Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you do this. I call it lazy carry. When I don't feel like strapping on my holster and I go through a phase where I only carry a pocket pistol (i.e. p32, lcp, etc...). I know I am opening up for comments about how they are not viable self defense calibers, but there are those times that I'm just too lazy to strap it on and its easy to clip or insert it in my pocket. Happens about once a year for me. Curious to see what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
I pocket carry with a pocket holster about 50% of the time

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I have pocket carried before, but nothing in that small a caliber. As I have stated on other posts here I am a big enough guy that I pocket carried an SP101. If I were going to go that route I would definitely give heavy consideration to something like the SP101 (if you are able to effective carry it in that manner) or maybe a Ruger LCR. With warm weather upon us it makes a lot of sense to look at this type of carry.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not a big guy. I actually own an LCR and bodyguard 38, but they are awfully big in my pocket. There are few larger caliber pistols (even subcompacts) that I can comfortably carry in my pocket for the kind of clothes I'm talking about. But like GhostMaker, I too do not normally like a smaller caliber. I suppose that's why I call it lazy carry.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Any gun is better than no gun, when you need a gun.

There are many instances where 22's have successfully stopped bg's. There was one recently locally where a load of 22 rat-shot to the belly convinced a bg that he had broken into the wrong old ladies house and he was arrested at the hospital seeking treatment.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
...when I'm tempted to get lazy and carry less than I believe I should, I remember all the times I taught my boys...and get over it...they see me gettin' lax, it might rub off...if we really believe in what we're doing, which day is it not important to do it right?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Not sure if your comment was regarding going without a holster or not ("When I don't feel like strapping on my holster "), but if so, I would advise against carrying a firearm in any manner if it does not include a quality holster that covers the trigger.

Just putting a gun in your pocket/purse or using those "clipdraw" things seems like a bad idea to me. YMMV.

But if your comment was purely concerning smaller calibers, then go for it. Small gun/caliber is fine as long as it is carried safely.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex_C, no my comment was not talking about no holster. I NEVER go w/o a holster. Like I said, my term for "lazy carry" differs from others I'm sure. I was referring more to days like I've had this week where I didn't strap on one of my larger calibers in my every day carry holster, and instead carried a mouse gun in a pocket holster. I'm normally not a smaller caliber/gun guy, but sometimes it's quick and easy to throw a "pea shooter" in my pocket and go.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...when I'm tempted to get lazy and carry less than I believe I should, I remember all the times I taught my boys...and get over it...they see me gettin' lax, it might rub off...if we really believe in what we're doing, which day is it not important to do it right?
You are right. I should probably take our advice and go w/o. I have been carrying a long time, and always have had these spells. I don't know why. I suppose you never get too old to look for validation from others. I'd say tomorrow I'll tough it out and go back to my normal edc.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think we all have days that we don't feel like holstering the cannon onto our belts!

Like today, I'm going with my LCR IWB, but as unencumbering as it is I sometimes wish I had something smaller to just holster in my pocket or something.

I keep looking at those NAA mini revolvers in .22 magnum, then my common sense kicks in to remind me that I've tried small guns before and hated them. My massive hands have trouble manipulating anything much smaller than my LCR.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think we all have days that we don't feel like holstering the cannon onto our belts!

Like today, I'm going with my LCR IWB, but as unencumbering as it is I sometimes wish I had something smaller to just holster in my pocket or something.

I keep looking at those NAA mini revolvers in .22 magnum, then my common sense kicks in to remind me that I've tried small guns before and hated them. My massive hands have trouble manipulating anything much smaller than my LCR.
Yes, I recently picked up a p32 and a lcp from a friend. Not a huge fan of a 380 that small, because I feel like you're getting the recoil of a 9 in a pistol the size of a 22. But I am growing fond of the p32 I have in my pocket right now. Not necessarily a caliber I'm completely fond of, but for what it is and the size you may want to look in to them. Rather have it than a 22.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A .380 double tap to the upper torso and 1 to the head will solve your caliber problem. No caliber will help you if you can't hit the target...practice until you can't miss.....then don't worry about the size of the gun.
agreed

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
IMHO, anything that pokes nice deep holes in a BG is a viable caliber. Whether it's a sufficient caliber depends on the situation. In the grand scheme of things, how likely is it that a 9mm would save your life but a .32 wouldn't? Hard to say, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over one day per year.

There are situations where the capacity of a 9mm would save your life, while a .357 Magnum or .45 would not. There are situations where the penetration of .357 would save your life, while a 9mm or .45 would not. There are situations where the wider wound channel of an unexpanded .45 would save your life, while an unexpanded 9mm or .357 would not. And there are situations where you could have all three, plus a 12 gauge, and still be screwed. It's all a balancing act, and there are no guarantees no matter what.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
You are making the wrong assumption. I pocket carry all the time and it is not because I am lazy. It is because it is more comfortable and quickier to draw when standing up. That has been proven several times in our gun club. When else can you be talking to a stranger and have a full grip on your gun ready to either draw or shoot right through them?

As for the caliber issue, where have you been the last two years? My pocket guns are a Sig P938 9mm (a Kahr CM9 will also do), A snubnose .357 and a .45 ACP XDs which is the same size and caliber as a $1000 Colt Defender or New Agent 1911. Why so many think that pocket guns are for .380 only is beyond my understanding. There are many pocket guns in larger calibers. The XDs is so thin that it fits easily in my pocket. Of course if you insist buying skinny jeans or pants with small and tight pockets then you will have problems but Wrangler, Lee and major pants and short makers have pants with big pockets that you can easily slip a gun into. At worse, have a tailor sew in a larger pocket. Much cheaper than a holster and more comfortable than a belt gun.

My mouse guns roar and loaded with +P ammo, all pass the FBI ballistic gel protocol.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
When I carry the LCR it's in my front pocket. I wear cargo shorts most of the time when not working. I just make sure the front pocket is deep enough when I/the wife buy them.And yes you can draw pretty fast with one. I just drop a speed loader and speed strip in the other pockets

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I have pocket carried before, but nothing in that small a caliber. As I have stated on other posts here I am a big enough guy that I pocket carried an SP101. If I were going to go that route I would definitely give heavy consideration to something like the SP101 (if you are able to effective carry it in that manner) or maybe a Ruger LCR. With warm weather upon us it makes a lot of sense to look at this type of carry.
I have found my Sp101 shows in the pocket. However an untucked shirt deals with this. No problem.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts