Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smell Everytown, Bloomberg, and Moms Demand Confiscation on this one:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2019/08/14/louisville-kroger-shooting-vickie-jones-family-sues-company-and-suspect/2012487001/

"The lawsuit was filed Wednesday on behalf of Marcus Jones, the administrator of Vickie Lee Jones' estate. It alleges Kroger allows customers to enter its stores while carrying guns and that it had no policy to ensure Bush was licensed to carry a firearm. The store had no policy in place to prevent the shooting even though another shooting had occurred at that same location in 2007 and more than 20 other shootings had taken place at Kroger stores across the country, the lawsuit also alleges."

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
"Jones in the lawsuit claims negligence by Kroger and Bush that led to the wrongful death and is seeking compensation for the harm suffered in the aftermath of the shooting, legal fees and punitive damages."

This could cut both ways if allowed to go to court. People that were disarmed due to store policy could sue because they weren't able to protect themselves.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
"Jones in the lawsuit claims negligence by Kroger and Bush that led to the wrongful death and is seeking compensation for the harm suffered in the aftermath of the shooting, legal fees and punitive damages."

This could cut both ways if allowed to go to court. People that were disarmed due to store policy could sue because they weren't able to protect themselves.
I am waiting for these civil suits. Venues that restrict people from protecting themselves should have a higher duty to ensure safety of patrons. Yeah there are many holes in that, such as you can just choose to not go to those places that have restrictions, but there is some merit for some challenges and bring more awareness. We gotta push back where we can.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
They have been attacking Kroger for 5-6 years over this. Kroger has consistently maintained the policy that they follow local and state laws. It’s not their job to make sure someone has a license to carry a gun any more than it’s their job to make sure people have drivers licenses.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I am waiting for these civil suits. Venues that restrict people from protecting themselves should have a higher duty to ensure safety of patrons. Yeah there are many holes in that, such as you can just choose to not go to those places that have restrictions, but there is some merit for some challenges and bring more awareness. We gotta push back where we can.
That's why there haven't been any suits. You can choose not to enter but that's how this case could change that. The woman could have chosen to go somewhere else and Kroger has no obligation to protect her. If the case goes through it could set precedent for suits in either direction. If Kroger "didn't protect" this woman then it "didn't protect" the guy that was disarmed.

I don't see this case going very far tho. Why would a company be held responsible for the actions of a customer that broke the law? The company had no part in it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I understand there's a lawsuit against the company in the Virginia Beach shooting by one of the victims also. But the husband of one of the victims is suing because the victim is a CCW permit holder and company policy forbid her from carrying even though the shooter made credible threats the day before.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I smell a rat - a sleazy, scumbag, ambulance chasin' lawyer looking for a payday.

It should occur to the legal "profession" (I use the term very loosely) that they cannot 100% prevent violence in the courtroom, even with their metal detectors, pocket searches, signs, warnings, myriad laws, and armed guards. Every now and again someone decides to break the law - IN A COURTROOM. Maybe we need to sic the ambulance chasers on them. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I understand there's a lawsuit against the company in the Virginia Beach shooting by one of the victims also. But the husband of one of the victims is suing because the victim is a CCW permit holder and company policy forbid her from carrying even though the shooter made credible threats the day before.
Who is the husband suing? The City of Virginia Beach? The company she worked for? I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Mrs. Nixon refused, citing the city’s gun-free zone policy for its workers.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/06/13/husband-of-va-beach-shooting-victim-i-wanted-my-wife-to-concealed-carry-her-firearm-but-she-didnt-want-to-violate-gunfree-zone-policy-n2548211

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Another frivolous lawsuit. I'd be surprised if it gains any traction.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
The newscasters on the CBS morning show repeated the lawyer's final quote in his interview -- "Nobody needs a gun to go grocery shopping." :frown:

·
Premium Member
7,152 Posts
The newscasters on the CBS morning show repeated the lawyer's final quote in his interview -- "Nobody needs a gun to go grocery shopping." :frown:
Obviously he hasn't been to Walmart.

Yeah, I know this lawsuit is about a shooting that happened at a Kroger store, but there are a lot more at Walmart locations.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Are they going to demand the hallowed metal detectors and strip searches to insure customer “safety” next???
How'd that work out in Gilroy?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts