Defensive Carry banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
In 2016, over 1.3 million pistols were imported from Austria, home of Glock. I think they’re still probably at or near the top of the heap.

https://rocketffl.com/atf-firearm-manufacture-export-and-import-statistics/

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
No mention of HiPoint, & I thought their sales would be high, from inexpensive cost. The last pistol I bought (only pistol so far this year) was at the bottom of the heap, & used, anyway. I've got a credit coming from my GSSF membership, SO it's a no brainer as to what my last pistol of the year will be.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Glock makes most of their guns in Austria.
This list is for guns SOLD. I don't believe the list concerns where they're made.

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Not only was I surprised that Sig out sold Glock, but even more surprised that Sig appears to have sold 3 times more.

I wonder if these numbers include military contracts - that would certainly push Sig sales up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've done my part to put S&W on top.
+1
I love my Shield .45 and will pick up a Shield 2.0 in 9mm sometime this year. Once I get the sights tweaked in on the .45 (still shoots about 4" low at 15 yards) it may replace my DW 15-2 .357 as my EDC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not only was I surprised that Sig out sold Glock, but even more surprised that Sig appears to have sold 3 times more.

I wonder if these numbers include military contracts - that would certainly push Sig sales up.
That would explain it. However, supposedly some govt entities are moving to Glock.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
This list is for guns SOLD. I don't believe the list concerns where they're made.
This list is for “manufacture and export”, not sales.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
I like my S&W and Sig's. So i guess I have a lot of company.
Also like my Colts, was surprised to see them way down on list. I guess price has something to do with that.

·
Super Moderator
23,234 Posts
At number five is SCCY!

Is it really pronounced "sky"?

I thought it was some insignificant blip on the gunmaker radar. Shows how well I keep up.

Even people who don't care for Glock have one. Glock is unique here for it's the only firearm I ever acquired despite disliking the brand and design.
Yes...yes, it is.
When new, the company name was Skyy, an obvious infringement of the Skyy vodka trademark.

In 1998, Joe Roebuck recognized the increasing demand for a safe, simple to use, and affordable firearm as a growing number of states enacted legislation to allow concealed-carry permits to law-abiding citizens. With more than four decades of experience in the manufacturing industry, Roebuck set out to apply his skills as a Tool & Die Maker and Mechanical Design Engineer to design the CPX series of 9mm firearms.

September 2003, Roebuck founded Skyy Industries, LLC, (now known as SCCY Industries, LLC), to produce the innovative CPX line.
They skated along unnoticed the first few years, until the vodka boys noticed, and slapped them down hard.

The changed the spelling to avoid the infringement, but retained the pronunciation.

I owned a series of several Skyy’s as the first two were replaced under warranty two or three times each, at which point they were both sold with full disclosure.

Note the spelling on the box.

They had nice ergonomics, and a low bore axis hence manageable micro 9 mm recoil. They just broke a lot.

Some sports argued it was a Kel-Tec knockoff, but it had much better ergonomics. Mechanically it was apparently similar.

That is when I began collecting Glocks. They never broke.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Sig vs Glock - I'm a little surprised. I thought everyone owned a Glock, even people who didn't have a gun owned a Glock.
Agree, when I had twelve Glocks I had one Sig and maybe two HKs, but what surprises me is that Taurus had that many lemons out.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts