Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Ken Null yesterday and asked what the differences are between the SMZ and the City Slicker.He said the city slicker works best under a sport coat and the SMZ works better under a shirt or sweat shirt.
Since I'll be useing it under a sweat shirt I ordered the SMZ,he said he would ship it out Monday.
Anyone else use an SMZ?

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
More to say...

Ken makes excellent holsters and does fine custom work. However, his website doesn’t show a very detailed view of the holster. Personally, I prefer the ‘City Slicker’ model.

Appended: You can perform a web search to view other photos of this holster.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not a big shoulder holster fan but I've used them with great success on light weight wheel guns. I think you'll be very happy with it.

I don't agree with Saber's concern about the open trigger guard on the body side. Because the holster is intended to ride very high, forward of and under your armpit, its movement is limited. Consequently, at least on a double action, it would be nearly implossible to even hook the trigger much less move it completely through its arc to fire.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken makes excellent holsters and does fine custom work. However, his website doesn’t show a very detailed view of the holster. Personally, I prefer the ‘City Slicker’ model.

Appended: You can perform a web search to view other photos of this holster.
Saber,
The first thing I ask Ken was I'm interested in a City Slicker and what is the difference between the City Slicker and the SMZ,he then asked what I was going to carry it under,I said a sweat shirt in the winter.He then told me the City Slicker is better suited for a sport coat and the SMZ works much better under a shirt or sweat shirt,he then said the SMZ is cheaper.
I like a person that tries to put you into the best instead of the most expensive.
That's why I got the SMZ,I figure he's the expert and I've never had a shoulder holster before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
rmeron: Did he say why one was better for sportscoats and one was better under a shirt?
Not sure if it is his reason, but I think the SKR requires a forward pull for disengagement of the retention mechanism. The SMZ is more of a twisting motion.

Disclaimer: I don't own either, but have been looking at them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rmeron: Did he say why one was better for sportscoats and one was better under a shirt?
It's the way the gun has to be removed,City Slicker is a fwd motion which might be hindered under a sweatshirt as a sport coat can be moved aside.
I think the SMZ is sort of a twisting motion and can be done under confinement of a sweat shirt or any shirt.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received my SMZ today,he shipped monday from GA,I think thats fantastic.
I got it adjusted and it doesn't feel bad. To draw you push up the gun and twist outward,very simple,re-holstering is a little harded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts