Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my pistol permit letter on saturday. :danceban: Now time to buy a gun. I really like the pro carry ll. The ultra carry is nice, but being so short and such a steep feed ramp they seem to have problems. Whats everyones feeling on them here? Also I have been looking at lots of holsters. Im sure Ill go through alot but would still like some info. I plan on carrying IWB. Looking for input from anyone with this pistol and how they carry and the holster they use. Thanks! Josh

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Good gun...

I've had a Kimber Pro for about 5 years - it is the CDP model. It is a very nice gun and has worked perfectly through maybe 2000 rounds so far. I have modified it a bit with slim grip panels and a single side safety (it came with an ambi safety). I used to carry it in a Kramer OWB belt scabbard holster, but I haven't carried it for a couple of years. I think IWB would be best for concealment. The gun is very thin so it works well IWB. The grip is long so you have to get the cant angle just right to avoid printing when you lean forward.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Welcome to the forum Enginetech88,

I love my Tactical Pro II! I carry it often IWB and I have not had any feeding/ejecting issues with it. Out of 3 different 1911's it's one of my 3 favorites! :rofl:

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The Kimber CDP line is altogether outstanding. Either the Pro or Ultra models are excellent CCWs. An Ultra CDP II is my EDC choice. In the 5 years I've had it, it's been absolutely reliable, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the shorter barrel, if it suits you better.

I use a Tucker Answer IWB, a very comfortable and durable concealment holster.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
I own both......but I do favor the Pro Carry over the smaller Ultra. Plus, my wife took the Ultra for herself.......

The Ultra is a little more finicky on ammo. Both are good firearms....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
A bobtailed Pro is my favorite, but there is another option if you like the shorter grip for concealment. Watch for a Kimber Compact. It has the same 4" barrel as the Pro, but an Ultra sized grip. Similar to a Colt CCO.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have an Ultra, it's ultra-reliable...

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I had the Pro CDP and the Ultra CDP...my Pro had the external extractor, so I traded the Pro for the Compact CDP.
The Compact has the shorter grip with the longer barrel...the best of both worlds if you prefer the shorter grip for concealment.:image035:

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the Ultra in the Raptor flavor.
Carries well in a Milt Sparks 60-TK OWB.
Pro, Compact or Ultra... you'll love it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ultra Carry SP II

I purchased an Ultra Carry SP II last Thursday. Concerned about all the things that one would be with such a light/ high power pistol I took it to the country last weekend and put some rounds through it. I used everything the local gunshop had. About 1,000 rds of various ammunition. Here's what I found: Not one missfire! It fed everything I threw in it and even fed great with standard 1911 magazines. And the night sights? Incredible! Kimber really has made me a believer. Wow what a great weapon.

I have a Colt Commanding Officers model that this is replacing as my carry gun. That thing was finiky. The kimber has no problems at all that I can find. Also, I carried it from Thursday through Sunday in a SOB holster and it was great. It's so lite, narrow and small I was wearing just a t-shirt and had no issues. With the Colt I had to wear an untucked shirt and a t-shirt to conceal it properly. In times I was wearing a suit I carried a Beretta Tomcat in an ankle holster. No more. The UC II is at my side from now on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

WOW! Some really good information! Thanks! I really like mods to the CDP models but they are just ouside my price range. But thats alright. Seems like the ultra carry can carry its own weight. Good to hear. Ill have to keep that in the back of my head. Glad to see the different carry styles too. Im taking lots of notes! I had looked at the compact, they look kinda goofy to me. Just not my thing I guess. As far as the external extractor goes... Are they really that bad? Are all the ll series internal extractors? You guys are a ton of help. Feeling more comfortable to buy with every post. Josh

·
Registered
73 Posts
I purchased an Ultra Carry SP II last Thursday. Concerned about all the things that one would be with such a light/ high power pistol I took it to the country last weekend and put some rounds through it. I used everything the local gunshop had. About 1,000 rds of various ammunition. Here's what I found: Not one missfire! It fed everything I threw in it and even fed great with standard 1911 magazines. And the night sights? Incredible! Kimber really has made me a believer. Wow what a great weapon.
This has also been my experience. I have fired about 300 rounds through mine in the last month since I bought it and no malfunctions, even though Kimber does warn about a break in period.

I have shot both standard 230 grain FMJ and Remington 230 grain Golden Sabre JHP, and both feed flawlessly and fire very smoothly.
It is a very accurate firearm for a small 1911.

One thing to think about though....

It comes with only one mag. I would consider buying Wilson Combat mags afterwards, possibly the ones with extended base pads. The Kimber factory mag is a low profile base, which fine unless you decide to install a magwell like me. With the magwell installed the factory mag can longer be loaded using the base of the palm.

If you just plan on leaving it the way it is, still you should get the better quality Wilson Combat mags, the followed is better constructed.

Just my .02

·
Registered
126 Posts
As of now my Pro Carry II is the flagship of my pistol collection. It shoots great, never jams and carries like a dream. I had mine duracoated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As of now my Pro Carry II is the flagship of my pistol collection. It shoots great, never jams and carries like a dream. I had mine duracoated.
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but could you post some pic's of your's durocoated? Thinking about that myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be looking at spare mags. Thanks for the idea! I never really thought about it. eah if you had a picture of the duracoated pro carry i would love to see it too. Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here you go. I had it done over the summer. The hardest part is not being able to really use it for a few weeks waiting for it to fully cure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I sometimes carry an Ultra II CDP and have never had a problem with ammo feed. The Ultra is easier to conceal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought a Pro-Carry II about a year ago and it didn't run reliably. I had numerous FTE's and with it.

I know there is a "break-in" period with Kimber guns and I was at almost 750 rounds and still having issues.

Finally I read about a spring kit from Wolff. I called them and purchased the kit and low and behold, the gun ran right.

The people at Wolff told me that they provide springs to Kimber and Kimber knows that the spring they provide with the gun is not correct but they continue to sell the gun with that spring in it.

I was really disappointed that I spent $900.00 for a gun that I didn't run right and had to purchase a $30.00 spring kit to fix it.

I still have the gun but cannot bring myself to employ it as a carry piece. I don't feel that I can trust it even though I have several hundred rounds through it with the new spring kit.

This is just my experience with the Pro-Carry II and as always, YMMV.

Be Safe,

NosaM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts