Defensive Carry banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
It’s 5160. Truck leaf springs.
Thanks, I suspected it was 5160, same steel Bagwell makes the Hell Belle's out of. Very strong and used on the longer blades by many smiths.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I can’t get over how the weight feels so much less when you hold it by the handle in a normal grip. The handle is large enough for even my big mitts, and comfortable. And the blade moves like an extension of my hand. I can almost believe that I could sign my name with the tip of the blade.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I can’t get over how the weight feels so much less when you hold it by the handle in a normal grip. The handle is large enough for even my big mitts, and comfortable. And the blade moves like an extension of my hand.
Prolly balances-out that nice 1911, in your other hand too... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
279 Posts
A couple months late for the party, but Shrike as a kukri nut I'm really glad you like your Kailash kukri!

I have the same Kailash Panawal 11in blade in my kukri collection, as well as one of their 11in bladed Mk.1's. I slightly prefer the Mk.1 as it's a little more blade heavy for snap cuts, but the Panawal is perfectly balance as you said. I LOVE their build quality, and the fact that they are not overbuilt, heavy kukri's. They both feel quite lively in the hand. The handles are nice and big for american hands, and a pleasure to hold. I hadn't bought any knives this year so I just ordered a 15in Mk.1 from Kailash, as well as a 13in Mk.II kukri from Tora Blades, the other day. Can't wait to get them both in to compare with the others. Kailash does amazing cutom work as well, and if your on Facebook their page is worth following for cool pics of what they're making.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Now you need to learn how to throw it like a tomahawk.

You'd be surprised with the penetrating power that thing has. I stuck one so deep into an oak tree that I had to put my leg on the tree to get enough leverage to pull it out. A guy in the Philippines a few decades ago taught me how to throw one. He could bust a coconut in half every time.

·
Registered
12,733 Posts
Wasn't his thing files? Did he ever make a knife from a truck spring?
My buddy just made an awesome knife from a truck spring. A shame he'll be shutting the forge down for the summer soon.
I have not made any from springs yet. I was out of commission for a while with an injured hand/ elbow, no forging. I have been tinkering a little but I have been busy with other things. I think I am going to try some Damascus this summer though. It is a lot of work hammering it all out by hand. I use a small coal forge so bigger knives are a challenge. I have actually been watching forged in Fire and learning some new tricks.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts