10-22 the edge.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
The real question is . . .

Is this the funnest gun in the world for average man?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Heck, I could teach Old Vet to have a good time shooting with one of these.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
This gun is the put put golf of the rifle world and I've never even held one yet.

Pew pew

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Heck, I could teach Old Vet to have a good time shooting with one of these.
Can you teach a curmudgeon to have a good time with anything???

Reactions: TSKnight

·
Registered
700 Posts
The 10/22 will allow you to pack a larger amount of ammo.
It's pretty hard to beat.

9mm Luger
Hornady*115gr JHP/XTP
Rounds per pound: 38.10
Weight*per 100*rounds (lbs): 2.63

9mm Luger
Hornady*147gr JHP/XTP
Rounds per pound: 35.71
Weight*per 100*rounds (lbs): 2.80

vs.

.22 LR
Remington*Golden 36gr PHP
Rounds per pound: 133.33
Weight*per*100*rounds (lbs): 0.75

And you don't even need a takedown 10/22:

https://www.rkguns.com/promag-archangel-quick-break-down-stock-for-standard-ruger-10-22-rifles-aaqbd.html

I don't have one yet, but it's on my short list for my 10/22 Sporter.

I've also been finding Velocitors and Mini-mags in supply again. Paying $5.99 for 50pk of Vel's and about $23 for 300 Mini-mags. Bricks of Win Super-X for cheap plinkers. Would make a good urban/suburban "fry the brain" type rifle with quiet subsonics in a Katrina like event. And can also be handed off to a non-gun person and taught to run it in about 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I have a first gen Sub 2000. It set up for the Glock 17 mags, and I had a Glock 19. So I carefully marked and cut the handle/'mag well. To my surprise it came out perfect. and it takes model 19 mags as well as 17, and 32 round mags. I don't pack it anywhere but the range or the desert.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found this company that makes accessories for the sub2K. I'll be ordering a few upgrades from this place. My understanding is Kel-tec will put the parts on for you if you send them the gun and parts together and will still warranty the gun if they do the work.

https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-accessories.aspx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts