Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Kel Tec guns are for the most part garbage. Interesting concepts, poor manufacturing. If they work the kinks out great and the following is a sample of one. But it doesn't breed confidence.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Kel Tec guns are for the most part garbage. Interesting concepts, poor manufacturing. If they work the kinks out great and the following is a sample of one. But it doesn't breed confidence.
I'm sorry you feel that way,I have two P3AT's I've had for several years now and after a fluff and buff I haven't had any problems with them and I shoot them often.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The only KelTec I have ever owned is a P32. Due to the funky sights, it's mostly a point shooting weapon. But it has never jammed, not once, after hundreds of rounds. KelTec is a niche market - they make cheap firearms, and some work great, some don't. I would research carefully before I chose a particular KelTec model for defense. But the little .22 looks like fun, plastic magazines and all. I must say, that the weapon light looks really silly on a gun like that.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm sorry you feel that way,I have two P3AT's I've had for several years now and after a fluff and buff I haven't had any problems with them and I shoot them often.
Why feel sorry?

New guns shouldn't require a final manufacturing process like a fluff and buff to make their guns work. I'm glad not everyone's Kel Tec experience were as bad as mine. But they are low budget guns with low end results.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Kel-Tecs don't need anything more than any other gun to make, or keep them fully functional. I had a 1911 that I ran in competition. The base gun was expensive, but that was a pittance compared to how much was required to make it competitive. Now one could argue that 1911's shouldn't need a final manufacturing process to make the gun work for that purpose, but I think we all know better. My two PF-9s run well enough that I have no issues using them at times as either back-up carry, or primary when nothing else will do.

I don't really need any more 22 pistols (or rifles for that matter).

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
I didn't have a good experience with the P3AT I got in December of 2005. My brother-in-law had talked them up as the unique small .380 on the market at the time. This was prior to the advent of the Ruger LCP. I saw a purpose and the pistol was neato in concept, but execution seemed cheap-o and flimsy. Equating "fluff and buff" as promoted on a Kel Tec forum site with having to patch a set of four brand new tires before they will properly hold air, I resorted to shooting the thing until it broke in and it did finally smoothed out enough to function dependably.

That took 600 rounds and became its own sub-hobby during the year of 2006! Only when I shot some overly hot .380 ammunition through it did it decide to "straighten up and fly right."

Did fine for perhaps 1000 rounds and then got up to its old tricks again more recently. When the P3AT began choking and harking a second time I threatened it with it's life by tellin' it I was going to throw it into the lake out at our old family place on the lake. I also gave it a good cleaning and oiling as it had been doing duty as the "yard gun" when I mow and tend the lawn. It straightened right up. It's returned to yard gun duty.

That P17 in .22 does look sort of "snap-together" and I generally don't do plastic snap-together pistolas. But, it's in .22 Long Rifle and could be intriguing if its trigger proved livable. For a companion side arm in the yard, or for goofing around an afternoon out at the lake cabin I could see a fun use for it. No thank you on hangin' junk off of it or taking it seriously for defensive duties.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Did you see that price???. In a few months, they will be selling at $125-150 and thats with THREE! 16 round magazines!!!.. No brainer.. I can't own those mags here in NY, but that looks like a lot of .22 for really short money... bob

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I've owned two KelTecs; a P3AT and a PF9.

Did a basic fluff n' buff on both and both have run flawlessly.

Cheaply made and kinda ugly? Sure. They're no fine example of the gunsmith's art. But they do what they're designed for.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought a KelTec P-11 when they first came out. In fact, mine has a 3 digit serial number. I've had it for over 20 years and cannot tell you how many rounds I've shot , I've never had a stove pipe, failure to eject, failure to feed or any other problem of any kind. I'll grant you that they aren't the best made pistol but mine has been 100% reliable. I used it as my carry gun until I bought my Canik C-100 . Another (CHEAP) but very well made pistol.

·
Registered
196 Posts

This is my first 9mm. I couldn’t shoot 2 consecutive rounds without it jamming. Sent it in to Keltec and it’s been flawless. I have since moved on to other pistols and this just sits in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
Did you see that price???. In a few months, they will be selling at $125-150 and thats with THREE! 16 round magazines!!!.. No brainer.. I can't own those mags here in NY, but that looks like a lot of .22 for really short money... bob
Strike that.. Watched the YT video and the reviewer could barely get 1 round in 10 down the chute!.. What a disaster THAT was.. I'm officially spooked for good, great price not withstanding... bob

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I have owed two Kel Tec's in my life. The first was the P3AT. Sold it to fund the Ruger LCP. The second is a Gen 1 Sub 2000. Bought it used at a gun show. It would seem the previous owner had been running either steel or aluminum cased ammo through the gun and it just didn't work right. Sent the gun back to Kel Tec and they rebuilt it giving me a almost brand new gun. It has ran perfect ever since.. My P3AT worked just fine and I never had any problems with it. I have never had a problem with inexpensive weapons, . They allow some in a lower income bracket the ability to defend themselves.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I carry a P3AT in my pocket around the house and when out and about it stays there and becomes my "New York Reload" for my G26. :smile:

It has several hundred rounds through it over the last 15 years or so and has been flawless. I don't shoot it a lot, but enough to be confident in it if needed.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have owed two Kel Tec's in my life. The first was the P3AT. Sold it to fund the Ruger LCP. The second is a Gen 1 Sub 2000. Bought it used at a gun show. It would seem the previous owner had been running either steel or aluminum cased ammo through the gun and it just didn't work right. Sent the gun back to Kel Tec and they rebuilt it giving me a almost brand new gun. It has ran perfect ever since.. My P3AT worked just fine and I never had any problems with it. I have never had a problem with inexpensive weapons, . They allow some in a lower income bracket the ability to defend themselves.
Yes, but they have to actually function.. That .22 was a MESS.... bob

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Yes, but they have to actually function.. That .22 was a MESS.... bob
I agree there is crap out there for cheap money and there is crap out there for serious money ( Don't like Kimber). I am talking about guns like Hi points and the like. I have found them ugly heavy, bulky, and reliable. I have not watched the video but I don't like to buy trash.

·
Super Moderator
16,097 Posts
I made the mistake of purchasing a Kel-Tec P-11; I could not hit the side of a barn even from inside. the trigger was so heavy it pegged out my 12 pound trigger scale and the action was almost as smooth as dragging an iron bar through a gravel pit. I will admit it was reliable as long as you were able to drag that trigger back far enough to trip the sear. Finally traded it off for a 6-inch Ruger Security Six, defiantly got the better part of the deal.

Reactions: ETXhiker
1 - 19 of 19 Posts