Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new handgun. I plan on using it for concealed carry when I travel and hopefully in my home state if they approve conceal carry. I recently was looking at a Kimber Solo carry. I will start out by saying I am a huge fan of Glock and that is my other option. I am well aware of size and capacity difference so there's really no need to get into any of that here. I am looking for any experiences people have had with the Kimber and am wondering how it is to shoot and are all of the reliability problems that I have read about for real or not? There is about a $200.00 price difference so I want to to know if I should just stick with what I know I love or is it worth the extra money to try the ultra compact Kimber?

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
I had 3 Kimbers...loved them...great shooters, but overpriced IMHO.
Sold the 3 Kimbers and now own 6 Glocks.
The simplicity of Glock is unbeatable.
Save the extra $$ for ammo and get the Glock, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I am with Retsupt99....get the Glock....it will quickly become your go-to carry gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. You are all confirming what I thought to be the case. Not to change the thread completely but let me ask this. I have carried the g26 but for my next one I was thinking about either the gen4 30 or the 30S which only comes in Gen3. Do any of you have any experience with these? How hard is it to carry either one. I use a N82 Tactical IWB holster which is awesome and will accomodate any of the Glocks.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
My vote would be on a glock 26 as well as long as you are not planning on pocket carry. Higher capacity, no thumb safety, and simplicity would be just a few reasons.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am Biased by my unjustified mistrust of striker fired firearms for CC, which is why I carry my storm compact, but I am a huge Glock fan, and would pick a Glock over the Kimber as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a RSO and instructor. I see a lot of Kimber Solo's on our range. Nice looking guns, but some can be very ammo sensitive. I am not knocking Kimber, I own and often carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I do not own a Glock, but I have shot them and they seem to always work flawlessly. When I need to conceal, I find the single stacks to be far superior to the Glocks. My choice then goes to a Kahr PM9 or a M&P Shield.

·
Registered
21,481 Posts
Glock over about everything there is, unless its Colt, CZ, or BHP. Then its just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
hard to beat a G26/27/33 for daily carry. If you want something smaller in the single stack variety, a Kahr CM9/CW9, SW Shield, Beretta Nano, Bersa BP 9CC can be had for about 1/2 the
cost of the Solo. Solo is a nice gun, but pricey for what it is.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hard to beat a G26/27/33 for daily carry. If you want something smaller in the single stack variety, a Kahr CM9/CW9, SW Shield, Beretta Nano, Bersa BP 9CC can be had for about 1/2 the
cost of the Solo. Solo is a nice gun, but pricey for what it is.
I have to agree here. I EDC a Glock 26 95% of the time. When I require something a bit thinner, I go with my Kahr CM9 which only set me back $419 brand new. It is not identical but similar to the glock set up in that it is striker fired, no thumb safety with a long, smooth trigger pull. My preference however, is the Glock by a long shot.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Ok. You are all confirming what I thought to be the case. Not to change the thread completely but let me ask this. I have carried the g26 but for my next one I was thinking about either the gen4 30 or the 30S which only comes in Gen3. Do any of you have any experience with these? How hard is it to carry either one. I use a N82 Tactical IWB holster which is awesome and will accomodate any of the Glocks.
I have the 30SF and the 36 (and some others :smile:)...I have carried the 30, but I find it to be a little heavier than the 36 for all day carry.
There are discussions about how many rounds one needs for SD...6 +1 is more that most revolvers, so my Glock-36 is my EDC...a tiny bit thinner than the 30 and a bit lighter, too!
I do carry the G-30SF at times, but the fact it has a few more rounds really means nothing. If you can't get it done with the 7 of the '36', a few more rounds with the '30' probably are not going to make that much difference.OMO

Do look at the G-36...it's a dream to CC, and I like the .45 holes.

Reactions: Smarshe

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
I have the 30SF and the 36 (and some others :smile:)...I have carried the 30, but I find it to be a little heavier than the 36 for all day carry.
There are discussions about how many rounds one needs for SD...6 +1 is more that most revolvers, so my Glock-36 is my EDC...a tiny bit thinner than the 30 and a bit lighter, too!
I do carry the G-30SF at times, but the fact it has a few more rounds really means nothing. If you can't get it done with the 7 of the '36', a few more rounds with the '30' probably are not going to make that much difference.OMO

Do look at the G-36...it's a dream to CC, and I like the .45 holes.
The more I read about the G36 the more I want it. My safe yearns for more Austrian plastic!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a Glock 19 and a 26 and am a fan of these handguns. I also have a Kimber Solo and have found it to be an excellent handgun. It is a matter of taste as both the Glocks and Solo perform very well. The Kimber is a better choice for concealment as it is smaller than the Glocks. They are all reliable and accurate. If you like the Kimber, give it a try.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The recoil has some snap to it but it is not a problem to control. It is a well balanced handgun and has excellent ergonomics. It's all about practice, practice and more practice if you can afford the ammo. I shoot the Solo frequently and have not had problems with reliability and have tested it with high quality defensive ammo and it has functioned without problems. I also carry a S&W Shield in .40 S&W and it has more snap than the Solo. Price wise the Shield is a great buy. The Solo is a nicely designed handgun that is more expensive, but I think it is worth the $ spent based on my experience.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I recently compared a Gen 4 G30, a G30 SF, and a G30s side by side. For me the Gen 4 felt the best in my hand, so I went with it. I'm surprised at how easy the 30 is to shoot well. I don't know a lot about the Solo but my local dealer has had to send several back to Kimber for FTE issues.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts