Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who own a Kahr PM 9, do you have any trouble getting the first round to feed? My PM 9 is completely flawless but for an occasional problem getting the first round to feed. It is on of the few guns I have owned that has never had FTE. I have tried to release the open slide on a full mag and also, sling shot the slide. It does not happen often but it is annoying when it does.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
The feed ramp is steep and causes a lot of issues for some people. Ammo may make a big difference - what are you using?

I have only had the issue you describe once or twice with mine and mine has been very consistent with only 1 FTE after nearly 2,000 rounds through the gun.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
My PM9 was a bit stubborn about the first round but that went away after a few magazines of ammo; I slingshot the slide without incident.
I've shot a variety of ammo through it, chrono average for 5 shots:
Speer Gold Dot 115 @ 1,092 fps / 305# KE
Remington HTP 115 +P @ 1,105 fps / 312# KE
Federal HST 124 +P @ 1,120 fps / 345# KE
Winchester Ranger T 124 +P @ 1,139 fps / 357# KE
Corbon 115 +P JHP @ 1,264 fps / 408# KE

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Nose down jam into the feed ramp? If so, this is a known issue with Kahrs. Some do it, others seem not to. Someone out there makes metal mag followers that are supposed to cure this issue. I've had that and many other issues with the four Kahrs I've owned. BTDT, no mas.

My suggested cure is a Ruger LC9s, S&W Shield, Glock 43, or a snub revolver.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
The PM9 was too rich for my blood, but when the CM9 came out I jumped on it. Great little pistol! Had a few FTF/FTE during the first 50 rounds and maybe a couple over the next 100, but it's functioned 100% since. I load 147 gr. HST's or Ranger T's for carry, but shoot almost any name-brand brass-cased ammo for range practice.

Be sure to keep it cleaned & well lubed.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The feed ramp is steep and causes a lot of issues for some people. Ammo may make a big difference - what are you using?

I have only had the issue you describe once or twice with mine and mine has been very consistent with only 1 FTE after nearly 2,000 rounds through the gun.
Federal HST

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nose down jam into the feed ramp? If so, this is a known issue with Kahrs. Some do it, others seem not to. Someone out there makes metal mag followers that are supposed to cure this issue. I've had that and many other issues with the four Kahrs I've owned. BTDT, no mas.

My suggested cure is a Ruger LC9s, S&W Shield, Glock 43, or a snub revolver.

Good luck!
Yes the metal followers seem to fix the problem every time. You should not have to purchase an aftermarket follower, but if you choose to, it will most likely fix your problem.
https://lakelinellc.com/shop/metal-magazine-follower-for-9mm-kahr/

·
Registered
390 Posts
Some of my magazines initially caused this as well. I used a little fine grit sandpaper on the mag feed lips and on the plastic followers and they run fine now. Here is a video of what sounds like your similar:

And here is the thread to magazine follower modification he did (the photos are on post #12): Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification.

Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does it mainly happen when u sling shot the slide or use the slide release lever. I thought I read somewhere it was better to use the slide release lever to chamber the round. I known there's a Kahr forum there's a lot of good info there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I bought a cm9 as soon as they came to market about 4.5 years ago and a cw9 for 5.5 more years . I don't use the slide hold open as a release regardless of what kahr tells you to do . Did not learn that way so just don't do it !! I always sling shot the slide and use mostly home rolled hi tek coated 124gr swc for practice and the 124gr speer gold dot bullet from ether underwood or Georgia arms in a +P load for carry . It does not get much CC time any more as it was my work pistol . Retired now . Its had about 2000 fired with zero issues , no follower breakage . nothing to whine about . Recoil spring is heavy and that cause concerns for weaker shooters as a pull and release need to full back with a clean release .

I will tell you the CW or P 9 is far easier to shoot and function is easier on the owner but not a pocket pistol any more than a sheild . lc9 or g43 is . My older daughter claimed my cw9 as her EDC .

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
My pm has been flawless for roughly 12 years now. That reminds me, it's time for a rebuild or retirement on it.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
I owned a PM9 for about three years and the ONLY reason I traded it was because I felt more comfortable with .45 caliber.

I don't know if they've changed this, but my owner's manual at the time said that you were supposed to lock the slide back, insert a loaded mag, then release the slide to chamber a round. However.... I could insert a mag and rack the slide to chamber a round with no problems. So you might want to check your manual and see if it still specifies this.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some of my magazines initially caused this as well. I used a little fine grit sandpaper on the mag feed lips and on the plastic followers and they run fine now. Here is a video of what sounds like your similar:

And here is the thread to magazine follower modification he did (the photos are on post #12): Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks ...this is the info I need. First, the manual does say to load first round with slide release, however, I can rack the slide using the 6 round mag, but not the 7 round. I have ordered a mag follower for the 7 round mag. I love the gun and as I said, it's been 100% except for that issue of loading and that has been erratic.

And too...she is not bad looking.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks ...this is the info I need. First, the manual does say to load first round with slide release, however, I can rack the slide using the 6 round mag, but not the 7 round. I have ordered a mag follower for the 7 round mag. I love the gun and as I said, it's been 100% except for that issue of loading and that has been erratic.

And too...she is not bad looking.

She's a beauty! If I am ever in Alabama Iwill have to checkyour B&B

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I had a CM9 for a few years and it definitely needed some 'oomph' to load the first round. It was always a pretty reliable gun while shooting, only two failures if memory serves, but the mags were what made me eventually sell it. They suck. Numerous problems, but three in particular; the followers would crack, the rounds in your spare mag would empty into your pocket on their own, and I would frequently have the first round in my spare mag tilt nose down and then it would not chamber until you corrected it. The guns themselves are well built and have a lot of great features, but the mags....ooh the mags.

·
Registered
226 Posts
OP, that is a good looking gun. For looks alone, I've always thought Kahr has the best looking line of auto loading handguns made, regardless of caliber.

I've only owned two Kahrs. One is my P9 which is 7-8 years old and has been my hot weather carry since I bought it. In 1900+ rounds there has not been a single malfunction of any kind. I can slingshot load it or use the slide release as recommended by Kahr and it works every time. I did learn early on not to carry magazines in my pocket as it bleeds rounds out of the mag. I'm going to try one of the after market metal followers since it advertises that it cures this annoyance.

Last month I bought a CM380 for a specific carry purpose requiring a very small gun, preferably in stainless. It has had three jams in 300 rounds so I will shoot it more before considering it reliable.

I like the two Kahrs I have, but if they have a weakness I agree that it is the magazines.

Again, good looking Black Rose Kahr.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts