Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
For what its worth, it was nice to hear my use of a horn in this scenario, and my general thoughts on the the horn, be validated by discussion with a local LEO.
Validation, really? Still, you seem bothered by it.

Its not that deep Bro. Use it, dont use it.. I do not give it all that much thought and do not think its all that deserving of deep ponderance. I accept that laying on the horn generally puts you squarely on the radar of someone who may otherwise have not taken a whole lot of notice if you. How someone processes and interprets non verbal communication often depends substantially on the nature of the person receiving the signal and not the intention behind signal to begin with. In otherwords, it doesnt really matter how kindly your intentions may have been. Personally, I do not have much use for horn blowing. I consider it something of a bygone era.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Validation, really? Still, you seem bothered by it.

Its not that deep Bro. Use it, dont use it.. I do not give it all that much thought and do not think its all that deserving of deep ponderance. I accept that laying on the horn generally puts you squarely on the radar of someone who may otherwise have not taken a whole lot of notice if you. How someone processes and interprets non verbal communication often depends substantially on the nature of the person receiving the signal and not the intention behind signal to begin with. In otherwords, it doesnt really matter how kindly your intentions may have been. Personally, I do not have much use for horn blowing. I consider it something of a bygone era.
Then you are free to remove it from your tool bag of situational responses, even safety alerts, like how it was deployed here.

I am pretty sure we have had this discussion before.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
How someone processes and interprets non verbal communication often depends substantially on the nature of the person receiving the signal and not the intention behind signal to begin with. In otherwords, it doesnt really matter how kindly your intentions may have been.
I have an air horn on my 72 Power Wagon.:cool:

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Super Moderator
23,987 Posts
You did well. Sounds like a great weekend too! The DW and I love the Gorge!

Everyone should read and reread your OP, as this is also the perfect set-up for far worse - a personal "injury" claim and lawsuits, an escalation into a riot, any number of planned "outcomes" by idiots that would rather lie, cheat, steal and grift, than the honorable alternative of a days labor.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Thinking about a dedicated dashcam, front and rear facing, and high resolution (pick up license plates, or its essentially useless). Sounds like you handled it well. We have a bunch of homeless around, supposedly a camp about a mile away. Never had anything like that happen, nor heard of anything like that. We have had a few obnoxious ones hanging around. One was harassing the students when they were arriving to school. Ug.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We don’t own a dash cam system, but that might be a good idea for Christmas.
I would recommend street guardian, dual HD dash cam (one facing forward, another backward attached to the rear window). I see no point having 4k, just dual HD, picture quality through windshield is lower quality than 4k. I have one, and it lets me cover pretty much everything. Optimal angle: wide enough, yet not too wide, so you will be able to get license plates from your videos. Have incident (at no fault of mine) resolved without effort just by sending everybody my dashcam videos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good job!

A bicycle is NOT pedestrian and needs to follow traffic laws. I've encouraged a few onto the curb going the wrong way on one way street. In my old truck they didn't move, which I did understand. If they fell and I stopped, I would first ask if the had insurance because it was not smart going the wrong way on a vehicle. They would look dumb founded so I would leave.

Now, you go watch "Unhinged", I thought Russell Crowe was great in it.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I have a dash cam. It is amazing. You can just say the word "record" and it will start recording. Another option is a nice dose of combination pepper / CS spray out the window.
What's the brand of the camera?

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
You were certainly justified in using your horn. However, I wonder:
  • Did the horn actually help avoid a collision, or would you have avoided the collision without it?
  • Would his behaviors that happened after you used the horn still have happened if you had not used the horn?
Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
  • Did the horn actually help avoid a collision, or would you have avoided the collision without it?
  • Would his behaviors that happened after you used the horn still have happened if you had not used the horn?
Just thinking out loud.
I’m thinking this was a setup - the faux outrage and erratic behavior would have happened regardless, but there’s no predicting the actions of a nutcase.

Leaning on the horn after a near collision is almost reflexive. In any case no normal person (referring to the perp) would have reacted in that fashion. If I had blundered into a crosswalk like that I’d have been embarrassed. Of course, this was no accident.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I’m thinking this was a setup - the faux outrage and erratic behavior would have happened regardless, but there’s no predicting the actions of a nutcase.

Leaning on the horn after a near collision is almost reflexive. In any case no normal person (referring to the perp) would have reacted in that fashion. If I had blundered into a crosswalk like that I’d have been embarrassed. Of course, this was no accident.
Based on just what has been said, I think it would be substantially premature to suggest this is some sort of "set up". This is not unusual behavior among jackasses. If you have ever had the occasion to deal with jackasses on a regular basis, you would not likely assign such complexity or depth to it. Could this have been some sort of "set up"? Sure. That said, I think that is it extremely unlikely.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just thinking out loud.
The use of horn and emergency braking, plus a turning the wheel to the left, all resulted in not running him over. While I was doing those things, he did jerk to the right back out of the road, so maybe the horn was essential? I don't really know which was most important.

I have no clue about what his behavior would have been in an alternate scenario.

Based on just what has been said, I think it would be substantially premature to suggest this is some sort of "set up". This is not unusual behavior among jackasses. If you have ever had the occasion to deal with jackasses on a regular basis, you would not likely assign such complexity or depth to it. Could this have been some sort of "set up"? Sure. That said, I think that is it extremely unlikely.
+1000 on the guy being a self-appointed member of the entitled class who can do no wrong because of "marginalized" privileged. Definitely more of a reactionary event than a planned event, I think.

·
Premium Member
34,611 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time on my bicycle. Whenever someone honks the horn at me, I assume they want me to escalate the now-confrontation into a full-blown throw-down.

Just kidding. You did fine, IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My family took a mini-vacation in state over the Labor Day weekend. We were coming back through town, less than 10 minutes from the house, on late Monday afternoon. Due to limited road options, it is essentially guaranteed than we will have to pass though one or more areas frequented by vagrants of one type or another. I was driving, with my son in the passenger seat, wife behind me, and daughter behind my son.

As we approached an intersection on a green light, I observed a person on a BMX style bike messing around in the crosswalk. I started to slow, but the person moved out of the roadway and onto the sidewalk. I continued to drive forward, again having the green light right-of-way, with the crosswalks showing orange hands. As we started to enter the intersection, the person- a disheveled looking 20 something black male, lurched his bike back into the roadway, forcing me to slam on brakes and apply horn simultaneously.

We came to a full stop in the middle of the intersection. The biker pulled along the passenger side of the vehicle, screaming, and striking the closed passenger windows of my son and daughter with his fists. I began to slowly pull forward, but the biker continued to move next to the vehicle, and escalating his volume, strike intensity, and even contacting the lower part of my vehicle with the bike. I was concerned about running him over with the back wheel, but the continued aggression warranted a quick departure from the scene. As I drove away, starting up the nearby hill, he tried to pursue, but quickly gave-up and pulled out a cell phone to no doubt video our license plate.

At the top of the hill, we turned onto a cross street in front of the elementary school I attended as a child, called 911, and let them know what had just occurred. We continued home without incident, and I called the police non-emergency number back about 20 minutes later requesting a supervisor call me to discuss when the adrenalin dump had worn-off. The family was scared, particularly my 10 year old daughter, with the guy right outside her window, but recovered quickly. A sergeant contacted me to chat, said no other calls had been received, and said that I handled everything perfectly.

A few thoughts on the encounter:

• The biker did not like that I challenged his privilege by assuming to have right-of-way on a green light.
  • Breaking contact is always a good option.
  • Being first to call 911 is a good idea.
  • I did not want to become the lead story on CNN, but I wonder if biker guy realizes he was starting to check the boxes, especially if he broke a window, directly attacked one of my family members in the car, and we were unable to easily get away.
  • We don’t own a dash cam system, but that might be a good idea for Christmas.

I am sure somebody with say using the horn escalated the situation, but I will use the horn when somebody cuts in front me in traffic, no matter what. The local LEO completely agreed that honking was appropriate given the circumstances, and also appreciated not having to deal with "White SUV Driver Shoots Unarmed Black Bicyclist" aftermath.

Your input?

Thanks,

Hunter
Call cops tell them some guy on a bike attacked your vehicle,and threatened you at an intersection and he must be on drugs or something, acting very strange. Please send a car now!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time on my bicycle. Whenever someone honks the horn at me, I assume they want me to escalate the now-confrontation into a full-blown throw-down.

Just kidding. You did fine, I
You may be kidding but that's exactly how some people see it.

Those people are probably offended by your horn. You might owe them reparations.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
What many seem to forget is that those people who have the greatest potential to suddenly become an unwarranted threat are likely VERY different than you are. It doesnt matter what you mean when you blip the horn, it doesnt matter what it means where you are from or how you were raised. It doesnt matter how common place something may seem (to you) or its benign nature. Those things only matter when you are dealing with well socialized people with normal/reasonable sensibilities. Those very same normal/ well socialized people of reasonable sensibilities are not likely to EVER be a danger to you to begin with. The problem is that you do not know who you may be dealing with. I typically assume that people behaving like jackasses are likely screwed up individuals.

The world is full of good and bad people. When it comes to communicating with other members of the citizenry, what matters is how some screwed up individual processes your communication, how they take it and how they decide to respond to it. People need to understand that screwed up people who come from screwed up places are very likely to take a horn blip in the same way they would take someone shouting an expletive. It doesnt really matter how obvious it is to you that the other person is at fault. Screwed up individuals are rarely ever accepting of the fact that they are wrong or that they contributed to their problems. Screwed up people most always default to everyone else being at fault and they themselves are a victim. To put it simply.. bad people manage perceived insults, disrespect and general adversity in ways which are very different than good people. Bad people can exist in just about any location or venue. Good part of down, bad part of town, rich, poor, whatever. If you want to blow horns at people, you can. When you do you are likely rolling the dice in regards to what kind of person you are now communicating with. I ask myself a simply question before I blow a horn. I ask myself if its worth it to potentially have this guy throw a brick at me in response. Is it worth it when this guy decides that he is going to put his fist through my window or force me to physically fight with him. Is it going to be worth it when the screwed up individual and 3 of his compatriots who claim to have been on their way to bible study decide to concoct at story and tell police that I was trying to run them over? Bad people often have very little to lose while I have everything to lose.

I tap a horn for one reason. I blow the horn in circumstances where I feel that LIFE may be lost if I dont. Those situation are very very very remote. I cant remember the last time I blew a horn at anyone. I can tell you for certain that I bought my current vehicle in 2011 and I have never blown the horn. I dont blow the horn at people, I dont flash hi beams at anyone, I dont motion towards, point at or question people who I do not know. I mind my own business and only interact with strangers to the degree that is essential to accomplish my immediate goals. When trouble finds me as it has in the past, it wont be because I couldnt keep my displeasure in check, because I couldnt mind my own business or because I simply felt the need to impose my sensibilities on someone else.

I am not suggesting that the OP did any of those things, I am confident that his actions were not malicious. I am simply speaking broadly and generally in regards to horn blowing.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts