Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Probably.
I'm sure they serve some sort of apprenticeship and start at the bottom.
As in, "Hey you. Go get me a truck spring." lol
That's all well and fine, PA, but I wouldn't recommend trying that with Bad Bob - he might ALREADY have a truck spring. Or one made into a knife... :dead:

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
That's all well and fine, PA, but I wouldn't recommend trying that with Bad Bob - he might ALREADY have a truck spring. Or one made into a knife... :dead:

Wasn't his thing files? Did he ever make a knife from a truck spring?
My buddy just made an awesome knife from a truck spring. A shame he'll be shutting the forge down for the summer soon.

·
Registered
890 Posts
That's a beautiful knife. Will you also oil the blade to keep it shiny or let the carbon steel take on it's natural patina?

I visited their web sight. I remembered looking it over years ago. Those are beautiful blades. I just could never wrap my head around how they are properly used. I'm sure that just like a Philippine bolo knife, they fit into the lifestyle of the area first and became weapons later. When Cold Steel clearanced out their machetes years ago, I ordered one of the shorter Bolo machetes and found it very handy for trimming around the yard or out in the field.

I used to enjoy going by the deli section of one supermarket. There was one oriental lady there who would use a really big knife for even the smallest jobs. Fun to watch.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got the Kukri this afternoon. Haven’t had time to do anything but take a quick look at it. The handle is covered in plastic, and a quick peek underneath shows it’s heavily covered in the same oil as the blade. Don’t know what kind of oil. The guy at Kailash, when I asked him how to treat the wood handle, said to just wipe the oil off with a soft cloth.
I haven’t really taken off the plastic, but pulled the kukri out of the sheath to have a look. The blade looks nice, I didn’t get the high polish finish. It looks well made, and is well balanced and lighter than I expected. Feels good in the hand.
I’ll take and post pics when I can.
Oh,I plan to keep the blade lightly oiled. Still don’t know what to do with the rosewood handle.

·
Super Moderator
16,106 Posts
I got the Kukri this afternoon. Haven’t had time to do anything but take a quick look at it. The handle is covered in plastic, and a quick peek underneath shows it’s heavily covered in the same oil as the blade. Don’t know what kind of oil. The guy at Kailash, when I asked him how to treat the wood handle, said to just wipe the oil off with a soft cloth.
I haven’t really taken off the plastic, but pulled the kukri out of the sheath to have a look. The blade looks nice, I didn’t get the high polish finish. It looks well made, and is well balanced and lighter than I expected. Feels good in the hand.
I’ll take and post pics when I can.
Oh,I plan to keep the blade lightly oiled. Still don’t know what to do with the rosewood handle.
Rosewood is a very oily wood here area couple of ideas.

FINISHING OILY WOODS

·
Super Moderator
23,211 Posts
Wow.

And to think, Paul Krugman dismissed the Internet as having less economic impact than a facsimile machine. What an ignoramus.

It is amazing what this world has come to, actually. A craftsman 1/2 a world away can sell direct to a customer on a custom order basis. It improves so many lives in so many ways. Just...WOW!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Wasn't his thing files? Did he ever make a knife from a truck spring?
My buddy just made an awesome knife from a truck spring. A shame he'll be shutting the forge down for the summer soon.
Whoops ! Ya got me there, PA; you are kerrect. So, if you say, "Hey you. Go get me a truck spring" he will probably whack you with a big bas***d file. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Their grinds are described on their website. Those are not the descriptors. They name the grinds by intended use.
I'd bet a cross section of the grind would demonstrate it's one of the known grinds in that link. Do you know if it's got a primary and secondary grind or only one?

From their site; differential oil quenching and tempering process

It's likely made of one of these steels

O-1 Tool steel
O-6 Tool Steel
S-5 Tool Steel

52100 is ball bearing steel
4140 is used in making rifle barrels
O-1 is a common carbon tool steel used in blades
Not familiar with the other steels above.

Leaf springs are usually 5160 and the coil springs 1095 but the blade would have to be tested to know for sure what elements are in the steel of yours. :scratchchin:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts