Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -- I'd like your comments on these Fred Perrin knives, whether it be for some defensive purpose or just utility or both.
I bring this up because I've owned one of the Emerson ones for several years. Bought it with a Commander model from a friend and I wore the little La Griffe for a couple weeks and then just stuck it in the gun safe. Anyway, I got one of the Fred Perrin bracelets, my wife was asking about it and I said "here, he designed this knife" and handed her the La Griffe. She said "that is perfect" and absolutely stole it away. Her thoughts are that she can carry it in spots where she can't carry a firearm and it gives her a kind of last-ditch knife but she can also use it for stuff around the house.
Dumb me had never really considered it for anything at all, just an interesting collectible. So, now I'm thinking about buying another for me, but wanted to kick this around with everyone here.
Thanks in advance ---

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
They're nice little knives (and you can't go wrong with a Perrin design). They would definately be a nasty little weapon. I don't own one (or any of the other "hideable" knives) simply because I don't personally feel the need since I can carry pretty much anything I want. However, if I did need a small ultra-concealable fixed blade, these would be on the short list.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
David,

I've worn a La Griffe around my neck for the past 10 years. I have rigged it to velcro to the back of my neck badge. This knife was designed for the OSS agents during WWII and its specifically made with a blade long enough to cut deep enough to hit the veins in the neck and legs to cause death through rapid blood loss.

For defense this knife is ideal as a last ditch small weapon. It is very light and when worn solo I rarely know its even there. It stays sharp and works real well for opening boxes and cutting off clothing (in emergency situations as a team medic).

When a good buddy went off for his first tour in A'stan, my present to him was a La Griffe.

Its your bucks but from my point its worth it. Served me well in Kosovo, numerious drug raids and in many exciting places around the world.

Steve

·
Registered
304 Posts
The LaGriffe is an awesome knife. I love mine, but I like the Hideaway Knife better. You can grip a handgun and light normally with the HAK in hand.

www.hideawayknife.com

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the comments. Much appreciated. My wife absolutely refuses to give "her" knife back, so I did go ahead and order myself another one. This time, though, I'll actually wear it instead of tossing it in the safe.
Now, if I could figure out how to pack around my Scottish Dirk.....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
David III said:
Anyway, I got one of the Fred Perrin bracelets,
:35: I wondered! Perrin and HAK are similar, just slightly different handling characteristics. I have two HAKs, but am considering a Shark, in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Be smart, Order yourself one. That will send your wife a message that you actually agree with her and encorage her to carry hers. You cant go wrong with the Le Griffe and if you get a different design you'll be sending her a message that you think the "other" model is better. Just a suggestion, but what do I know, LOL.

Steve

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve -- you know quite a bit!!
Great suggestion on getting a La Griffe and sending Lesa (my wife) a message. That is exactly what happened. Mine's from EDC Knives so it's made by Perrin and a bit different from the Emerson, basically it's shiny stainless, but she thought it looked neat and then asked if I was going to wear it. I said "absolutely."
And I noticed later that day that she was wearing hers.
All good -- thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts