Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2 Kore Belts 3/17. Love the trac slide mechanism. Stiffness good. BUT I have noticed the leather pealing like it is cheap vinyl. Then last week I noticed it very hard to get my black belt on but in a hurry and got it on. Forgot about it until the next morning. Looked at belt and the inner stiffner is broken and the inner layer of "leather" is separated. Only the outer layer it holding it together. Looked at my brown one this morning and it appears to be broken also but the leather has not separated yet.

History. I cannot wear a gun at work so only carry my Shield 9mm two days a week. But I wear the belts everyday, black during the winter and the brown in the summer with my tan slacks. Neither have been stepped on or bent to cause this type of damage.

I have never had a belt fail short of many years, usually outgrow them. 20 months is incredibly short. I can order a new belt without the buckle but frankly IO expect they would fail similarly would fail also.

Options I am looking at:

Bigfoot with steel liner Leather Gun Belt (14oz) http://gunbelts.com/gun-belt-1-5-wi...com/gun-belt-1-5-wide-leather-with-core-14-oz

Hanks HANKS GUNNER - CONCEALED CARRY CCW LEATHER GUN BELT - 100 YEAR WARRANTY - 14 OUNCE FULL GRAIN LEATHER BELT https://www.hanksbelts.com/collections/mens-gun-belts/products/hanks-gunner-leather-gun-belt

Hanks XTREME CONCEALED CARRY GUN BELT - 17 OZ. - 1.5" https://www.hanksbelts.com/collecti...ducts/hanks-extreme-belt-concealed-carry-belt

Hanks GUNNER STITCHED - LEATHER GUN BELT - 14 OZ. - 1.5" https://www.hanksbelts.com/collecti...ts/hanks-gunner-stitched-concealed-carry-belt

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Sorry to see your equipment failure, Sportymonk. I'll put in a plug for Bigfoot; mine is in good shape after 2 years. They use a regular type of buckle with holes. It is easy to put an additional hole between the factory holes if you need a finer adjustment, and the belt support the weapon quite well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried but no answer on phone.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,848 Posts
I used an inexpensive Wrangler belt bought from WalMart for about twenty years with no issues. I carry a 5" 1911, a spare magazine, and my Apple iPhone 7+ on my belt. Internet consensus is you need a good "gun belt", so I bought an expensive one. After about two months of use, it broke in half at the hole for the buckle. I bought a brown Wrangler belt and a black Wrangler belt at WalMart. I hope to get another twenty years of use from them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nexbelt EDC belts are expensive, but very high quality. I've been wearing one of their "fabric" belts every day, all day for about 18 months. Other than a few loose threads I've had not issues and they have improved the belt design since then. Don't have experience with their leather belts. but the company has been making belts of all sorts for a long time. I expect to get many years out of this belt. Kore Essentials turned me on to the value of small adjustments for IWB carry, but I had one of their buckles fail and one belt crack. I'm sure they (Kore) have made improvements, but I see little reason to go back.

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
My Kore gun belt inner stiffener also cracked at a spot where the "infinite adjustment" notches are. I don't wear it very often and didn't contact Kore when it happened. I definitely should have. Too late now.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nexbelt EDC belts are expensive, but very high quality. I've been wearing one of their "fabric" belts every day, all day for about 18 months. Other than a few loose threads I've had not issues and they have improved the belt design since then. Don't have experience with their leather belts. but the company has been making belts of all sorts for a long time. I expect to get many years out of this belt. Kore Essentials turned me on to the value of small adjustments for IWB carry, but I had one of their buckles fail and one belt crack. I'm sure they (Kore) have made improvements, but I see little reason to go back.
I'm not seeing any real difference between Nexbelt and Kore other than Kores warranty covering everything for a year vs Nexbelt covering the buckle.
Are there any other belt manufacturers making this style belt with a better warranty?

Esse quam videri

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Big foot I vote for ..Wearing one right now in fact .Tough as nails and even with heavy all metal guns no flexing /bending ..I can tell you it is well built as when I had to put more holes in it I had to have my works Work shop use power tools to do it

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have 3 Hanks belts, 2 of which I alternately wear daily to work (can't carry there). The 3rd I bought to use while officiating football to better hold up that equipment (flags, bean bags, radios, etc). They don't have the same features, but are definitely quality leather belts, if not a little thick. On occasion Hanks will have a "not quite perfect" sale where you can save some $. I'm sure the Bigfoot is fine too, but I just don't have any personal experience with them.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
There are a lot of good leather gunbelts that'll last a really long time. I have over 10 years on a couple. Armour Belts and The Beltman both offer hole spacing if either 3/4" or 1". I get the 3/4" option for slightly better adjustability. Some makers are a standard 1 inch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've used Bigfoot and agree it is a good belt. I was just wondering if there is another belt manufacturer that makes a style like Kore or Nexbelt. I'm pretty sold on the ratcheting system.

Esse quam videri

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
I've been very pleased with my two Ultimate Gun Belts from Dual layer double stitched gun belt I liked the brown so much I ordered a second in black to match clothing/shoes.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you like the adjustability of the kore I recently learned about this one. It's hand made, thicker, stiffer and has a lifetime warranty. I plan on ordering one if/when my kore fails. I can't go back to a belt with holes. They are always either to tight or to loose.

RGB Ratchet Gun Belt | CCW, EDC & Dress Belt All In One
Thanks, that looks like my next belt if the Kore gives way.

Esse quam videri

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I hadn't seen that one before. Any idea how secure the buckle is? I've not used that style buckle before.

It wouldn't be as easy to adjust as the ratchet style but it looks like a good gun belt.
The buckle is very secure and less prone to failure than any ratchet system. I can adjust it with one hand easily when loosening, a little more dexterity with one hand is needed if tightening. As for ease of discreet adjustment it's close to a ratchet belt, and a lot more discreet than other designs that use velcro to secure the end of the belt.

The only issue I've had with mine (had it a year now) was during the muggy heat of summer it developed a wave in the leather after it was sweat soaked one day during heavy work (lawn mowing, shoveling a yard of mulch, and splitting wood when it was 90+ and humid). Hanging it and stretching it back to a straight shape solved that, and it hasn't been an issue since. I should have put on my steel lined Bigfoot belt that day, but got lazy.

My son is turning 21 soon, and for his first CCW gun belt I've bought him the Crossover to get him set up well from day 1.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts