Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we all know by now that if you happen to be involved in a SD shooting that you shouldn't talk to the police without your lawyer present.

I was wondering, how many of you have taken the time to find a lawyer and program the phone number into your cellphone.

I would think the last thing you want to be doing after shooting someone is trying to find a lawyer while the police are trying to question you.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Is there a preferred list of SD lawyers somewhere?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, we all know by now that if you happen to be involved in a SD shooting that you shouldn't talk to the police without your lawyer present.

I was wondering, how many of you have taken the time to find a lawyer and program the phone number into your cellphone.

I would think the last thing you want to be doing after shooting someone is trying to find a lawyer while the police are trying to question you.
ZRT600 If you check out Michigan Open Carry, Inc. | Nothing to hide! They have a list of lawyers who are versed in gun laws and defensive shootings in Michigan

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are a couple lawyers around here who have their cards handed out during CCW classes. The front is their typical business card info, the back is a checklist of the only 5 or so things you should tell law enforcement until your attorney arrives. A lot of guys around here carry those cards in their wallets.

Specific to your question, I have not programmed a lawyer into my phone.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Consider the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network. While currently it does not appear the ACLDN has any affiliated attorneys in SD, it might be worth asking the founders of the group.
- LOL. I should have typed out self defense instead of having people believe I was in South Dakota. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
- LOL. I should have typed out self defense instead of having people believe I was in South Dakota. Thanks for the links.
Your siggy clearly shows CT, so why would anyone believe you were from SD? Oops. :embarassed:

·
Registered
281 Posts
rico said:
the back is a checklist of the only 5 or so things you should tell law enforcement until your attorney arrives
Personal Defense's Massad Ayoob - what to do after a self defense shooting:
Hoping and Assuming you survived...

1. Call 911
2. Officer this person attacked me, I will sign the complaint,
3. Officer here is the evidence (knife, gun, ball bat, whatever).
4. Officer these are the witnesses.
5. Officer you will have my full cooperation in 24 hrs after I see my attorney.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personal Defense's Massad Ayoob - what to do after a self defense shooting:
Hoping and Assuming you survived...

1. Call 911
2. Officer this person attacked me, I will sign the complaint,
3. Officer here is the evidence (knife, gun, ball bat, whatever).
4. Officer these are the witnesses.
5. Officer you will have my full cooperation in 24 hrs after I see my attorney.
Yeah, but do you have the lawyers number on you?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Just to throw a wrinkle into this discussion...

How fast could you get a lawyer on the line, tell him what's going on, get his price and get that lawyer his money so he's going to move?

Unless you are family, a friend I'd help with a body, or fall into the "smoking hot and available" catagory...

As an attorney, I'm going to want to get paid before I do more than make a few phone calls on the case.

How fast can you raise about $5,000 to kick things off?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My point exactly. Hopefully it never happens but if it does......

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My point is that the lawyer's contact info is useless without means to hire him.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Attorney

Just to throw a wrinkle into this discussion...

How fast could you get a lawyer on the line, tell him what's going on, get his price and get that lawyer his money so he's going to move?

Unless you are family, a friend I'd help with a body, or fall into the "smoking hot and available" catagory...

As an attorney, I'm going to want to get paid before I do more than make a few phone calls on the case.

How fast can you raise about $5,000 to kick things off?
in my county, whose number I have saved in cell, offers free initial consultation. As with all things, some lawyers are better than others. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Know what an initial consultation actually consists of?

Coming in to talk to the lawyer so you can tell him your problem and he can tell you what it's going to cost to fix it.

:santaclaus:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah, but do you have the lawyers number on you?
Yes in fact, I do. The cop teaching our CCW class handed out a card for a PD and Criminal lawyer with a 24hour emergency hotline on it (his cell) and explained that he'd answer 24/7.

I haven't called their office to discuss, but perhaps I should.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Know what an initial consultation actually consists of?

Coming in to talk to the lawyer so you can tell him your problem and he can tell you what it's going to cost to fix it.

:santaclaus:
Well, actually, yes, I do. I have participated in two in my time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess it's safe to assume that not too many people have thought about this.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I pay a local attorney a retainer fee once a year. For that I get his laminated card in my wallet that goes right behind the CHL. It has his cell phone number attached to his hip 24/7 on it. Right after calling 911, I get the card out and call him. When the police arrive, I make my statement and hand the officer the card informing him that my attorney is aware of the situation and on the way.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts