Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Just remember you still need good sights or optics to go along with it. This isn't an aiming laser, it's an illuminator just like a long range flashlight.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between the designator and the illuminator?

The green laser target illiminator will light up a target in a green glow that the animal can not see, enabling you to use your scope or red dot sight as a night vision scope to take the animal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The green laser target illiminator will light up a target in a green glow that the animal can not see, enabling you to use your scope or red dot sight as a night vision scope to take the animal.
So basically just a laser diode with a lens in front?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, but they have two different products on their website. Is there a difference between the two? Or is one just handheld and the other gun mounted?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, but they have two different products on their website. Is there a difference between the two? Or is one just handheld and the other gun mounted?
Yes, one is handheld(ND5) and one mounted (ND3). The ND5 is larger, with more output power and slightly longer battery life due to the 2 CR123 batteries. It also throws a larger beam (45-530mm).

I think the ND5 would just be unwieldy mounted to a rifle or spotting scope, so they have the downsized version for that purpose.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the laser designator today and it is a very quality looking unit. I mounted it on my 30.06 scope and of course went out and tested it this evening. I'm very impressed, at 200 yards, in the dead of night, I can clearly see my target and cross hairs of the scope. I have to say that it is a cheap alternative to spending thousands on the latest NVG scopes and provides almost as good night vision as the high dollar toys do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts