Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks,
I'm anxious to get my new Kimber today. Ordered a 1911 Tactical Pro II. Seems reviews are mixed, anyone care to share there feedback on this gun or Kimber in general?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I've only got a few hundred rounds through my Gold Match II, but it's been flawless so far.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I cant afford to own one, but I have at least 200 flawless rounds through my friends stainless TLE ...... i love shooting it. A raptor is on my to buy list one of these days

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Is Kimber the high priced version of a Taurus? I know there are plenty who defend them but also a lot of chatter about reliability issues and that dreaded MIM debate. I have no dog on this fight. I'm considering an Ultra Carry 2 myself. What makes me pause is the hate many have for this brand.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Kimbers are fine pistols. I've owned three and have had nary a hiccup from any of them. Are there some lemons out there? No doubt, but when you make and sell as many guns as Kimber does there will be a few specimens of less than perfect quality. And the owners of those lemons cry out at the top of their lungs about what pieces of trash they are, so you hear about it in a disproportionate manner. Believe me when I tell you that there are many, many happy Kimber owners to every one hater.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Is Kimber the high priced version of a Taurus? I know there are plenty who defend them but also a lot of chatter about reliability issues and that dreaded MIM debate. I have no dog on this fight. I'm considering an Ultra Carry 2 myself. What makes me pause is the hate many have for this brand.
Folks that can't afford a Ferrari or pay admission to the showroom floor will tell how much they stink. I've got a Kimber. Beautiful pistol...Kimber custom shop...nothing finer...Go buy a Taurus.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I've read about problems with the Solo pocket pistols, but otherwise they seem to have a good rep.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I would depend on my Kimber Ultra II CDP with my life. It has always worked as it should. I've heard that some of the latest models were problematic but I have not experienced that with my Kimber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is my first 1911. I've really struggled with what to buy, shoot and carry. I shot one at the range maybe a year ago, and I loved the trigger and was dead on with tit. I know a couple friends that loves their's; one told me the resale never goes away, so I decided to buy one. I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I own a Kimber Pro Carry II, Beautiful trigger, dead on, absolutely no problems. Paid $975 and I gor a great gun. See avatar.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Folks that can't afford a Ferrari or pay admission to the showroom floor will tell how much they stink. I've got a Kimber. Beautiful pistol...Kimber custom shop...nothing finer...Go buy a Taurus.
It's Kimber owners (or previous owners) that rag on the brand. I think they shelled out as many dollars as you did. I never owned a Kimber but I'm interested in one. And yes I can afford one just in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Kimber makes a fine handgun, as does S&W, Kruger, Walther, and many others, even Taurus. They also make a few lemons, it's just the nature of the beast, that is a man made mechanical product. You buy one and it works or it doesn't. If not you get it fixed r replaced. It's even worse now because all of the assembly lines are running at Max capacity and that always hurts quality.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
It sure is pretty. It looks a little big for EDC but if you dress around it it should be OK. without being a wise guy if you have already ordered it and ready to pick it up isn't a little late to be asking opinions about the gun? I know some people that own Kimbers and they like them but it is definitely more money that I prefer to spend on a pistol.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It's Kimber owners (or previous owners) that rag on the brand. I think they shelled out as many dollars as you did. I never owned a Kimber but I'm interested in one. And yes I can afford one just in case you were wondering.
Sorry. I was just chain yanking. I've got one. Is it superior to my Sig-220? Well, not really. It's a pretty gun, in my opinion, but in the end, that's all it is. A Kia will still get you down to the grocery store.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I own 6 Kimber's and every one of them works just fine. I purchased all of mine in the '90's. There was a period of time when Kimber went to an external extractor and there seemed to be a lot of complaints with ejection problems, another time there was a change in management and quality control suffered. Kimber is like any other manufacturer, there are going to be problems at some time or another so, take all of the complaints with a grain of salt and try one out for your self and see if it is what you expect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sure is pretty. It looks a little big for EDC but if you dress around it it should be OK. without being a wise guy if you have already ordered it and ready to pick it up isn't a little late to be asking opinions about the gun? I know some people that own Kimbers and they like them but it is definitely more money that I prefer to spend on a pistol.
I've got a few different EDC's so i'm not to worried about. I've been kicking around the 1911 for about a year, seems there was always something I wasn't 100% sold on. I really liked the Springfield TRP however not a fan of carring a 5" and knew i wanted a .45 so I wasn't interested in less than 4 inches. I have two friend that really enjoy and relay on the Kimber and one said the resale you'll never go wrong on. I'm not sure about NH however here in the Midwest it's tough to find a Kimber so I' jumped on it when it came available.

·
Registered
773 Posts
A family member just got a Eclipse Pro II and the gun feels awesome. Front strap checkering, night sights, steel frame, bull barrel etc. Racking the slide is extremely smooth and the gun fed hollow/fmj just fine. It did have a minor problem ejecting brass straight to your forehead but Im sure that's an easy fix with an extractor adjustment. It does kind of suck that you pay over a grand and you get 1 magazine. I have a Colt xse government but I would consider a kimber custom 2 to play with and not worry about getting scratched like I do my colt

1 - 20 of 45 Posts