Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just left Kmart earlier and was looking at their Flashlights. They have a Craftsman Aluminum Body K2 LED flashlight that is SUPER BRIGHT! Price? Around $40 Quality? Seems good to me i bought one.. LOL this light is rated at 170 Lumens and has a dual switch on it for Full power and Roughly Half Power... It takes 6 (yes 6) AAA batteries. But i can tell you that it DWARFS the output of the Coleman MAX.. Just thought i would throw it out there for those of you that might be always looking at flashlights like my self... It is only about 3 inches longer than the max but WOW it is bright! Here is a link to it..

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...n+led+flashlight&sid=S-on-Kx20k061224x0000002

Here is a comparison....

The Craftsman is on the left and the Coleman Max is on the right

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
It looks nice but there is only one problem.....you have to go to Kmart to buy it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that the sun has gone down i can honestly say this light will light up a house across the way from me which is close to 300yrds.... abandoned house by the way.. LOL

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
What's a K-Mart? :confused:
:image035:

·
Registered
157 Posts
It looks nice but there is only one problem.....you have to go to Kmart to buy it.

Send the wife in, or go in disguise (which is what I do). I dress up like an old man and just shuffle in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yea, but they want $10 s/h, so $39 for walk in - walk out isn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Just left Kmart earlier and was looking at their Flashlights. They have a Craftsman Aluminum Body K2 LED flashlight that is SUPER BRIGHT! Price? Around $40 Quality? Seems good to me i bought one.. LOL this light is rated at 170 Lumens and has a dual switch on it for Full power and Roughly Half Power... It takes 6 (yes 6) AAA batteries. But i can tell you that it DWARFS the output of the Coleman MAX.. Just thought i would throw it out there for those of you that might be always looking at flashlights like my self... It is only about 3 inches longer than the max but WOW it is bright! Here is a link to it..

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...n+led+flashlight&sid=S-on-Kx20k061224x0000002

Here is a comparison....

The Craftsman is on the left and the Coleman Max is on the right
LED is the way to go. I would only trust Mag-Lite though.

Understand that the beam can be adjusted (at least with Mag-Lite) by turning the head.

I sell the big duty size LED Mag-Lite for less. So does Wal-mart.

The big d-size models make for great gifts and also work well as a club, ask any LEO.

gunsandsupply.com

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

Understand that the beam can be adjusted (at least with Mag-Lite) by turning the head.

The big d-size models make for great gifts and also work well as a club, ask any LEO.

gunsandsupply.com
not really edc though...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sears owns Kmart
Kmart actually owns Sears

But the merged name is Sears Holdings Corporation.

I'm assuming that they used the Sears name because it holds more weight then K-Mart

·
Registered
93 Posts
I read an article in a gun mag on this light Dorcy 41-4269. The best I can remember was the cons were 6-AAA batteries, multi-function switch (I think it has a couple of settings), not water-proof. We all know you can sink some serious money into flashlights. I think it goes back to the ole saying "ya get what you pay for". Please don't think I am slamming this light by any means. Just sharing the information I read....

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts

gunsandsupply.com
I've never been able to find lumen ratings on the Mag-Lites... They were good lights, years ago, but Streamlights would blow them away as a duty light... Today they seem to be way behind Surefire or any of the other new led lights...

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Too bad that it is K-Mart that sells it. I have visited K-Mart only two times, and I refuse to do it again. The store in this area has as policy to ask everybody to see their receipt when they are leaving . There is an employee standing beside the door and he/she does it. The first time he checked only the receipt, the second time she checked the receipt and looked very fast trough my bags. I hated it. Fortunately, not many people where shopping and then it did not take long time to get out.

I got a Mag-Lite d-size at WW for a couple of days ago. It cost less than $17 + batteries. I think it is perfect for having in the house; if you slam a BG with that thing it will certainly hurt :image035:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I've never been able to find lumen ratings on the Mag-Lites... They were good lights, years ago, but Streamlights would blow them away as a duty light... Today they seem to be way behind Surefire or any of the other new led lights...
Maglight is made in the USA although some components are made in Canada and elsewhere.

Attached is link to the specifications for a 12" 3-D Cell LED.

Spare Parts > Anatomy > Mag Instrument, Inc. - Manufacturer of the Maglite® Flashlight

Mag-Lite measures light by Peak Candle Power (foot candles) rather than by lumens.

What is the difference? Well, without going into a lighting lecture I will try to explain.

The rate at which light is emitted by a light source is analogous to the rate of water sprayed out from a garden hose. The power or rate a which light is emitted from a lamp is measured in lumen's. For all practical purposes , the amount of of light emitted by lamps is given by the lumen value.

Lumen's however do not tell you how the light is distributed. You can have two equal reflector lamps that give off equal amounts of light (lumen's) but with very different light distribution patterns. The spot lamp and the flood lamp are good examples of this. The spot lamp has a very narrow beam while the flood lamp has a much wider beam with much less intensity.

Candlepower (or candelas) describes the intensity of the beam in any direction. The lumen's from a light source will eventually illuminate a surface.

The only accurate way to compare different types is to compare the light falling on equal surface areas. Illumination is the amount of light falling on each square foot of a surface.

The unit of illumination is the footcandle. If the light of 2,000 lumen's is falling uniformly on a table of 4 square feet, then the illumination of that table is 2,000 lumen's per square foot or 500 Footcandles. We do not want to see illumination but rather the light reflected from surfaces. A dimly illuminated white surface is much brighter than a highly illuminated black surface. The brightness of what we see is actually a function of both illumination and the reflectance of the surface. Since Brightness is the illumination reflected off a surface, it is also a measure of the lumens per square foot.

There is much more to this subject however this should give you a quick overview of how to convert Lumens to Footcandles. Peak footcandles only refers to a lamp at its peak. Most charts factor in a maintenance factor to slightly lower the results for lamps. LED's degrade very little.

The 12" 3-D Cell LED has an output of 22,000 Peak Beam power.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the post but you can get an equivalent Fenix light --which is gonna be way better than a craftsman -- for just about the same price. I got my P3D on ebay for 39 shipped brand new and that's rated just shy of 170 lumens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts