Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting my CCDW but had a few questions and hope that I can get some help . I live in KY but work in OH which isn't the problem. Most nights during the week I'm on a local high school grounds back in KY for sports and I don't belive I am unsure if I can carry loaded or unloaded or store it in the car. Since I done go gone before going to the schools am I still going to be able to carry out leave the gun in my car while in the schools?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for reminding me what F.A.S.T. means.

Hope you find answers to your questions and all.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
AFAIK, the gun can't be on the property at all unless you are sitting in line to pick up or drop off your child.

A couple of years ago, I attended an event at the local high school and came straight from work, where I do carry. Since I know the principal, I gave him a call to get his input, and that's how he explained it to me.

Welcome from down in Henry County.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree... Most states pretty much ban carrying on all primary or secondary school grounds with some, but few exceptions. KY is no different (it includes child care facilities as defined in 199.8982). The only way you can is to get permission from the school authorities of the facility you wish to carry on. That's straight from the KY gun statutes (237.110)... Good luck with that.... BTW, welcome to the forum. Thanks for considering becoming a responsible citizen by carrying for your protect as well as the protection of your family...

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Dear FG, please don't rely on the anonymous opinions of a BUNCHA' Gun Forum members pretending to be attorneys, specializing in concealed-carry law, licensed to practice in Kentucky. Because we're not, we're NOT and...WE'RE NOT. The up-side of our advice may convince you (we ARE pretty good at THAT) that you're informed. The DOWN-SIDE is that you could lose your gun, a big chunk of money, your freedom AND your continued RIGHT TO CARRY entirely. We ARE NOT going to rush to your aid if you're arrested. We don't...know you that well. :blink:

Reactions: FeelingGood

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
From what I have researched, as long as it's locked in a glove box or lockbox in the car and you have a CCW Permit, you are good. Call the Sheriff or issuing authority or firearms lawyer.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Reactions: FeelingGood

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear FG, please don't rely on the anonymous opinions of a BUNCHA' Gun Forum members pretending to be attorneys, specializing in concealed-carry law, licensed to practice in Kentucky. Because we're not, we're NOT and...WE'RE NOT. The up-side of our advice may convince you (we ARE pretty good at THAT) that you're informed. The DOWN-SIDE is that you could lose your gun, a big chunk of money, your freedom AND your continued RIGHT TO CARRY entirely. We ARE NOT going to rush to your aid if you're arrested. We don't...know you that well. :blink:
Completely understand and appreciate any feedback. Before going for my CCDW license I'm doing a lot of reading and asking questions so that I'm informed so I don't lose my gun.

I did some reading today and came across 527.070 (3) (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=19962)

Long story short, as a few have said, you can have in your car and it doesn't leave it.

Thanks again

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't rely on the school principals opinion. At miminum I'd call the local school boards office an or the local DA's office.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You will learn the ins and outs of where you can and can not carry during CCDW class. In fact, where you can and can not carry is as much of the course as when you can and can not shoot.

If it turns out to be an issue the CCDW is still worth the effort. You may not become a better shooter because of the class but you will become a more knowledgeable shooter if you put effort into it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Was wondering where in the law does it saw it can stay in glovebox? That would be great.
You can leave a firearm in your vehicle while it is parked on school property without asking anyone or obtaining any special permissions.

Here is the statute: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=19962

And here is the relevant text:

3)
The provisions of this section prohibiting the unlawful possession of a weapon on
school property shall not apply to:

(a) An adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle
operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a
purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person
acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on
school property;

·
Registered
423 Posts
Unrelated to the school issue, I highly recommend utilizing the KSP's website to apply for your license rather than taking the physical app to your local sheriff's office. It costs $10 more to do it this way, but you can go under a month from taking your class to permit in hand in this manner. It can take two months longer submitting a physical app. You still will have to go to the office to pick up your permit and give them their $20 handling fee, however.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Completely understand and appreciate any feedback. Before going for my CCDW license I'm doing a lot of reading and asking questions so that I'm informed so I don't lose my gun.

I did some reading today and came across 527.070 (3) (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=19962)

Long story short, as a few have said, you can have in your car and it doesn't leave it.

Thanks again
Looks like that clears it up. That's how it is in Ohio.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
You can leave a firearm in your vehicle while it is parked on school property without asking anyone or obtaining any special permissions.

Here is the statute: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=19962

And here is the relevant text:

3)
The provisions of this section prohibiting the unlawful possession of a weapon on
school property shall not apply to:

(a) An adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle
operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a
purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person
acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on
school property;
Good find, thanks Scottie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts