Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday I visited my local Bass Pro to check out some Kimbers featured in their weekly ad. In particular was a two tone, desert tan Micro 9 model with a Crimson Trace laser grip for about $90 off regular price. Since I hadn't yet owned a Kimber, and I liked the feel, I bought it. This is a pretty small pistol, about 6" long and about 4" tall depending on the mag type. It comes with a flush 6 round and extended 7 round mag. The 7 round gives your pinky a place to rest. The sights are three dot, easy to see, big and bold. the single action has a small safety, small ribbed hammer and a comfy beaver tail. The trigger is a little "clunky", not all that smooth, but I hope it'll improve after a while. I'm not a huge fan of small, single action CC pistols, but the other features, overall quality, size and the added laser, (which I like), sold me enough to try this tiny Kimber. It comes in a cardboard box with a large glove for storage along with the usual stuff.

Lucky for me my range is just across the street from Bass Pro, so over I went to shoot. I'd planned on the range visit, purchase or not, and brought along my HK P2000sk and Kahr TP9. Usually I'd clean and lube first but, what the heck... I'm here. Does it work "out of the box"? Let's see. The gun is quite accurate. The manual says it's sighted in at 25 yards. The laser was spot on too. The trigger was a bit of a disappointment which looks like a 1911 style but isn't... but I have hope for improvement. I was shooting two other guns with vastly different triggers so that didn't help much either. No problem with reliability in the four mags I shot.

Shooting NATO ball, I was happy with the accuracy. Being a small, lightweight 9mm, the recoil is noticeable. The safety lever found the web of my hand and was a bit irritating. I don't think I'd want to shoot a couple hundred rounds at once. I normally carry a Beretta Pico, which is very small and ultra thin. Think the Pico is easier to shoot recoil wise than the Kimber. The Kimber is easy to get on target and feels great until the hammer falls. I've owned the other two guns, HK and Kahr for a long time and shoot them often. They are both softer shooting than the Kimber and easily the equal in accuracy. The Kimber could use some HK inspired recoil abatement technology.

This is one more to add to the collection. It could be a carry gun but won't be. It's only flaw in my opinion is the SA. I prefer DAO or DA/SA in a carry gun. Many other people worship the SA, but this one lacks the smooth trigger associated with SA. It isn't all that thick except for the laser bulge, which is optional of course. I'm a little disappointed but, Oh well... at least I own a Kimber now.

Here she is, tags and all.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Kimber's venture back into the micro pistol world again after the failed Solo.
I've been reading mixed reviews in this pistol, much like the Sig P938 when it first came out. Sounds like you got a good one. Looks good, too.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I picked up my very first Kimber last week as well. I chose the Micro 9, Raptor version with night sights. I haven't gotten to the range as yet but as they're very similar, I'm expecting it to perform pretty much like the Sig 938 I purchased last year. Why did I buy the Kimber? Well, I didn't have one and the Raptor is just so damned pretty.

Attachments

Reactions: tevans9129

·
Registered
343 Posts
My wife has the Micro 380. It's a sweet shooter, is spot-on accurate, and so far has been 100% reliable. Nice little pistol!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My wife has the Micro 380. It's a sweet shooter, is spot-on accurate, and so far has been 100% reliable. Nice little pistol!
Exactly. My wife really likes hers; and man, I gotta tell you that I do too. The little pistol is very accurate and hers has been flawless now with almost 600 rounds through it. I think the Micro 9 is my next purchase, just cause it's a shade bigger and it's also a 9mm. I like that they aren't hard on the eyes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts