Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a Carry 45acp in something like a 1911 style. The smallest two I could find were these 2. Are there any others I am missing. They seem very similiar in specs.
Of these 2 which would you go for and why?

Kimber = 6.8long, 4.75high, 25oz
Para = 6.75Long, 4.75high, 24oz

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
What about width?
I'd go with the Kimber, but then I have two of them.:yup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Para Slim Hawg Stainless Steel. I like sayin' "hawg". I believe the Hawg might be a bit cheaper discount retail. I held a Para Carry LDA the last month at the gun show and it left an impression on me with it's thin grip and good shooting posture. No particular reason other than those. One thing for sure is I'd like to shoot them both before buying one. Finding a SS hawg is next to impossible.

I'm also considering the new Springfield Armory EMP series. I think I'd take 9mm, and I do want to shoot one first. If anyone in the Austin TX area has any compact 45, drop me a line. I'd pay for your range time and ammo for a few clips down the pipe. I ain't dropping major coin on a $1000 pistol without absolutely loving it first. You'd be welcome to shoot any of my pistols and rifles, ammo on me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
the para carry cco is what i planned on getting as my carry gun, I love the features and they way they feel in my hand. But not that hawg model, i didnt like em, felt too fat or something weird. Look at the regular carry models. Only reason i went with a glock was price, little over 500 compared to like 800-900 for that para. Still want one though

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can't speak of the two that you have listed, however, I can about one you missed...

Colt New Agent

I added the Crimson Trace Laser Grips and an Ed Brown Extended Thumb Safety.

It only has about 300 rounds through it but has never jammed.

Trying to use the trench sight takes some getting used to, but I practiced more point shooting with this one. I sighted the CT Laser Grips to about 25 feet. Dead on with Remington Golden Sabers.

I paid $830 for it a couple years ago. Prices are still in the $800 range.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the para carry cco is what i planned on getting as my carry gun, I love the features and they way they feel in my hand. But not that hawg model, i didnt like em, felt too fat or something weird. Look at the regular carry models. Only reason i went with a glock was price, little over 500 compared to like 800-900 for that para. Still want one though
The slim Hawg felt too thick?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The slim Hawg felt too thick?
for me,yes, compared to the other carry models they offer, which are pretty much the same size, also i didnt want the thumb guard or hammer sticking out, the carry models have a better setup that wont get snagged on something while pulling out the gun. I looked at para for a while at every gun show i went to, nice guns. People had nothing but good things to say about them

·
Registered
5 Posts
I second the New Agent. I found one locally for $795 and will be picking one up soon. Gunshop has a good smith too that does everything under the sun for 1911's. I may change out the grip safety and do a carry melt if I feel it's needed after giving it a thorough break in at the range.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have a Kimber, have had Colts and a Springer...stay with one of those...Para has never impressed me...They aren't on the approved mfr. list for my former agency...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Kimber vs Para: Kimber all the way. Kimber vs Springfield vs Colt New Agent: Kimber or Springer. IMHO

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Kimbers remind me of beautiful women. They may be lovely to look at and a delight to hold, but all of them I have had dealings with are NOT trustworthy and loyal.

Unless you are willing to dump big bucks on a "custom" go with a Colt or Springer. My choice for EDC is a Springfield Micro Compact.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Springfield makes several 3" & 4" 45's and their EMP has had great reviews, also costs 1200... Kimber also has more models than just that one as well... you have plenty to choose from, happy hunting!

·
Registered
35 Posts
interesting thread

Since I picked up a used para-12 for a song, I replaced the mag spring with a wolf spring and it has been stone cold reliable

I can say that it is of equal quality to my West German SIG p226,HK 9mm, or colt wheel gun and the para is of equal reliability

quickly became a favorite

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'd go with the Kimber. My buddy was sold (without seeing one) on the SlimHawg. He wouldn't even consider the Kimber. Sooooo....we went down to some shops last week. 2nd shop we go into has both. Only took about 3 minutes of holding both before he realized that the Kimber just felt better. He ended up ordering an Stainless Ultra Raptor II....should be in tomorrow.

I've been drooling over Kimbers for a while. Will be my next purchase.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts