Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I handled and really liked a Keltec PF-9 today and have questions about them. For those who own these guns how reliable are they? Do they require a break in period or are they good to go out of the box? Would you this a quality firearm for one looking for a small/ slim 9mm for carry?

·
Registered
112 Posts
EDC S&W 340M&P,Carry Permit holder in FL and PA.
I think deep down you already know the answer to your question.
I value my life at slightly more than $300.:wink:
To be fair I have no experience with the 9mm Keltecs, but I do have personal experience with 2 p32's and 2 p3at's all went back for repair at least once and two went back twice.
I know, I know
:boese51:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I,ve run about 500 rounds thru the thing and find no real fault
other than being hard to hold on to.
Spent some time deburing and removing sharp edges on the grip and that,s made the thing more fun to shoot.
The gun is My wifes EDC and I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I carried one for about a year. Loved it. When I traded it, it had about 3,000 rounds through it with absolutely no problems. Except for the wide trigger pad, it was completely stock. No "bluff 'n' buff". So, why did I trade it? I wanted something a little larger, with an SA or striker-fired trigger action, and more rounds. I settled on the XD9SC - it's a honey.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
We have one as a rental at the range where I work. Lots of people try it before buying their own, not many people care to have a long range session with it. It rarely gets cleaned and has not had any problems related to durability yet. I don't recall if we put it in the rental rotation new, or if it was used but it has run without any kind of break in by us. We clean it with #9 and foaming bore cleaner, clean that with Gunscrubber and lube with X1-r grease.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think deep down you already know the answer to your question. I value my life at slightly more than $300.:wink:
To be fair I have no experience with the 9mm Keltecs, but I do have personal experience with 2 p32's and 2 p3at's all went back for repair at least once and two went back twice.
I know, I know
:boese51:
Saying you have no experience with the actual gun and then knocking it is really not fair to the manufacturer. I bought a PF9 and it worked flawless right out of the box. I also have a P3AT and same thing. No fluff and buff on either gun. I have only had one issue with the PF9. I was at about 450 rounds through the gun without a hitch. I went to the range with a box of "cheap" ammo as it was all I could find. It FTE twice and double fed once. Up to that point nothing like that had occured. I fired 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense right after I finished that box. It fed every round without issue. I attribute the problem to that box of ammo, not the gun. Just to be fair to Kel-Tec, I also have a custom .45 that seems to jam from time to time. I also fired a very expensive "high end" 9 mm yesterday with a top NRA instructor that owned the gun. Guess what... it jammed on HIM when he was shooting it. So basing your gun decision on money alone is as foolish as believing expensive guns are perfect. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have no experience with the PF9
but have owned a KT .32 for 5 or 6
years now with only one problem
the first time I shot it the bullet failed
to fire. Prob just the bullet. No jams
misfires of any kind since then. Probably
have put at least a few hundred rounds through it.
Dont think the KT pistols are range guns to be shot
all the time though. My brother has a KT .32 and a spring
broke within the first year or two that he had it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Must note too that KT has GREAT customer service
and will fix most any problems for free if any should arise
I like the PF-9. I just dont own one yet.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a P32 (BUG in frontpocket) and PF9 (IWB) and bought them specifically to carry. I carry the P32 24/7/365 and I would say I carry the 60% and my 1911 35% and my P89 5%. I have had not trouble with either of my Kt's. I would get an extra mag or two and carry it with the finger extension. It is a little snappy due to its lightweight but I bought it b/c of the lightweight. 100 rounds and you know you have been shooting, 200 and it hurts. My trigger finger after 100 has a sore spot from the trigger/recoil but that could be the way I hold the gun. Pertaining to function I have trouble shooting 124 grain hp's, granted they were once fired brass. But I use 115 xtp hp and never a prob. I also slipped a bicycle tire tube on the grip to provide a little extra grip without adding thickness.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a P32, and P11. Both go bang every time, and I have no faults with either. I would count on them in time of need.

:hand10:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
well made gun and will do the job. i have not had any problems with my kel tecs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Saying you have no experience with the actual gun and then knocking it is really not fair to the manufacturer. I bought a PF9 and it worked flawless right out of the box. I also have a P3AT and same thing. No fluff and buff on either gun. I have only had one issue with the PF9. I was at about 450 rounds through the gun without a hitch. I went to the range with a box of "cheap" ammo as it was all I could find. It FTE twice and double fed once. Up to that point nothing like that had occured. I fired 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense right after I finished that box. It fed every round without issue. I attribute the problem to that box of ammo, not the gun. Just to be fair to Kel-Tec, I also have a custom .45 that seems to jam from time to time. I also fired a very expensive "high end" 9 mm yesterday with a top NRA instructor that owned the gun. Guess what... it jammed on HIM when he was shooting it. So basing your gun decision on money alone is as foolish as believing expensive guns are perfect. Just my 2 cents.
I have to agree I have a PF9 and carry it every day with absolutely no problems, also have a P3AT that I occasionally carry only thing I had to do to that one was polish the feed ramp. Added the finger extension to my PF9. Actually did the Kahr modification using their finger extension because it's longer and added a Hogue Jr. I now actually find it very controllable, maybe not a fun gun to shoot but that's not what I bought it for.

Tom j.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Can't say anything about the PF9 except that if I had been able to find one I would have gotten it. That's what I was shopping for with no success when I found a KelTec P3AT. It was my first CC purchase and I knew it was a weapon that I would be able to carry in all situations and manner of dress so I got it. It fires every factory load I feed it and does so accurately. Its still my BUG but I EDC a SA XD9sub or XDm9, depending on my manner of dress.

I've heard good reports on the the PF9 as long as a fluff-n-buff is performed. Can't hurt to give it a try.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I carry a PF9 and when the need is for a smaller gun I carry a P3AT. The PF9 has been a real shooter with very few FTF etc. Maybe 1500 rounds through it mostly W W box 115gr FMJ and other carry rounds. Took finger extension off, just did not like the way made my large hands feel on weapon and tended to print more. Do I really enjoy shooting the PF9? NO NO NO. Did not buy it for a range gun!!!! Do I trust it, and is it accurate? YES YES YES As to the P3AT I have not fired enough through it to know for sure but it has never given me any problem at all, no FTF nothing just goes bang every time.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Inexpensive guns

Yup!!! :yup: My CPX-1, which got a lot of bad press by people who never even held the gun, has around 2000 rounds through it. One misfire which I attribute to reloaded ammo. I've shot PD ammo, reloads, whitebox, Wolf, and so on and I've not had a problem except for the 1 misfire. I bought the gun on a whim, but have not been disappointed. I think I'd personally experience a gun before making a value judgment. I carry the CPX-1 on a regular basis, and I sure as heck would not stake my life on rumor, innuendo or guesswork.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My wife does not like the PF9 at all, to much muzzle flip and just plain recoil for her also she has trouble cambering a round and just does not like the weapon. Point is the pf9 is not for everyone, and that does not make it a bad weapon. For me it is fine but I am bigger and stronger than she is.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My PF9 has ran flawlessly with about 500rds thru it. All my mags have the finger extension, it helps ALOT. Even with them its a gun you shoot little and carry alot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts