Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a short report on my new Kimber. Took it to the range this morning with no pre-prep. Did not clean prior to shooting. I shot 165 rounds of the following:

50 MaxxTech
50 Fiocchi Shooting Dynamic FMJ
21 PMC FMJ
25 Hornady Amrican Gunner XTP JHP
20 Colt copper JHP

No issues with any of the ammo. All loaded, fired, and ejected with no hiccups. Very easy shooter with no snapiness. Feels very good in the hand. A confident grip with no readjusting after the shots. Perfect fit and finish of materials and workmanship. High polish on the SS slide and the Bel Air blue is even and just really nice. It is a very similar color as was on the blue late 50's Chevy Belair. The safety was very deliberate but smooth. Did not feel prone to being inadvertently switch off. Size is smaller than I expected but just the size I would want for concealing. I could not be more pleased with the fit, finish, shooting experience, limited but promising reliability.

The color will not be for everyone, but I really like those 50's pastel colors so it is a great throwback memory for me. I have a Badger Concealment IWB kydex holster that covers the trigger and half of the safety just perfectly.

Kimber Micro 380 Bel-Air (1 of 1).jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I think that color looks ok on a 55 chevy, but not on a gun for me. Glad you like it and that it is working for you. Been considering a mini 1911 and was considering either a Sig 238 or the Kimber Micro. I have seen a lot more info on the Sig, glad to hear the Kimber is working out well.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My wife doesn't know it yet, but she's getting a Micro 380 for Christmas. Not the Bel Aire one though. I thought it was cool, but when I showed her a photo of it she panned on it. So I got her a two-tone one instead. (I wanted one with an ambi safety on it anyway, since I shoot left-handed and she shoots right.) I took it to the range to make sure it worked before giving it to her, and it was danged near perfect. The only ammo it didn't like was some Sig hollowpoints. They would occasionally fail to feed. Other than that, every kind of bullet I tried worked without a hiccup. Nice little pistol!

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
My mother had a car that color when we were kids.

All the other kids in town thought it was cool.

Biscayne?

I guess that's why I grew up liking Chevrolet.

I'm hoping to see the MICRO 9 in that Bel Air.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My wife has the Kimber Micro .380, the Advocate edition. Two tone, factory night sights. Beautiful little gun and a very nice shooter too. She picked it out, she shoots it well and it has me wanting the Micro 9 now. No pastels for me either, but the two tone models sure look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
No no no...it's a .380...will just bounce off the BG. The internet says so!

(I actually kinda like that color scheme. Nice)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the plain Jane model. However, I do like the ShoeBox Chevy look.

Probably the finest 380 I've owned. I've said it on here before I'm sure but the Kimber Micro displaced my J frame's place in my pocket for almost a year before I returned to my first love.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'd not feel confiodent carrying the Micros cocked and locked in an open top pocket holster,
but some do well with hammer down carry as the guns have firing pin safeties.

The main carry mode would be a belt scabbard or ankle holster, cocked and locked of
course.

Whether I can resist buying the two-tone before I buy a CZ P10 Sub-Compact that
will be @ SHOT for 2017, I don't know.

My Ruger 1911 shoots so soft and accurate, but the Micro 9 would be easier to hide
and not so heavy.

Such would also be lighter, and have a better trigger than my PPS M2 as well.

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Nice review! Good succinct descriptive content. Thanks!

It's Bel Air blue for sure. Impala blue too. Our neighbor behind us had a '58 Chevy Impala that color.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd not feel confiodent carrying the Micros cocked and locked in an open top pocket holster,
but some do well with hammer down carry as the guns have firing pin safeties.
I wouldn't want to carry this pistol in a pocket carry, cocked and locked. I get that there are folks that do and I respect their choice. Only pocket carry in my rotation is a holstered LCP. I will say that I could see carrying in the pocket with the hammer down as the hammer is easily reached with the thumb and not to stiff. Could pretty easily make it happen smoothly on the draw with practice.The kydex IWB I have for this Kimber feels great. Thin, supportive, covers trigger and half of the safety like a glove. Invisible with a colored t-shirt over it. I am maybe most struck by the diminutive size and weight. Maybe it is the rounded corners in the right places and the empty weight of 13.4oz. For an all metal gun, it feels lighter and more manageable than I expected.

I failed to include in my review that the trigger measures 7.0 lbs, averaging 10 pulls on my gauge. There were no outliers, they were pretty much all right at 7 lbs. No grittiness or play.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
One tester reported that some people had tracks across their hand, but onl to those with large hands.

The tracks would be a concern for me, as I've shot guns that did that.

Most reports/articles say the Micro 9s have less recoil than they thought
a 20 ounce mini 1911 should.

Kimber should get smart and Bel Air their Micro 9 as well.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Just a short report on my new Kimber. Took it to the range this morning with no pre-prep. Did not clean prior to shooting. I shot 165 rounds of the following:

50 MaxxTech
21 PMC FMJ
20 Colt copper JHP

No issues with any of the ammo. All loaded, fired, and ejected with no hiccups. Very easy shooter with no snapiness. Feels very good in the hand. A confident grip with no readjusting after the shots. Perfect fit and finish of materials and workmanship. High polish on the SS slide and the Bel Air blue is even and just really nice. It is a very similar color as was on the blue late 50's Chevy Belair. The safety was very deliberate but smooth. Did not feel prone to being inadvertently switch off. Size is smaller than I expected but just the size I would want for concealing. I could not be more pleased with the fit, finish, shooting experience, limited but promising reliability.

The color will not be for everyone, but I really like those 50's pastel colors so it is a great throwback memory for me. I have a Badger Concealment IWB kydex holster that covers the trigger and half of the safety just perfectly.

View attachment 165721
Makes an expensive gun look like a cheep toy. Glad you like it though. How much it set you back?

[Edit]

I guess the reflection on the slide gave it a chocolate kind of color which made it look even worse, but it actually does look too bad...

micro-bel-air_2.jpg

kimber-bel-air-31.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts

50 MaxxTech
21 PMC FMJ
20 Colt copper JHP

View attachment 165721

Well, the colors do sort of grow on me. I could see myself cruising around Miami while carrying and playing the theme from the old Miami Vice TV series.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...ew&id=15&vid=6edf3c71786e509abf5280cf2f50e60b

Heck of a lot better that the zombie green craze anyway.

If I were to be so bold though, I'd do it wih a Kimber Micro Carry 9mm (if the colors were available).

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I always have hated O.D., FDE and the silly cerakote colored handguns. I don't even go for 2 tone stainless pistols. I even see guys are replicating the pistols of their favorite comic book characters. The instant I saw the Kimber Bel Air I said out loud, yuck! Still do, but I find myself staring at it more and more. I think its the only 'colored' firearm I'd buy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts