Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the range with the CDP II yesterday. Yowza! What a pleasure to shoot! Ran 225 rounds of WWB 230gr FMJ without a hiccup. Ran one mag of Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP +P as a test and it delivered just fine. I'm using 2 Wilson Combat 47OX mags. Once again, I was extremely pleased with Kimber's sight setup. Absolutely dead on, no adjustments needed here. Accurate, reliable, and comfortable. Everything I want it to be. About another 300 rounds of ball through her, then I'll start testing the JHPs to find the best load.

Shot another 100 rounds through the Desert Warrior with equally satisfying results. Kimber has certainly come through for me with this pair.

Digital camera's on the fritz, so no range pics this time, but here's the CDP II:

Be well and shoot well!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
nice piece ! the two-tone with the cocobolo (?) grips look great.
thats a three inch barrel correct ? were the wilson mags stock ?
Arthur

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Very nice - and reassuring to know such a short barrel piece can be good for function and reliability.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Glad that you had a good range day and the breakin' in process is advanceing according to plan.

My UC CDP II's both work flawlessly. Have changed out the springs in my training weapon once so far but probably didn't need to. Am keeping the spring set to reinstall when I get a couple thousand rds. on the new set.

The top end of your weapon will get kinda loose eventually(after several thousand rds.). I talked to Kimber and they stated that was normal and it will only make the weapon MORE reliable. I would agree with that statement. I explained to them how we trained, and what my weapon has been subjected to and they were kinda amazed. They felt that it was kinda at the extream end of the "normal use" chart.

They also restated that the "non steel" frame was good for "at least" 20K rds.

Hope you enjoy your Kimber as much as I do mine. Shootin'and carrying are both great. ---------

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Good looking weapon. My Kimbers hace always beem good to me.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
artz said:
nice piece ! the two-tone with the cocobolo (?) grips look great.
thats a three inch barrel correct ? were the wilson mags stock ?
Arthur

Hi, Arthur. The grips are rosewood, as are the ones I put on the Desert Warrior. You are correct, the Ultra model has the 3" barrel. Since I already had a full-size 1911, I wanted to go for the smallest version for concealed carry. I also considered models from Springfield Armory and Para Ordnance (both fine weapons) before deciding on this Kimber. It came with a single Kimber mag, so I bought the Wilson mags extra. I really liked the Wilsons I had already gotten for the DW.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P95Carry said:
Very nice - and reassuring to know such a short barrel piece can be good for function and reliability.
I'm real happy about that! I've read a few complaints about the reliability of the short barrel models, but no probs here. Accuracy (of the pistol, not necessarily of me!) was impressive, even at 25 yards, a greater distance than I'd ever expect to shoot in a defensive situation.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RSSZ said:
Glad that you had a good range day and the breakin' in process is advanceing according to plan.

My UC CDP II's both work flawlessly. . . .
Hope you enjoy your Kimber as much as I do mine. Shootin'and carrying are both great. ---------
I was really tempted by an Ultra Carry with the Crimson Trace laser grips for a hundred bucks less than the CDPII. Decided on the CDP II for the fit, feel and finish, and the ambi safety (my young bride's a lefty). I figured I can always add the CT grips if I ever want to.

Glad to hear yours are holding up so well, because it's so much fun to shoot, it's going to get a LOT of rounds through it!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
rodc13, But look what you got for the extra $$. Things that to me are a very big plus for a CC weapon. Total melt job >>ambi safety>>front strap checkered(drop by your local gunshop and see how much this'll cost ya)>>night sights. All needed for CC. Hey man,you done good.-------

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Congrad. on the pistol. I'm glad you liked it. I had to run 250 or so rounds through my 5"CDP before it got polished up enough to reliably feed JHP. It's a tack driver. I don't pack it as often as I do my 4" pistols.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
rodc13, Forgot to mention also,you ought to take a close look at the VZ brand grips. I have their canvas micarta on 3 of my 1911's including both of my CDP's. They are a tiny bit slimmer than the OEM's and are quite a bit rougher. I love 'em. -------

·
Registered
193 Posts
RSSZ could you please post pics of the VZ's on your CDP's? I am seriuosly wanting to get a set for mine but would love to see how they look first.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
RSSZ said:
rodc13, Forgot to mention also,you ought to take a close look at the VZ brand grips. I have their canvas micarta on 3 of my 1911's including both of my CDP's. They are a tiny bit slimmer than the OEM's and are quite a bit rougher. I love 'em. -------
Yes, I think the slimmer grips would probably be a good idea for a carry piece, and the VZs look great. Alumagrips have also been mentioned as an option to consider.

It's also been suggested that a higher capacity backup magazine would be a good idea, so I think I'll get the 100 round double-drum Beta-C. Shouldn't be too hard to conceal, do ya think?:image035:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I really like how the grips contrast against the gun's two-toned coloring.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Kimber has spent a lot of engineering on the cycle timing of their 3" guns. SA makes a good one too, but I like the Schwartz safety firing pin block on the Kimbers. The rosewood grips are good enough untill you put CT's on it. The slightly reduced velocity of the short bbl softens the recoil of the lightweight and makes it very controllable. Good choice. I recommend the heavier Barnes copper bullet, but Cor-Bon DPX should be the optimum for this platform. Enjoy, and don't pay any mind to the MIM ranters. There is nothing else on the market for the $$ that equals the Ultra CDP.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got to love them Kimbers

That is a sweeeeet piece!! I am really happy with my TC ll !! They are tack drivers!! Enjoy!!:yup:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Congrats on your CDPII. They are fine firearms. I have hogue grips with finger grooves on my Ultra Carry II. I real like those, it makes up for the lack of front checkering. My 3'' Kimber has been nothing but reliable, and a blast to shoot. Glad you are happy with yours.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just read some reports on the Cor-Bon DPX and it looks really impressive. I'm very anxious to try several loads out with the water-filled milk bottles, just to see for myself.

I've been thinking also of getting a chronograph. They're not too expensive and it would be really interesting to test different rounds. And maybe I need to get out all my reloading gear that's been boxed up all these years!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts