Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when we first started talking about these on the forums I kind of knew that I could see myself getting one. Today I saw one in the wild. Actually I saw two, but the 1700 bucks for a "First Edition" model was a little much :blink: Pretty gun though.

I haven't shot it yet, tomorrow hopefully, but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion about this snub. I like it.

The trigger pull is a little heavier than my LCR, but it's also shorter. It's just as smooth. And it has this nifty thing. It's almost like a two-stage trigger. The first stage rotates the cylinder and you can hear the cylinder click into place. The second stage is just a slight squeeze more to squeeze one off. You can stage the trigger so easily on this it had to be by design. Not quite as light a break as shooting a DA in SA, but darn close to it. I can't see anyone saying they wish it had a hammer for accuracy shooting.

It has the looks and feel of quality all around. The rubber grips are perfect in the hand. Kind of an odd color... I'm not sure if they are dull black, gray or slate blue. I guess slate would be a good description.
The cylinder rotates out nicely, spins forever, and pushes back into place with the feel of tight tolerances. Typical Kimber product. As is the fit and finish.
And like Kimber products it's not exactly cheap. Compared to a Ruger SP101 Talo model it's a hundred bucks more, so if you look at it that way it helps justify its price a little bit. *A little*. After all, it is Kimber's first revolver. I imagine they are milking that fact a little.
It's a beautiful piece and for those of us that appreciate function and form, it rates right up there. And you gotta love a six shot snub in a small package.

Another nice thing is it fits in my Nelson appendix rig that was made for my SP101.
A little lighter, one more round :smile: And Kimber throws in a nice rug and a speed strip.

·
Super Moderator
19,204 Posts
You description of the trigger doesn't sound at all like a Ruger LCR.

Hah, almost sounds more like a two-stage Model 1903 Springfield trigger.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You description of the trigger doesn't sound at all like a Ruger LCR.

Hah, almost sounds more like a two-stage Model 1903 Springfield trigger.
Yes, they aren't really alike at all. Hard to beat Ruger's cam action.
I've never felt a trigger like this on a revolver, but I'm not a revolver guy. No revolver I've ever shot operated this way.
It's got a short pull and like I said, if you want to stage it you don't even need to think about it. You can hear the click when the cylinder brings up the next round. It's really different. Worth fondling if you run into one in the shop.
It will be interesting to see if anyone even requests a trigger kit for it or talks about polishing parts. It's smooth enough right out of the box. At least to me it is.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Is there a double like button??!!!!!

I knew you couldn't stand it. That is one sweet looking gun and at 23 ounces should be a joy to carry too. Those pics just moved this one way up on my want list! I cant wait to get a range report from you tomorrow. Are you planning on shooting 38s or the full powered stuff out of it? I wouldn't think a mild 357 load would be to bad. Maybe a 158 XTP at 1000 fps?

·
Registered
679 Posts
The more I read about the K6, the more it seems like Kimber has done a fine job with this one.

BTW - it looks like you have the opportunity to be the first to post a K6 photo in the "definitive" revolver thread. :smile:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I'm looking forward to hearing our thoughts on this gun. Its one of the few "new" guns that when it came out I thought "HUMMMMM, I just might be interested in one of those". I seen one in a store a few months ago but it was right before Christmas and they were packed.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a double like button??!!!!!

I knew you couldn't stand it. That is one sweet looking gun and at 23 ounces should be a joy to carry too. Those pics just moved this one way up on my want list! I cant wait to get a range report from you tomorrow. Are you planning on shooting 38s or the full powered stuff out of it? I wouldn't think a mild 357 load would be to bad. Maybe a 158 XTP at 1000 fps?
Yeah, I'm such a lush. Once it came out of the case I knew it wasn't going back in.
Probably just hot 38's. I remember my SP101 being a handful with full power 357's. Not a killer, just a LOT of muzzle rise.
We shall see tomorrow :smile:

(and now I am motivated to switch my press over to 38 Special :wink:)

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The more I read about the K6, the more it seems like Kimber has done a fine job with this one.

BTW - it looks like you have the opportunity to be the first to post a K6 photo in the "definitive" revolver thread. :smile:
LOL, good one.
Someone should start that thread :wink:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Yeah, I'm such a lush. Once it came out of the case I knew it wasn't going back in.
Probably just hot 38's. I remember my SP101 being a handful with full power 357's. Not a killer, just a LOT of muzzle rise.
We shall see tomorrow

(and now I am motivated to switch my press over to 38 Special :wink:)
Those 158 grain lead bullets should zip out of that kimber pretty well. I'm anxious to see where POI will be out of this gun. I bet it is a great shooter of the trigger is like you described. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those 158 grain lead bullets should zip out of that kimber pretty well. I'm anxious to see where POI will be out of this gun. I bet it is a great shooter of the trigger is like you described. :)

I'm very interested in POI, too. Especially with 38's.
I was just shooting snubs the other week and of course my S&W 36 was right on the money. My LCR was 4" low with the same ammo and same distance. Goofy.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I'm very interested in POI, too. Especially with 38's.
I was just shooting snubs the other week and of course my S&W 36 was right on the money. My LCR was 4" low with the same ammo and same distance. Goofy.
Yes it weird. It's almost like a load needs to be tailored to each pistol. I can't get 158s to shoot anywhere close to POI in my 642 no matter how hot I load them. 125-135 seems to be the sweet spot in that gun.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow! Beautiful pictures, beautiful gun! I absolutely love snub wheel guns and I could see myself having one in the future. Thanks for the pics and enjoy your gun.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
After fondling one the other day, I wouldn't mess with the trigger in any way ever. Its perfect outta the box IMO. The owner of the range I checked it out at is a Kimberphile (yes, I'm pretending that is a word) and has an LCR right next to it in his display case. He takes them both out and says "You'll never want an LCR after comparing them". I wouldn't boldly make that statement but I did like the Kimber trigger better. Its a shorter pull for sure.

Also looking forward to a range report. I'll get the chance to sling lead with one the next time I'm at the range for shoostin.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After fondling one the other day, I wouldn't mess with the trigger in any way ever. Its perfect outta the box IMO. The owner of the range I checked it out at is a Kimberphile (yes, I'm pretending that is a word) and has an LCR right next to it in his display case. He takes them both out and says "You'll never want an LCR after comparing them". I wouldn't boldly make that statement but I did like the Kimber trigger better. Its a shorter pull for sure.

Also looking forward to a range report. I'll get the chance to sling lead with one the next time I'm at the range for shoostin.
I recall you posting that your range had one for rent/use.
I'd be very interested in hearing how many rounds they think have been run through it the next time you are there and can ask.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I recall you posting that your range had one for rent/use.
I'd be very interested in hearing how many rounds they think have been run through it the next time you are there and can ask.
When I stopped the owner mentioned that he has one strictly dedicated for rental. Most of the rentals are also available for purchase but there are a few that he orders strictly for people to try, such as the Chiappa Rhino and the K6s.

I'll try to remember to ask next time I stop by. I used to go past it almost every day but now I'm going to school to the south of me so visits are gonna be quite infrequent.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts