Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any particular advantage of the Kershaw Ken Onion Blur over the Shallot, or vice versa?

Kershaw Blur Black 1670BLK

Kershaw Shallot Black 1840CKT

Both are essentially the same size, weight and blade length. The physical differences seem to be blade shape, handle shape and handle material.

Thanks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Shallot is a frame lock, which is inherently stronger than the Blur's liner lock.

I'm not particularly fond of them, but I've never had a liner lock fail on me. FWIW, a lot of people think the liner lock is severely inferior.

ETA: If I were trying to decide between the two, I'd have to think about it pretty hard. I would much prefer the grippy scales of the Blur over the smooth steel of the Shallot, but then there's the lock issue to consider...

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
The Shallot has a reversable pocket clip, but other that than, both are about the same.
I have two Leeks...I like 'em.:yup:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Shallot is a frame lock, which is inherently stronger than the Blur's liner lock.
Thanks, I missed that difference.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have had a frame lock fail on me, and I just plain don't trust the liner locks. For the price, I'd say look at a Spyderco Endura or Delica. I've had Kershaw's, and while nice knifes, they don't hold an edge to Spyderco.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I've had a 1670 in my pocket every day for the last 3 years or so. It's been used pretty hard and it's ugly as sin now. Lock has held up during use. Blade tip is a little too thin and somewhat weak and that's my only real complaint. The spring broke last year and Kershaw sent me a new spring. The blade takes an edge easy and holds it ok. It's thin with a nice grip, comfortable in the pocket. Overall, it's a decent knife.
I recently replaced it with a Benchmade my daughter got me for dad's day.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I have liner locks on both of my Leeks which touch nothing but flesh and my Storm which is a working blade never a failure. I am a Kershaw fan and IMHO you can't go wrong with either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts