Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I think the better link to start with QK is this one - State Knife Laws.

Yours brought up PA which was fine for me :smile:

Seems many states still have some gray areas - butterflies are sold all over the place but in many states are technically illegal. So too are some of the quick openers even if not switch - technically!

Most guys I know have a folder. Doubt they are all white as white either :wink:

·
Administrator
143,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris

Good Catch...Thanks. I just changed the link up yonder.
I was on the PA page checking something out for PA...Don't know how I copied the link to that PA page rather than the main page.
Too much EggNog I guess. :image035:

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
legal technicalities in MI. According to MSP site, folders are legal. Fixed blade not used for hunting,and carried for that purpose are illegal.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hmmm. Missouri -- I read that since I have a CCW, I can carry a knife (doesn't specify fixed, folding, size, etc.) and a blackjack. I'm not sure I'd want to test out the use of a blackjack in court......
"I was in fear of my life, but didn't use my gun, I just broke the bad guys skull with my blackjack."
I don't even know where to get a blackjack anymore. I remember the flat leather saps, too. Maybe I need to go shopping??

·
Registered
329 Posts
Go to about any flea market in a red state and one can find a blackjack of some sort. Pay attention to the stands that sell knives and swords. They usually sell them.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm not a lawyer but after a lot of reading is seems to me that Missouri's CCW doesn't have anything to do with anything but guns. The knife laws are odd in that you can't legally carry/conceal a knife at all in Missouri, however, the exception to the definition of a knife is a folder with a blade no longer than 4" long. Fixed blades and automatics are big no no's! Nothing can be opened with a button on the handle or using centrifical force. I carry a CRKT M14-13M which "looks" naughty and from other things I've read, looks can play into it if you ever use it. In other words, courts and lawyers look at a case pocket knife differently than a blacked out tactical para military looking knife. I also carry a Kershaw Blur with their speed assist opening. it's as fast as just about any auto but totally legal. I did a lot of checking on that and even wrote Kershaw about it and I actually got a very detailed and thorough response from them which really impressed me. So, all of mine are folders and at least a tad under 4" so it doesn't ever come down to an interpretation of a ruler. you know, I've always wondered technically the points you use to measure the length of a blade. Obviously you use the point but then where do you measure to?

Gideon

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Gideon said:
I'm not a lawyer but after a lot of reading is seems to me that Missouri's CCW doesn't have anything to do with anything but guns.
Slight clarification here.

From the MO Revised Statutes:
4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.
here's subdivision 1

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

and here are the explanations for "blackjack" and "knife:"

2) "Blackjack" means any instrument that is designed or adapted for the purpose of stunning or inflicting physical injury by striking a person, and which is readily capable of lethal use;

(10) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;
So according to MO law, a "blackjack" is any type of striking weapon and a "knife" is anything other than an "ordinary" 4" pocketknife (who the hell gets to decide what "ordinary" means?). Since blackjacks and knives are both part of sub-sec. 1 and CCW holders are exempt from sub-sec. 1, you can carry anything you want. However, automatic knives (like you mentioned) are covered in a different clause so those aren't allowed even with a CCW.

BTW: here's the link to the MO statutes.

·
Administrator
143,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed while flipping through the knife laws of some other various states that MANY of the laws regarding knives are VERY Gray, Vague, & Incongruous. So many (in fact) that it's probably intentional. Lawmakers Can't be THAT STUPID by accident or...can they???

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
TN - four inch blade length limit, no auto or gravity knives unless you're military/law enforcement, no double-edged knives likes daggers, folders and fixed blades okay.

P95's link does not describe the military/law enforcement exemption or prohibition of gravity knives (although it says "Butterfly or Balisong knives are not switchblades"), but I know I read that somewhere, unless the law has changed...

Oh, gee - looks like hawkbills are out, too, which means my MOD Ladyhawk is on permanent retirement. :tired:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
QKShooter said:
I noticed while flipping through the knife laws of some other various states that MANY of the laws regarding knives are VERY Gray, Vague, & Incongruous. So many (in fact) that it's probably intentional. Lawmakers Can't be THAT STUPID by accident or...can they???
I think it's a combination of the two...

Most lawmakers are so stupid they probably don't know a switchblade from a Ka-Bar (remember, these are the same morons that write the gun laws). OTOH, by leaving the laws very vague (for example, Missouri's "ordinary pocketknife" phrase) the LEO's and prosecutors have a lot of lee-way in how they enforce the laws.

When you think about it, it's really sad. For example: I see no reason for balisongs/butterfly-knives to be illegal. Especially since virtually every tactical folder on the market can be opened faster with greater consistency and less practice. I guess the Bali's are the "assault rifles" of the knife world...because they look scary they must be evil. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am happy to say, Oregon allows autos and balisongs. Never carried an auto but do carry one or two balisongs

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
In Fla-Da we can carry 'bout anything. Switchblades,auto's,streight blades,double edged. I carry a 6",streight bladed,double. Have you priced them auto's lately ? Microtech,Protech,HOLY CRAP. $300 for a little weenie lookin' blade. Not me! I don't want something that is gonna break off in their eye socket. ---------

·
Administrator
143,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually ~ Interesting

Balisongs are LIKELY legal in Pennsylvania since the issue did come up in Court & Judges ruled that the Balisong knife WAS Pennsylvania legal in that specific court case review.
But, the Knuckle Duster Knife (combo knife & knucks) ~ No Way!
Don't even think about it.:biggrin2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
No auto's or switchblades in NM and for some reason, case law has stated that a butterfly knife is "Switchblade". No issues on length of blade.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
In MI, I can legally carry my Cold Steel Gunsite Tanto 4" and that is all I care about. Others would be cool, but I can carry the knife I am most comfortable carrying and operating and that means more to me than anything.

WI has no blade length law.

·
Registered
42 Posts
P95Carry said:
I think the better link to start with QK is this one - State Knife Laws.

Yours brought up PA which was fine for me :smile:

Seems many states still have some gray areas - butterflies are sold all over the place but in many states are technically illegal. So too are some of the quick openers even if not switch - technically!

Most guys I know have a folder. Doubt they are all white as white either :wink:
I recently got a Emerson UTCOM CQC-11-BT. I also read the PA link but as usual it confuses more than illuminates are we good in PA with these knives for carry?

THX

1 - 20 of 29 Posts