Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently came across some web sites that offer laser etching on the slide. I am interested in having this done to mine, but am concerned about damaging my sidearm. Particularly concerned about corrosion.
Does anybody have any first hand knowledge about the pros/cons of this?
Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here's a larger photo of my avatar. As you can see, I had the slide engraved (not sure if it's a laser process) and polished with no negative issues. Mine was done by http://www.customizedcreationz.com/

·
Administrator
143,838 Posts
Stainless steel. No problems.
On Carbon steel ~ AKA blued or blacked or plated guns the Laser engraving WILL cut through whatever protective finish is on the surface of the metal.

So you can either brush a lite clear lacquer into the engraving or use metallic paint or re-blue the engraved with a cold blue.

Ideally with a Carbon steel slide you should have the laser engraving done just prior to having the slide refinished in Electroless Nickel, Chrome, Melonite, or Hot Blue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is a great product called Cermark that will leave a permanent black impression that HAS TO BE GROUND OFF!!!! And it works on all metals. I sell Lasers for marking and engraving, so.........

·
Registered
704 Posts
My husband has had laser etching on a stainless steel slide of a Colt lightweight Officers model and the spine of a SOG knife. Both turned out beautiful and he's had no problems with rust/corrosion however we are in a very dry climate.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Although not done with a laser, my CCDW instructor had a local jeweler engrave his name on a SS S&W J frame. This was done probably some 30 years ago and the work was absolutely stunning. It was done in a fancy script with all of the curly cues etc.

I suspect laser etching has taken the place of this proceedure but the job I saw was just amazing.

And FWIT, I've seen the CerMark process used in military avation part notation and machine tool tooling. Pretty darn cool!

Best in 2010!

Craig

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.....
The site I saw that offered this service is rockyourglock.com
Has anybody had anything etched by them, or bought any merchandise?
Just want to get a feel for this company before I take apart my baby, send her off in pieces and have them put their hands on her and do stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts