Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a Kimber Ultra Carry II which is the compact mini 1911. I already have a full size 1911 ( not a kimber ) and I love it. Seems the trigger perfect and hardly any recoil.

My question is to the people who know about Kimber since I dont know much about them I was wanting to know if this would be a good ccw gun? what do you like about them? any flaws? my local gun shop is willing to sell me one for around $800 is that a good deal? any and all advice would be appriciated.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It depends on your defenition of a good ccw gun. They are reliable, accurate and well made guns. I wouldn't carry one as all steel guns are to uncomfortable for me to carry because of the weight. If your not weight sensitive it's hard to beat a Kimber.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II in black. Upon purchase I had a slide stop issue that led to Fail-to-Feeds. Kimber replaced it with no problem and the gun functions flawlesslessly. With all Kimber 3 inch Ultra Carry guns, the field strip has an additional step with placement of an L shaped wire to hold the recoil assembly.

See the following link on Field Stripping:
YouTube - Episode 5.1 - Kimber Ultra Carry Fieldstrip

·
Administrator
21,270 Posts
It depends on your defenition of a good ccw gun. They are reliable, accurate and well made guns. I wouldn't carry one as all steel guns are to uncomfortable for me to carry because of the weight. If your not weight sensitive it's hard to beat a Kimber.
The Ultra Carry II isn't all steel, the SIS Ultra is all steel, but unless Kimber has widened their line again this year, the SIS Ultra is the ONLY all steel 3" 1911 that Kimber offers.

Personally, having owned four Kimbers, two of them being Ultras, one a CDP, and the other a Stainless Ultra Carry (both pre series IIs), I'd look at other vendors, I just don't think that Kimber is running an even keel regarding cost vs. quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love my UC and it is designed to be a concealed carry gun due to the aluminum frame. Probably has the best reputation among 3 inch barrel 45s.
Rubber grips soften the recoil and is an accurate gun. Would I ever sell my UC? No. Sounds like a good price for a new gun.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the ultra carry is a aluminum frame and not a steel frame. How is the recoil since it is so compact? I am not sure if i am "weight sensitive" I switch up what I carry depending on what I am wearing ( some things are easier to hide ) but in summber I use 9mm ( karh or taurus slim ) in winter I use grock 23. I am not sure how heavy the glock is, but I imagine the UC is similar in weight?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The recoil on the Kimber UC II is manageable. I was pleasantly surprised at the recoil. At 25 yards one gets good groupings. I believe the Kimber weighs 25 oz. Due to the design of the ejection port, the spent cartidges are thrown sufficiently away from the shooter!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also what other vendors do you suggest? I don't HAVE to purchase another gun but I have recently heard people talk good about kimbers so thats why I wanted to get feedback. so JD what do you think would be another vendor that has very good quality. money is not an issue to assure that my family and I are safe if god forbid anything should happen to us I want something that will go bang everytime without question weather its been fired 1 time or 1 thousand times

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The Ultra Carry II isn't all steel, the SIS Ultra is all steel, but unless Kimber has widened their line again this year, the SIS Ultra is the ONLY all steel 3" 1911 that Kimber offers.

Personally, having owned four Kimbers, two of them being Ultras, one a CDP, and the other a Stainless Ultra Carry (both pre series IIs), I'd look at other vendors, I just don't think that Kimber is running an even keel regarding cost vs. quality.
Agreed. Springfield, Smith & Wesson, and others are offering much better guns for sometimes less money.

A Colt Defender is an awesome little gun too which I would choose over a Kimber any day.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I field strip my EDC Ultra CDP w/o the tool. The Pro Carry (4") requires the tool. They're both light weight. I've had zero issues. I added CT grips and a 22 kit. I like the fact that all my fingers fit on the short grip, unlike combat tupperware in the same size. I also like the trigger better. But then, I'm a 1911 old fart. I have high regard for the SA loaded Micro Compact and the Colt Defender, as well.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I've got an Ultra Carry and a G19. The UC seems a little lighter than the G19, to me and also seems more compact. I've haven't had any trouble with the UC, once I got rid of the factory mags. Of course, Wilson mags fix a lot of 1911's functioning problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like Kimbers Pro series guns. The balance is just right, it's neither front or rear heavy. Makes for accurate shots and quick follow up shots. If you get the alloy frame model the light weight makes it a joy to carry all day. I carried a Pro Carry II for nearly 5 years before I had to sell it to help pay some medical expenses. :>(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the pro series seems to be a little big to carry or hide to me, how has it been when carrying? what are you carying it in ( what holster )

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I carry my Kimber Tactical Pro II in a VersaMax-II and can easily conceal it under a t-shirt. The right holster makes all the difference! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I have two Kimbers, both CDP's, an Ultra and a Compact. Great guns, very accurate...expensive!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I own a Kimber Pro-Carry HD II in 38 Super. It has a 4" Bbl., and the only issue I've had with it is wimpy PMC ammo that causes FTF,FTE problems, so I stick with Winchester. It's a great shooter with tight groups and is my current carry piece. Admittedly, Kimbers are high priced, but compared to some Colts I used to own, the Kimber is top notch.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Carry holster.........

the pro series seems to be a little big to carry or hide to me, how has it been when carrying? what are you carying it in ( what holster )
I carry mine in a Versa Max II. Makes it quite easy to conceal.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts