Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bullet puller puller came today. I'm nervous about using it as the directions say to bang the bullet and puller hard on the ground. Should I be nervous? Will it cause the round to fire?

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Nope nothing to be afraid of. Smack it on a concrete floor and it works in a couple of whacks, on the reloading bench you get dents in it and it takes lots of whacks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got a piece of Rail Road track about 10 inches long mounted on the lower shelf of my bench on a pivot that I use. Just swing it out a couple of good whacks and shazaam Bob's yer uncle

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
It's what I use. Have at it. It's loud, like pounding a hammer, though. (Imagine that).

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Bullet pullers are good for the reloader. I've salvaged many good bullets and powder with mine. I use a section of treated 4"x4" square post to hit with mine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
won't set off the rounds but the thing hurts when it breaks and smacks you in the forehead. Granted it was umpteen years old and an untold # of rounds pulled with it. Happy Pounding :-D

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
the thing hurts when it breaks and smacks you in the forehead
See and everyone was concerned with depriming live primers the other day when you really gotta watch that sneaky bullet puller!:ahhhhh::rofl:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just a caution ...

If you are pulling crimped military bullets, you may want to invest in a collet-type puller that fits in your press. The combination of crimp+sealer often is a toughie to pull with the hammer-style puller.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Two things: 1.) As a follow-up to what Majorlk said, if the bullets are crimped or lacquer sealed (think military .45 ACP ball ammo, you can break the seal by running each round through a reloading press with the seating die in, set just low enough to push the bullet into the case slightly to break the seal. After that, use the bullet puller and bang away and you'll get the bullet out much more easily. 2.) I put a cotton ball in the bottom of the tube, to save the point of spitzer-type rifle bullets. Works well. This is not much of a factor with pistol bullets, though.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The pulled is for when I press a bullet in to far while re-loading.
A properly adjusted seating die will solve this problem. :wave:

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
What Pollardjd said about using the seating die to push the bullet in a little can be a big help. Don't ever try to pull rim fire bullets.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Finally did got around to using the puller this morning. Worked like a champ. Thanks
Don't you just love it when stuff works the way it's supposed to? :wave:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
No danger of firing the round, but if I have many bullets to pull I much prefer the collet type. It is faster and takes less effort. I second the advice to adjust the seater so that the bullet is moved if pulling from military rounds.

I wouldn't be without both a kinetic puller and a collet puller.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some folks decided it would be easier to use case holders from the Lee priming set or a press rather than the collets that come with the kinetic puller.

DON'T DO THAT!

The cartridge CAN shift enough for the primer to impact the edge of the hole in the case holder and set the round off. If using the collets, this will not happen.

There is also a neat universal collet that these folks make that is much easier than 3 pieces and a rubber band.

http://quinetics.com/

Hope this helps
Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts