Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would you have done as a Conceal Carry patron in this bar scene? From the St.Paul (MN) Pioneer Press 2/10/07:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/13834947.htm

article:
Bar assault to bring charges
A 21-year-old Anoka man will be charged with assault, possession of a dangerous weapon and underage consumption after he is released from a hospital, Winona officials said Thursday. Jonathan H. Minor is suspected of stabbing a Winona bar bouncer five times after Minor was told to leave the bar about 11 p.m. Tuesday. According to Winona police, Steven D. Adams, a 24-year-old bouncer at Schyde's Drinks and Whatnot Bar, was stabbed after he approached Minor and several friends who earlier had been asked to leave. Minor also was injured in the fight and suffered lacerations to his hands. Minor, whose 21st birthday was Wednesday, was apprehended at the Second Street bar. Both men were taken to Community Memorial Hospital in Winona. Adams was transferred to Gundersen Lutheran Hospital in La Crosse, Wis., where he remained Thursday in fair condition. Minor was transferred to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester, Minn. When Minor is released, the Winona County attorney said Thursday, he will be taken into custody and charged. — Kevin Harter

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Not a lot of info. However no CCW in bars where I live or in states where I carry. So I would be an unarmed bystander. That makes me a witness. Seems the bouncer gave it to the minor pretty good (in the hospital), so it would seem he didn't need further assistance.

So can you guys in Minnesota carry in bars?

-Scott-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, carry in bars is allowed in MN. Blood Alcohol limit of .04.

No, not much info. Was the bouncer an "unwilling participant" (this must be present in order to use lethal force in MN)?

Maybe it's one of those situations where finding the exit is my best strategy.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
As a CCW, there wouldn't be much to do- in most localities, you aren't supposed to be armed, in a bar. Outside the bar, sorry, I've never carried enough ammo to handle everyone who might decide to get involved.:blink:

Having several friends who have/currently work security and clubs- one of them had a knife pulled on him after leaving the club. He promptly disarmed the guy and stuck the knife through the guy's shoulderblade. This particular friend has also blown out several knees and elbows -other folks- who thought they could belt/knife/bottle/chair fight. Rough work, you have to be prepared to play hardball.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Kat said:
Yes, carry in bars is allowed in MN. Blood Alcohol limit of .04.

No, not much info. Was the bouncer an "unwilling participant" (this must be present in order to use lethal force in MN)?

Maybe it's one of those situations where finding the exit is my best strategy.
Short of the bouncer being down and the minor doing his best to kill him I would be a witness. Pulling my pistol would be an absolute last resort. From the sounds of it the bouncer wascut up, but still managed to put the minor in the hospital, so unlikely I would have to worry about the bouncer.

-Scott-

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
No carry in bars in MI. Fox 5.3 in left hand and Cold Steel Gunsite in right hand. I never go to bars because I don't drink and try to avoid places I can't carry.

If he is 21, how is he charged with underage consumption?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dringking/stabbing took place on Tuesday @ 11 p.m., the punks birthday was Wednesday. Missed it buy one hour.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No CCW in Texas bars...a call to 911 would seem to be in order. As long as the bouncer was holding his own, I'd be a witness. When it started going the other way, I think I would've found the largest implement of destruction available and applied it repeatedly until the attacker stopped, hopefully with the help of other bystanders. No sense in letting someone die when there are other options available...drunks can do some really stupid things. They're similar to poison ivy, avoid them if possible.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The best way to win a fight is not to be there. I can't remember the last time I was in a place that had a bouncer. The very fact that a bouncer is present is a hint as to what kind of clientele the place might attract - I have no use for that.

No restriction on carry in bars here, but if I were to go into one of the places for a beer, I would be unarmed since I won't drink and carry. That's another reason I wouldn't be there.

Geez, I guess I'm no fun anymore!:frown:

SSKC

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Kat said:
The dringking/stabbing took place on Tuesday @ 11 p.m., the punks birthday was Wednesday. Missed it buy one hour.

That sucks. My brother got a similar thing, only about a week shy of 21.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Too little info. I can carry in a bar - and if I do I ain't drinking of course.

I would doubt tho I personally would be in any place that requires bouncers!! Not often in any bars either.

I doubt tho too if I had been there - most unlikely it could have been a shooting scene - simply because too many people almost certainly. It would have to be a witness-only drill for most observers. I could imagine someone skilled on CQC fighting intervening to disarm the punk - but hey - as said, really not enough data to build a credible scenario.

·
Registered
744 Posts
In NC, if I even pulled a gun in a bar, I would be in more trouble with LE than the punk or the bouncer! No carry anywhere alcohol is bought and consumed, even Pizza Hut, where they sell beer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Easy for me. The instructor at my 1st CHL class gave a What would you do Q. & we each had to answer. His was bar too. I said Nothing. I would not be there. Hey, CNC Marine, just noticed your avitar. Good job. With your forum name, might you be a machinist. Me too.

·
Registered
822 Posts
In Oregon it's legal.

What would I have done? Same thing that I am always doing when I hear about things happening in bars, watching the local news on the tv.

I don't go to bars. But, even if I did, I still wouldn't have pulled. Most bars are too crowded and it's hard to hit a target that is moving around with a non-target engaging them.

Wayne

·
Registered
988 Posts
Up here, you can carry in a bar. If it were me, I would not intervene unless the bouncer was down and this guy was moving in for the kill. At that point it's time to stop the attack. It may even be advisable to go for a shot at him with my OC before it got to that point but only if it looked like the stabber was starting to take command of the situation.

·
Registered
950 Posts
No alcoholic establisment carry here in NC, Secondly, if it was not my business then oh well. However, if the bouncer was getting it bad. I might have OC Sprayed the guy I don't know. I look at my CCW as for protecting my family and myself. In this sue happy world I would be reluctant to help.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
BlueLion said:
I look at my CCW as for protecting my family and myself. In this sue happy world I would be reluctant to help.
I concur. My CCW (as a last resort) is for me, my family, possibly a uniformed law officer (only if s/he was seconds from death by a BG and absolutely NO LEO backup available) and maybe a small child. Everyone else above 21 in my state should have their CCW and be protecting their own.

And the bouncer goes to work knowing the possibility of unarmed/armed violence. That is a risk s/he is taking. Not my place to be on-call bouncer w/ tons of money for lawyers and such.

This situation for me, it would be exit stage LEFT!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts