Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been carrying my Kimber K6s the last two days using front pocket carry with a El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max Horsehide holster while wearing dress slacks supported by an Armour 1 1/4" leather dress belt. While I had thought I would carry it for the week, it has been placed back into the gun vault. In my case the revolver was just too heavy for me to pocket carry comfortably in the dress slacks I have been wearing. The firearm wanted to move out of position when I sit, and it moves when I am stepping into my truck to be seated in such a manner as to turn sideways between my leg and seat belt arm.

What is the primary issue with making it difficult to pocket carry for me? I think it is the weight combined with the cut of my trouser pockets. It is a chunk of a handgun at 26 ounces fully loaded with six cartridges, very similar to the Ruger SP101, which weighs approximately 28.4 ounces loaded. Previously I had only carried the Kimber using an OWB holster and didn't think anything of it. But placed in my front pocket, the weight of the firearm became bothersome quickly. I have pocket carried many other handguns before in these trousers and never had any difficulty.

My desire to try this firearm in pocket carry came about as a result of the thread that has been going for about a week regarding what we had carried for the previous 30 days. I had carried a Glock G43, Ruger LCP 2, M&P Shield .45, and S&W M442, all in my pocket except for a few instances with the Shield IWB. When pocket carrying the Shield I had been wearing tactical pants with large pockets and had plenty of room to obtain a good grip on it.

Comparing what I had carried in my pocket with the Kimber K6s using fully loaded weights, I came up with the following.

Kimber K6s (6 rounds) - 26 ounces
M&P Shield .45 (7 rounds) - 24.5 ounces
Glock G43 (7 rounds) - 20.64 ounces
S&W 442 (5 rounds) - 17.1 ounces
Ruger LCP 2 (7 rounds) - 12.9 ounces

As you can see, the Kimber is the heaviest of the five and is 52% heavier than the S&W M442 and more than twice as heavy as the LCP 2. So, even though the dimensions of the Kimber K6s is similar to the S&W J frames, I will have to consider the weight when choosing how to best carry it and for now will stick to IWB or OWB.

IMG_5643.JPG

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I like the look, and I want one. I appreciate your input, and have yet to find a gun that can replace my 442 for ease and comfort of carry, in most any condition.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the look, and I want one. I appreciate your input, and have yet to find a gun that can replace my 442 for ease and comfort of carry, in most any condition.
Here are some other observations based on owning mine for 20 months now. The Kimber K6s has one of the best double action trigger pulls that you will find on a production revolver today. I like that fact that it is six shots and also that the cylinder is counter sunk bored for the cartridge case heads. Mine is finished impeccably. I don't care for the factory grips on mine, they are "sticky" to touch, more so than the factory boot grips on the S&W J frames. The weight of the piece does soak up some of the recoil of heavy loads, but it will still bounce in your hand when shooting heavy .357 magnums. And, as you might imagine, muzzle blast and noise can be significant. I usually load it with the same loads as I load in my other .38 Special snubbies: Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain JHP +P. That way I'm not having to mess around with different spare ammo speed strips or ammo in vehicles plus I can share ammo with the wife if need be when we're out and about.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have been carrying my Kimber K6s the last two days using front pocket carry with a El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max Horsehide holster while wearing dress slacks supported by an Armour 1 1/4" leather dress belt. While I had thought I would carry it for the week, it has been placed back into the gun vault. In my case the revolver was just too heavy for me to pocket carry comfortably in the dress slacks I have been wearing. The firearm wanted to move out of position when I sit, and it moves when I am stepping into my truck to be seated in such a manner as to turn sideways between my leg and seat belt arm.

What is the primary issue with making it difficult to pocket carry for me? I think it is the weight combined with the cut of my trouser pockets. It is a chunk of a handgun at 26 ounces fully loaded with six cartridges, very similar to the Ruger SP101, which weighs approximately 28.4 ounces loaded. Previously I had only carried the Kimber using an OWB holster and didn't think anything of it. But placed in my front pocket, the weight of the firearm became bothersome quickly. I have pocket carried many other handguns before in these trousers and never had any difficulty.

My desire to try this firearm in pocket carry came about as a result of the thread that has been going for about a week regarding what we had carried for the previous 30 days. I had carried a Glock G43, Ruger LCP 2, M&P Shield .45, and S&W M442, all in my pocket except for a few instances with the Shield IWB. When pocket carrying the Shield I had been wearing tactical pants with large pockets and had plenty of room to obtain a good grip on it.

Comparing what I had carried in my pocket with the Kimber K6s using fully loaded weights, I came up with the following.

Kimber K6s (6 rounds) - 26 ounces
M&P Shield .45 (7 rounds) - 24.5 ounces
Glock G43 (7 rounds) - 20.64 ounces
S&W 442 (5 rounds) - 17.1 ounces
Ruger LCP 2 (7 rounds) - 12.9 ounces
People's tolerance for pocket carry weight varies greatly. I'm currently pocket carrying a steel Taurus 605 that's (IIRC) an ounce and a half or so lighter than the SP101. (--edit to add--- 1 lb 8.6 oz, loaded and as equipped.)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have an Alabama pocket holster for my k6s and find it to be very comfortable in jeans, but I can't imagine trying to pocket carry it with dress slacks. I personally wouldn't pocket carry anything more than 15 or so ounces in dress slacks, but then, I don't wear slacks anymore, so I ain't gotta worry about that. I can pocket carry anything up to around 30 ounces in jeans with no problem. It's just a matter of getting use to the weight. I pocket carried my sp101 for years (27.5 ounces). Although here lately, I've mostly been carrying it sort of cross draw.

Your right, the K6S is a mighty fine revolver, I love mine. I put some wood grips on mine to make it more carry friendly.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
I tried carrying mine in a Desantis Nemesis. Worked OK in jeans, but now when I needed to have on slacks. I carry it in an IWB holster and it is great. I now carry a Micro 9 when I'm dressed up.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I can understand how 26oz would be too much for pocket carry. IWB or OWB on a belt it'd be no problem. That's a good lookin' gun. How do you like it?
I like it very much! Very smooth trigger pull and good accuracy for a 2" barrel. The weight, trigger pull, and sights all contribute to making it a good shooter.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an Alabama pocket holster for my k6s and find it to be very comfortable in jeans, but I can't imagine trying to pocket carry it with dress slacks. I personally wouldn't pocket carry anything more than 15 or so ounces in dress slacks, but then, I don't wear slacks anymore, so I ain't gotta worry about that. I can pocket carry anything up to around 30 ounces in jeans with no problem. It's just a matter of getting use to the weight. I pocket carried my sp101 for years (27.5 ounces). Although here lately, I've mostly been carrying it sort of cross draw.

Your right, the K6S is a mighty fine revolver, I love mine. I put some wood grips on mine to make it more carry friendly.
I like those wood grips. Are they Altamont? I don't carry appendix, so If I'm going to carry IWB or OWB it will be at 4 o'clock.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Of the pistols you listed, the Glock 43 would be my 1st pick.

If I had to choose between 7 rounds of 380 or 5 rounds 38 special - I did before and it was 380.
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
If I had to wear dress pants and a tucked-in shirt (God forbid) I'd prefer one of these two loads in that 380
Both loads penetrated at least 12'' after heavy clothing and consistently expanded in Lucky Gunner testing
Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr. FTX 13.2''/.52
Sig V-Crown 90 gr. 12.8''/.51

·
Registered
845 Posts
I find my limit on pocket carry comfort is about 20 oz empty weight.

And, 15-17 oz is better. (Lcr or 442)

My 431pd is my lightest at 13.3 oz empty -- and I forget it's in my pocket

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
That's why I went LCR 38...the only time I carry it is when I am wearing clothes that wont support my 1911. In these cases, I need something very light but something I could trust. The weight was why I went with the 38 versus the 357 version of the LCR....The 38 is 13.5 oz and the 357 is over 17 ozs. I have had limited luck with tiny autos as far as reliability. I do like the K6's 6 shot capability but I cant imagine setting one off in a vehicle or small room.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Kimber K6s not for Pocket Carry
It certainly would not be for me, not even close.

However, what I have come to accept - grudgingly - is that there is very nearly no pistol that someone here does not identify as being a "pocket carry" option. The handguns that pass as "pocket carry" used to surprise me.......no more. Uncle. I get it. Some people apparently just have much, much bigger pockets and belts and immunity to weight than I do.

Admittedly, for me, I can't see much past an LCP as a comfortable daily pocket carry. But history on these forums has shown me, what is a "pocket gun" is solely in the eye of the holder.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've tried a lot of stuff to replace my pocket carry piece. I keep coming right back to my old Smith 642. The Ruger KLCR comes close, but the 642 always wins out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts