Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if any one carries a kubaton. This is one small defense weapon everyone should carry. I was a certified instructor in the use of PR-24 and Kubaton and many many times in making a arrest I used the Kubaton and could make the biggest man go to his knees and scream for me to stop. My wife no longer carries mace she was taught how to use the Kubaton and I bet good money at this time she could handle herself with no problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Learned a trick recently while attending a CQB course a few weeks ago. Carry a 6 inch piece of 3/8 dowell rod, it looks very inconspicuous. If asked will tell them I have arthritis and use it for joint pain relief.

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Many people carry one without any training or the slightest idea how to use it. Maybe it's supposed to be some magic wand?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Does a kubaton really offer practical benefit to a civilian? If I'm trying to get away from physical confrontations (as opposed to arresting perps), what scenarios make a kubaton useful for me?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've heard great things about the Kubaton and would love to add one to my repertoire, but I've had a heck of a time finding somewhere to get training with one.

EDIT: Of course, as soon as I post this I go look at the web site for my favorite gun shop (which I haven't visited in a while) and they're now offering Kubaton classes. WooHoo!

Brian

·
Registered
568 Posts
Does a kubaton really offer practical benefit to a civilian? If I'm trying to get away from physical confrontations (as opposed to arresting perps), what scenarios make a kubaton useful for me?
The control maneuvers, pressure point manipulation, and pain compliance techniques may not be of much use to citizens, but a Kubotan (or any object that's around six inches long and can be gripped appropriately), is a great force concentrator. A poke in the throat (or hand, face, and a lot of other places) with a Sharpie or small flashlight hurts. An alternative to hitting people with your bare hands is a good thing.

Many people carry one without any training or the slightest idea how to use it. Maybe it's supposed to be some magic wand?
Using one as a striking tool really doesn't require any training.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I used to carry one, or an ASP mini keychain baton, or a De-Jammer as a keychain. I had some training and actually used one on a drunk who tried to grab my shirt once. It was handy enough to be carried so that when I needed it I had it. For anyone without training it's a false sense of security. I see Kubotans or similar things with spikes on them, or stuff thats a cross between a bottle opener and brass knuckles on keychains all the time and I doubt most actually know how to use them. For the average person, I think the space would better be taken up by a mini Mag Light or pepper spray.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure it is a practical benefit to a civilian if used properly and sometimes you can not get away from physical confrontations. It is only good for close quarters defense.(Not trying to sell them) I was carrying about four weeks ago and I went into a fast mart to get a drink and when I went out to get in my truck and out of no where a guy was standing in front of me and asked for some money. Told him that I did not work all my life to give it away. Get a job and he then grabbed me by my shirt. I had the kubaton in my hand first hit him in his sternum then when he let go and leaned over a little I stuck as hard as I could on the collar bone. He ran like you know what. Perfect example in a bad situation :spankme:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I carry a 120 lumen LED flashlight which is just a little short and slightly fatter than a regulation Kubaton which does double duty as one.

I've learned to manipulate almost as well as the genuine article. So I figure I get about 90% effectiveness using the flashlight and one less item to carry.

I've got the Kubaton training manual as well as John Peter's excellent book Defensive Tactics With Flashlights

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sure it is a practical benefit to a civilian if used properly and sometimes you can not get away from physical confrontations. It is only good for close quarters defense.(Not trying to sell them) I was carrying about four weeks ago and I went into a fast mart to get a drink and when I went out to get in my truck and out of no where a guy was standing in front of me and asked for some money. Told him that I did not work all my life to give it away. Get a job and he then grabbed me by my shirt. I had the kubaton in my hand first hit him in his sternum then when he let go and leaned over a little I stuck as hard as I could on the collar bone. He ran like you know what. Perfect example in a bad situation :spankme:
Ok, you've convinced me that I want to at least get familiar with the kubaton and see what I can do with it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My confrontation:
I was carrying a De-Jammer as a Kubotan-style weapon tucked in my belt with my keys. I had a 1911 IWB and a BUG, a NAA .22mag. I was carrying a Spyderco in a pocket. I was on a payphone when a babbling drunk came up and started trying to talk to me. I waved him away and he reached out to grab my shirt. I put him into an armlock, turned him around and shoved him away from me. He stumbled the walked away babbling to himself. The guns and knife would have been too much for the situation. I had a hand tied up with the payphone at the time and was a little slow to disengage from it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Quilt???
The young man in the Kilt is a Oregon LEO. There is a huge population of Scots there and he was getting ready for the Scottish Games.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I don't know. This is presumably a non-lethal weapon for self defense. I must admit I don't always carry where it is illegal. This tool seems to be legal in most states however I doubt that I woud ever carry one. Personally where I can carry a pistol, I do. I also carry a large Mag-lite. It can do as much damage as a baseball bat at close range after you blind the assailant first with a powerful LED beam. IMO It is no different than learning how to crack a BG in the head with the butt end of a pool cue. Actually, I normally prefer to punch a BG with an uppercut to the bottom of the nose and then the throat. A roll of nickles in you palm and gloves can make a difference and you won't end up going to jail.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Saw a Sharkie at the gun show last weekend. My friend's son (16) was wondering what good it was for. I explained the idea of Kubatons to him and that the Sharkie made for a nice covert one....blank stares....

I told him to grab my wrist and then immediately put him in a wrist lock.

He's a believer now.

Joint manipulations take some training. Striking at pressure points and vital targets somewhat less so. As my TKD teacher taught me, it's always nice to have many arrows in the quiver. It also gives you options in the continuum of force.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts