Defensive Carry banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So, I thought I'd do another review on another brilliant little EDC knife. This time we're going smaller, and it's on the Kershaw Shuffle 2. Per usual, let me get the specs to you first.

• Thumbstud
  • Manual opening
  • Liner lock
  • Reversible pocketclip (left/right)
  • Bottle opener, screwdriver, lanyard hole
  • Steel: 8Cr13MoV, BlackWash™ finish
  • Handle: Glass-filled nylon
  • Blade length: 2.6 in. (6.6 cm)
  • Closed length: 4 in. (10.2 cm)
  • Overall length: 6.3 in. (16 cm)
  • Weight 3 oz. (86 g)
Where do I even begin with this fantastic little blade? Although this isn't my EDC (the Kershaw Fatback may forever hold that title), it's still a knife that I put through the EDC rotation on occasion. I've put this blade through a variety of tasks over the last few months. From being a knife I carried to the race track (the Kershaw Brawler / Fatback assume those roles), to being the knife that sits on the coffee table for general duty. This knife has seen just about everything I can throw at it, including light automobile work. First and foremost, I want to talk about the tanto blade. This was the first knife I've ever had with that style of blade, and I'm starting to fall in love with it. The blade is made from 8Cr13MoV steel, which as I stated in my first post, it's a very decent steel. The tanto style blade is useful for a variety of tasks from cutting cardboard to slicing through decals and much more. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I've even cut a beer can in half. The blade, although sort and stumpy, is thick and powerful (insert sexual joke here LOL). Great for the piercing tasks and cutting tasks of EDC life. One might even venture to say it's the tacti-cool cardboard cutter.

Since it's a manual opener, you get some pretty beefy thumbstuds. Granted, my hands are small, so the studs are good size for my thumb. One idea I'd like to see on this knife is the cut thumbstuds like you see on the Kershaw Blur, which I believe has the perfect manual opening studs. The opening action is extremely smooth (if you have long thumbs). I have to grip slightly higher to do it in a single action, which isn't an annoyance to me, I just realize I have small hands. The liner lock always locks firmly into place, so don't worry about the blade closing on it's own.

Onto the handle. Believe it or not, for the longest time I was holding it wrong. I didn't realize cut out on the back of the blade was a finger rest. Either way, when I grip the handle it almost feels like a match made in heaven. No joke. The contour of the handle along with the finger rests result in almost a near perfect purchase on the blade. I'm highly impressed with the way this blade feels in hand. Ever hold that firearm that simply just fits? Yeah, it's like that, but doesn't weight as much. In the center of the grip, there are little notched where you can place your fingers to get an even better purchase on it and it works really well.

Let's talk about the multi-functionality of this blade. As mentioned in the specs list, it does have a bottle opener and a flathead screwdriver. Let's start with the opener. If I'm being completely honest with myself, I'll tell you all that it works. No, not perfectly, but it works. Have to work at it a little bit, but after a long long day at work, at the range, or whatever you may be doing...it's good enough to open that adult beverage that you're wanting. There a little bit to be desired in that aspect, but at the end of the day, it does work. Now, on to the flathead screwdriver. The other week, my wife was wanting me to grab a knife (to cut plastic wrap because they were "fancy" knobs) and screwdriver to replace some handles on the TV stand. Yes, she's one of those wife's that has to have nice knobs on furniture. I digress, so I pulled out the Shuffle 2 and killed two birds with one stone. The functionality of the screwdriver is great. It works exactly as it should. Loosens screws, and tightens them. Not much left to say about that.

Lastly, I'd like to talk about the pocket clip. I've come to realize that pocket clips can make or break the knife. Some are too stiff, others too loose, but this one seems to be in that sweet spot. Whether you're right handed or left, the clip can go on either side. One small gripe I have is that you can't have this blade tip up, but that would be a little hard since the bottle opener and screwdriver are on the other side. It's one of those things you wish you could have, but the reality of the situation proves you can't do it, so you just carry on as if it didn't even cross your mind.

If you're looking for a great little EDC knife, this would definitely be one to consider. It's extremely light weight, versatile, and can live up to the tasks.

Price Points
Kershaw Website: $29.99
Amazon: $17.52
Blade HQ: $19.95

IMG_20160712_201348798_HDR.jpg IMG_20160712_201423156_HDR.jpg IMG_20160712_201539949_HDR.jpg IMG_20160712_201627958_HDR.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts