Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kudos to my local N. Tx K&G Men's Clothing Store & their CC-friendly tailor. Santa was kind enough to bring me 2 new suits for the price of 1 for Christmas that he picked up at K&G Men's Store. These of course had to be fitted, hemmed, altered etc.. I had been to this location reviously & knew they are not posted.

I took the suits in on Sunday afternoon 1/3, & had decided to CC to the store for the fitting for 2 reasons. 1.) Habit. 2.) I CC IWB daily at work, (left side & a sizeable Ruger P95 9mm) & these being suits for the job, I wanted them sized & fitted with my firearm in place as it will be worn daily.

I was also curious as to the response I would get & decided to just play out the fitting process & let the chips fall as they may, not making a big deal of anything. In the dressing room, I changed into the first suit & "geared up" IWB with my belt as I have been wearing with my current suits. I was wearing a T-shirt tucked in, my IWB CC between the waist band & T-shirt, a loose Polo-type shirt untucked over my IWB CC, & finally the suit coat.

I stepped out & to the stand in front of the mirrors as instructed by the tailor, there were 2 other employees & 1 other customer milling about the area, not close but within ear shot. He then started adjusting, tugging, feeling & patting the outside of the coat checking & testing the fit & quickly got to the left side of the coat patting directly on the rig. In doing so, he had no reaction whatsover, didn't skip a beat, & simply commented "oh, you have a cell phone, will you be wearing your cell phone there all the time"? I answered "yes" & he continued & finished the fitting process, then said "we're finished with the coat, take that off & we'll check the slacks". With the coat off, he then proceeded in checking the waistband fit, lifting my untucked shirt the minimum needed to look at the waist band as he made his way all around, with the IWB rig in plain view when working on the left side, touching & adjusting only the waistband & never the rig, making any references to it as my "cell phone".

This exact same process was repeated for suit #2. I then changed back into my clothes, gave him my 2nd. suit that I had just taken off, scheduled a pick-up date when they would be ready, thanked each other & was on my way.

I wasn't expecting this to be much of an issue, I assumed worst case I might have to divulge that I had a CHL & CC'd daily on the job & wanted the suits fitted accordingly, but it was much more of a non-issue than I anticipated with zero discussion / explanation necessary ... an overall pleasant experience.

·
Registered
58 Posts
K&G is a great store as is Men's Warehouse (the parent store). I love the service that I get there each and every time I go in there.

Congratulations on the new suits!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just curious, you put "cell phone" in quotations. Did you get the feeling that the person doing the fitting knew what it was but just said "cell phone," wink wink, nod nod, or do you think he was clueless as to what you had on you?

·
Registered
366 Posts
K&G is a great store as is Men's Warehouse (the parent store). I love the service that I get there each and every time I go in there.

Congratulations on the new suits!
+1 here......... for sure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also frequent K & G as well. Have'nt had my first Tailored Suit fitted to carry IWB yet. I have been there quite a few times and always get great service. I have been buying all my pants lately with room to allow for IWB carry. If store has that no guns allowed sign posted on front, then I might not shop there again, because I bring my firearm in to try my clothes on to insure proper fit.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious, you put "cell phone" in quotations. Did you get the feeling that the person doing the fitting knew what it was but just said "cell phone," wink wink, nod nod, or do you think he was clueless as to what you had on you?

Firkin, I'm 90% certain he knew from the first pat while fitting the first coat, due to the size & bulk of the "cell phone". If he didn't know then, he definitely saw it & worked around it when he was raising my shirt tail while working with the pants waistband, & continued referring to it as my "cell phone" with no hesitation or reaction whatsoever ... definitely wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm sure that he was being discrete. Privacy of clients is important to folks in alot of professions.

·
Registered
41,448 Posts
The tailor is a real gentleman! Of course he knew what it was, but knew enough to be discrete. This world needs more like him. No panic, just a silent, "Ah ha."

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same type of experience at Mens Warehouse. The lady was very discreet, never making mention or even a surprised look. I only have the 1 suit. Should I ever need another, I'll no doubt return.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats awesome! Good to hear there are still a few people left out there that wont go balistic and freak out and make a big issue out of nothing! God bless em! :)

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Hmm, I never even thought of that. It’s for sure a good idea despite the costs. I have considered an IWB holster that offers a Velcro attachment. This requires the Velcro to be stitched into the waistband but I haven’t quite got around to that particular grade-3 priority. Heck, I’m still building my arsenal of guns n’ roses (ammo) along with an advanced course ($$$).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts