Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience using Kimber 1911 mags in pistols other than Kimber?

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I have.

A 1911 magazine is a 1911 magazine, regardless of what name is stamped on the magazine body or from whom it was shipped.

I've mixed and matched Kimber 1911 magazines with Sig (1911) with S&W with Colt with Springfield. They all ran and run fine.

- Janq

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
As long as its another single stack 1911, it should work.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yep...^^

If the magazine is a double stack '2011' type magazine then it will not even fit at all in a single stack 1911 frame.
Vice versa a single stack '1911' magazine will be a very obvious misfit toward that of a double stack 2011 frame.
Further chambering between the two guns in questions have to be same such as .45 ACP to .45 and not say 9MM/.38 Super, .40 S&W etc.

- Janq

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I wanted to hear, because I need more magazines for my Taurus and the Kimbers are the most readily available in my area, and they're a little less money

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Why not order online and save yourself coin while getting quality magazines?

Chip McCormick aka 'CMC' FTW
Chip McCormick Custom, LLC™ - Most Reliable 1911 Magazines on the Planet

MidwayUSA - Chip McCormick Power Mag Plus Magazine with Base Pad 1911 Government, Commander 45 ACP 8-Round Stainless Steel
MidwayUSA - Chip McCormick Power Mag Magazine with Base Pad 1911 Government, Commander 45 ACP 10-Round Stainless Steel

I've been running CMC 'Powermag' 1911 magazines in 8 & 10 rd. capacity for many years and have had with them just one magazine failure. That magazines simply got old after thousands of rounds use over nearly eight years constant use.

Additionally I've had very good experience with the more expensive but functionally same as Wilson and Novak/ACT (OEM from Sig) magazines.
The only person restricting you to Kimber mags is you. :)

- Janq

·
Registered
211 Posts
Any standard single-stack 1911 mag should work but the gold standard seems to be the Wilson Combat mags. They are a little pricey but IMO worth it. Wilson mags have fixed a lot of 1911 issues over the years.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I just bought Wilson combat 8 round commander lengthmags from Dillo9n Precision for $25.00 ea +S&H,best price I've ever seen

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Stainless Kimber "Kim-Pro Tac-Mag" (around $27.00) seem to be of very good quality as well..
I'm not sold on the stock Kimber mags, they seem cheap, but to there credit I haven't had any issues with them.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Kimber 8-round mags work fine in my Springfield and Taurus 1911's.

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
I've never had a problem with my Kimbers or my Kimber mags...I've also purchased some Wilson Combat mags...they all work well.:yup:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Have mixed Kimber's with Springfield's & were just fine :yup:

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Kimber has used several vendors for their magazines, you shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
What they all said...
I ran my kimber mags in my colt markIV over this past weekend with no issues for about 4 hours of pretty much non-stop shooting(switched from the kimber to the colt halfway through the day).

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I went out and bought a Kimber mag yesterday. I'm impatient :spankme:. I'm going to check out the McCormicks, thanks Janq for the link.

The Kimber fits my gun alright, I'll shoot with it this weekend. It doesn't fall freely out of the gun, though. But neither did my stock mags until I oiled them and used them a bit. Pics aren't too good due to my phone camera, but you'll notice the only difference is the follower is shaped a little differently and the Kimber has a flat bottom, whereas the Taurus has a pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How critical are the pads on the bottom of mags?

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
How critical are the pads on the bottom of mags?
They aren't critical to using in the pistol itself, you can used either type magazine. They are critical to the magazines themselves though, because they function as the base plate.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They aren't critical to using in the pistol itself, you can used either type magazine. They are critical to the magazines themselves though, because they function as the base plate.
Is there any tactical, practical advantage? Is it easier to do a tap, rack malfunction clearance?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts