Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp, here goes my first "real" review.

Been carrying the Kershaw Fatback for a few months now and I'll be honest, it's a great knife. In the following post, I'll hope to go over some highlights as to why I believe this is a perfect EDC knife. But first, let me throw you some specs.

• SpeedSafe® assisted opening with flipper
  • Liner lock
  • 4-position deep-carry pocketclip (right/left, tip-up/down)
  • Steel: 8Cr13MoV, black-oxide coating
  • Handle: Glass-filled nylon
  • Blade length: 3.5 in. (8.9 cm)
  • Closed length: 4.25 in. (10.8 cm)
  • Overall length: 7.75 in. (19.7 cm)
  • Weight: 3.6 oz. (102.1 g)
Being in the profession I am (NASCAR), the need for a well built knife has its various advantages. From cutting decals to zipties, the knife can handle it. It's been used anywhere from getting silicone out of grooves (we use Flex Shot) to cutting tape for qualifying, and still cuts like butter. I'm not big on steel knowledge, but from what I can gather, the 8Cr13MoV is a decent steel. Duration of use is good, and ease of sharpening is good. The black oxide coating seems to be extremely durable too. As I sit here in my little cubical, looking at the knife, I once again realize the thickness of the blade. Having a thicker blade for me, is precisely what I want/need. I don't have to worry about bending or breaking the tip, while using it to slice through decals or tape on the concrete floor of the garage. That brings me to my next point. The handle. With my hands being as small as they are, this knife is huge in my hands. The handle has some pretty nifty serrations on the underside to give you that perfect grip, while still protecting your index finger near the back edge of the blade. The only thing I could think of is to add jimping (spelling?) to the top of the handle were the blade meets handle for a scotche extra of purchasing grip. Another thing I'd like to point out is the fantastic pocket clip. As we all know, some clips are far to strong, while others are far too flimsy. Kershaw hit the nail right on the head with this. Did I mention that it's also a deep carry clip? Honestly, it's probably one of my favorite things about this knife besides it being a solidly built tool. The SpeedSafe assisted opener functions like you would expect it too. Although, I personally think it opens quieter then my other Kershaw knives. It secures the blade fast, and without much effort. Another one of Kershaws well built designs (as they have many). Kershaw definitely got it right with the blade, and I'm glad to carry it!

In closing, if you're looking for a larger, well built, blade for EDC, the Kershaw Fatback may be the one for you. It's been around the country with me since I've gotten it and hasn't failed me once, nor do I expect it too. I'll continue to use and abuse my favorite Kershaw blade until I can't anymore.

Please, if you have any critiques or questions, please don't hesitate to comment. As I stated at the top, this is the first review ever. Not sure what people look for, but thought I could give them a different view.

IMG_20160711_124545395_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160711_124825551_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160711_124910612_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Cool knife!!! 8cr13MoV seems to be a decent steel. It is the same steel used in my Spyderco Tenacious. It is a stainless steel but it is still slightly prone to corrosion because it contains a high amount of carbon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very nice review! Thanks for the thoughts and pictures.

I might have to pick one of these up!

best

mqqn

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
No price point?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It can vary.

Amazon - $25.22
Blade HQ - $24.95

I got mine from a friend as a gift, so I'm not sure how much he paid.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I like your review. I'm not fond of the liner/frame locks. This is a nice looking knife and the liner lock is probably the main thing that turns me off about it. But the price is good and it should be of good quality, it also serves your purposes well. Congrats on finding a nice that fits you. I am on the lookout for a flipper with either a compression lock, back lock, or whatever lock the Spyderco Manix has. (Rumor has it Spyderco is coming out with a flipper with a compression lock...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts