Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know. is a kimber worth the cost. What is so good about a kimber that a Hk or a sig doesn't have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I want to know. is a kimber worth the cost. What is so good about a kimber that a Hk or a sig doesn't have.
1911, J M Browning, class, not just Kimber, but all 1911s. Kimber is nicely finished, there are better guns for more money.

check www.1911forum.com

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Personally, having owned four Kimbers, I would say no. Especially when you start getting into the "fancy" Kimbers that are nothing more than not-so-fancy 1911s given tacticool sounding names and a nice paint job.

For the same amount of money (and sometimes less) you can get a better 1911. Or, if you are already paying a ton of money for a 1911, save up a little more and buy a truly custom gun.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
My two Kimbers have nice names, great paint jobs, and they were expensive...great guns and I have appreciated both...:image035::yup:
I have also seen other $2,500 - $3,000 (big names/quality) guns fail to the disappointment of new owners.
If it's mechanical it can fail...OMOYMV

·
Registered
967 Posts
I like mine, alot. It's my EDC. Very accurate, smooth action, easy for me to carry, and so far been very reliable. Even though it was a gift. I'd have a hard time paying close to, or over 1,000 bucks for any hand gun. Unless it just really tickles my fancy. Yes, some are worth it.

SO if you really like them, and really want a Kimber then get one.... not bad guns IMO.

Opinion WILL vary.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've owned 2 that came with some bugs. After the bugs were taken care of, they were very good pistols. Would I buy another? If I got a great deal on one, sure, but I'd also be prepared to invest a few more bucks in case of an infestation. :wink:
When you get upwards and over 1k, like my last Kimber would have been if it was new, there are a lot of options that might give you more than dress up for the money.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's worth what you're willing to pay for it. I would say no if you're paying close to retail, but if you can get one for around 800 I would say yes.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have a 25th anniversary Kimber that I purchased 5 years ago.

I got what I felt was an excellent buy at $700.00 and it has been flawless in performance. However, a lot of what I have read and observed for Kimbers produced in the last couple of years leads me to think that they are over-priced for what you get. If I were looking today, I'd probably be looking at a Springfield.

Hoss

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Is anything you purchase worth the cost?

Mostly depends on how badly you want it and what you pay for it. :22a:

Kimber Custom II ........ I've got less than $600 in it and it runs like a well oiled sewing machine.

Kimber Warrior .............. $850 :hand5: ........ 2000 issue free rounds down the pipe.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My only Kimber now. It was problematic at first but after everything settled in, it is great. Worth the money ? Because it was a painful start I wouldn't do it again. Glad I have this one though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Kimber Ultra Tactical - It's a great gun, and I really like it.
Would I buy it again? No. I have a Springfield Champion that feels to me like a much better firearm, and it cost me much less. I think the Kimbers are nice, but overpriced.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I've purchased three Kimbers and all are outstanding handguns, as well as being excellent values for the prices I paid.

My EDC, an Ultra CDP II, purchased new for $925.00.
My primary home defense handgun, a Desert Warrior, purchased new for $935.00.
My latest acquisition, a Custom Stainless (5"), purchased used, in almost-new condition, for $700.

All three are utterly reliable and extremely accurate. I'd have no qualms about buying another Kimber.

As is the case for any handgun, I'd always look for the best deal and wouldn't pay MSRP. Check for features you want and figure what they're worth to you. You can take a basic 1911 and upgrade it, or purchase one with factory-added extras. Make your decision based on what delivers the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got a Grand Raptor II and I love it. 1000+ rounds without issue of anything I fed it. Great trigger, great fit and finish, and everything works as it should.

I plan on buying another Kimber before too long.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Kimber's *glitter* for some reason. I don't know what it is about their looks but whatever it is that makes people buy a gun, Kimber has it.

However, there are better 1911's out there for the same or a bit more $. Take a good look at Dan Wesson (CZ). MSRP is only about $100 more the last time I checked and the DW is a MUCH better piece.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You get what you pay for..be it guns,women or golf clubs.:hand5:
I think their worth it..JMO

ETA: plus they look so good

1 - 20 of 29 Posts