Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kimber ultra carry. I've been looking at one of these beauties, just wondering if anybody has any input on them. Does anyone have one?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have a Tactical Ultra II... It's a great gun... Extremely accurate. I use Wilson mags and have no issues with it at all... It carries really well IWB...

Get one, you won't be disappointed...

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I have the Ultra CDP...almost same gun...I like it!:yup::hand10:

·
Registered
74 Posts
What are your reasons for choosing this model? I considered getting a 3-3.5" barrel 1911 but decided that a commander length slide is just as easily concealed and not much heavier plus the advantages of a having a longer barrel, a little more weight and more rounds in the gun. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an Ultra Carry II, and love it. Light enough and small enough to carry all of the time. In hind sight, I might get the Commander model to have the extra length on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
What are your reasons for choosing this model? I considered getting a 3-3.5" barrel 1911 but decided that a commander length slide is just as easily concealed and not much heavier plus the advantages of a having a longer barrel, a little more weight and more rounds in the gun. Just food for thought.
It isn't the length of the slide or barrel that hinders concealment, but, rather, the size of the grip. I believe the commander has the larger grip, with the Ultra Carry having the officer sized grip, which makes it easier to conceal.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I too have an UC II model. It is my EDC, and very easy for me to conceal. With my UBG Striker IWB holster I can conceal well (while comfy N cool) all year round.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had a CDP Ultra II. Loved it. It was very accurate and the nights sights were BRIGHT. I ended up trading it on an older Elite Carry because that's what I really wanted in the first place. It has a 4'' barrel and still has the officer's grip (which I prefer). The Elite Carry is basically Kimber's CDP Compact before they offered the CDP line.

·
Registered
66 Posts
UCII

I've had one for a year or so in 9mm, EDC in a Tucker IWB and love it. Never had a malfunction of any kind. I put 24/7 night sights on it. Have shot the .45 and like it as well.

·
Registered
40,378 Posts
I can't speak from personal experience on Kimbers, but my son's often has a FTE, and the only other guy I know with one has feeding problems also. He's ready to sell it. I'd check with others who own and shoot before I spent that much money on one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the UC II. Awesome gun. No FTF yet. Easy to conceal. My favorite weapon. I also have a .40 Springfield XD sub compact, but since I bought the Kimber I never carry the XD anymore...:) It's so damn fat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the Compact CDP II that has the shorter officer grip but 4" barrel. I love this pistol and the extra barrel length IMO makes a difference. I was looking at the Crimson Ultra Carry but went with the CDP.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the UCCII (with crimson trace laser grips) that's great. Relatively lightweight (with the right belt and holster you forget you have it on) and a fine shooter. Mine has run perfect right out of the box. The only thing I changed was having the front strap checkered.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After going back to kimber my UC II is great

My EDC is a Ultra Cary II.

I bought it new and went through the 500 round break in period recommended by Kimber. The whole time the gun suffered from FTEs, some FTF(eed), and sometimes the slide would lock back before the magazine was empty. This continued on after the break in period so I sent the gun back to Kimber. It took Kimber about 5 months to get the gun back to me but since its come back it's been great. I've put a couple of thousand rounds of both FMJ and JHP without problems. I've also shot this gun in IDPA matches with no problems that could be blamed to the gun (on one stage I had to shoot at an awkward angle and limp wristed the gun which caused FTEs).

So if you get a good one, the UC II is a great gun. If you get one with issues send it back and Kimber will make it right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Pro Carry II and it is great, also a Ultra CDP II, I carry one or the other depends on my mood. Also carry a Ruger LCP for backup.
:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
74 Posts
It isn't the length of the slide or barrel that hinders concealment, but, rather, the size of the grip. I believe the commander has the larger grip, with the Ultra Carry having the officer sized grip, which makes it easier to conceal.
Which is why I would suggest a CCO or bobtailed commander. But if lightest and smallest is the point then officer model for sure.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I've seen more Kimbers malfunction than any other brand of 1911 except for LLamas. Most were chopped models. I went through a nightmare experience with a Springer Champion that saw 5 trips back to the factory and will never carry any barrel length less than the original 5" model so I'm glad I kept my reliable 5" SA Standard. It's 19 years old and still going strong after 50k+ rounds and will feed a pancake.

I know there are good ones out there but for that kind of money the pistol should fire after proper break in, proper maintenance and mags.

JMO and no hard feelings.

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Missus Mac has the Ultra Aegis II in 9mm. It has been flawless out of the box. It's scary accurate and easy to tote.

Based on her experience, I got the Ultra CDP II also in 9mm - we're trying to standardize on ammo. I had a few FTFs during the break in, and am still experiencing the odd FTF about once every 100 rounds. It doesn't happen with my SD ammo, so it is still my EDC, but the infrequent FTFs have me thinking about sending it back for a tweak.

I absolutely love the Kimber for its concealability, accuracy, and racy good looks. However, I am a bit miffed that I still have the infrequent FTF. I have started lubing it a bit more based on input from a gunsmith, and will have another go at the range after the holidays.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I sometimes carry an Ultra CDP II and it's sweet! Light, accurate and beautiful. I don't carry it all the time because I kind of "baby" it. I do care if it gets scratched up or dropped. It is pricey but you won't regret buying one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts