Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I am doing something wrong here.
My wife has an LCP Custom, and I have a brand new LCP II.. I carry my LCPII daily, she was carrying the Custom daily, but has grown weary of the slide effort and fouling problems, and bought a new Sig P238. This Sig is VERY easy to slide and trigger!
Here's the issue. The LCP models we have seem to get unreasonably dirty and start jamming/FTF/ fail to cycle really quickly, within about 40 rounds or so.
I field strip and clean them, and they are ok again, but I mean these things get badly fouled again after maybe 6 mags are run through them.. Yes,its mostly range ammo like CCI Blazer/WWB/ Rem UMC/Sig Elite Performance, but still its annoying.. I cleaned both again the other day, although neither gun had even 35 rounds through them since last cleaning, and there was a ton of crap in both...
I do NOT use a lot of oil, I apply very tiny amounts with the tiniest artists brush, its about the size of a toothpick point.. This last time, I used no oil, just a tiny trace film of lubriplate to contact/wear areas applied with a pin tip, hoping that might help...
I suppose it could be that these particular pistols are just "needy" and really do need to be cleaned after ANY firing at all. I understand that some guns are like that. Others can go hundreds of rounds. As stated, she got disgusted, proclaimed her Custom was simply not reliable enough as a CCW, and went and got the Sig..
So, from other LCP owners,, Am I being unreasonably critical, and should I just shut up and clean these guns after firing them even just a few rounds? Is this just the way they are?.. They won't even shoot 40 rounds after cleaning them before the problems start again, regardless of ammo brand. After cleaning they are ok for perhaps 5- 6 mags, no issues really. they are really dirty when they are cleaned.. These were our first .380 guns.

Maybe a pistol this small in that caliber is just a dirty little unit that needs more cleaning than I anticipated, but it would be nice to know.
Its a snap to clean them, and its not a big deal, but I was just wondering if this is the norm with these models... bob

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I've had an original LCP that was purchased shortly after they became available, somewhere in 2008, which required a return to Ruger for the hammer recall. I now have a custom that is about one year old. It is carried often as a BUG and regular shot at the range. Your experience brought me up short thinking about whether the LCPs are inherently subject to fouling problems. You indicated that your have issues beyond 40 rounds. I have four mags and usually run two cycles through them and move on to shooting something else, as that is all I care to shoot my LCP during one session, not finding it particularly pleasant! So, most of my range sessions would only entail firing about 50 rounds, during which I don't experience operational difficulties such as FTF or FTE. I did polish the feed ramp upon purchase. I recall shooting 150 rounds for first fire with my LCP Custom and did experience some FTF and FTE during the later stages, but chalked that up to the newness of the weapon. Sub-compact pistols in general are more finicky than their larger cousins and I do keep the ones I use very clean, going over them after every firing. I don't plan on being in an extended shoot out with one of these small pistols and am mainly interested in it performing perfectly for two magazines.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I have not had any issues and sometimes just clean my Custom every other session but, to be honest I never shoot more than 50 at one time. Having said that, I did replace the factory 9lb spring with a 13ib recoil spring right after the first session of shooting. I have no idea if that made any difference in reliability.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I have Glocks of all sizes in 9mm and two G42's in .380. I don't notice any difference in how dirty they get or how often they need to be cleaned. I use Frog Lube pate - hairdryer to heat the metal first, etc. I absolutely swear that it keeps the guns WAY cleaner than any oil based product ever could no matter the size of the gun.

I shoot mostly REM and S&B. Glocks like S&B because it is a little on the hot side. At least mine do! Have also shot American Eagle and WWB, all in 9mm.

Had one SIG P250 .380 for a VERY short time. I didn't like Frog Lube. I didn't like it. We parted company.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I have seen this before with under lubricated LCP pistols. I dont know the viscosity/thickness of the lubriplate, so cant comment on it.

I lubricate mine with TW-25B grease, which is a light grease, and its has enough lube to keep shooting reliably for at least 125-150 rounds. I rarely shoot that much, but have. I usually shoot perhaps 25 rounds, and then move on to the other guns.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've run over a hundred rounds in one session a few times. No issues. My only problem with mine is occasionally not returning fully into battery which hasn't happened with the 13# recoil springs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure the recoil spring is in the proper way?
Yes.. Pretty tough to put it in wrong,, lol...

I had these guns out again today, and both ran flawlessly again w/ WWB through them both. I cleaned both again before taking them out. I will just figure there is nothing really "wrong" with the LCP Custom, and that its just a particular gun that wants a lot more cleaning than many exactly like it.. We ran I think 5 mags through it, and from past experience It WILL start to jam and fail to completely cycle within another 15 rounds or so.. It will be cleaned again within a day or two, just to be on the safe side.. It has been replaced by a Sig P 238, and might get traded in on a Sig P298 after some more research... As of right now,I feel my LCP II is a slightly more dependable weapon, and we don't need 2 LCP's... bob

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Yes.. Pretty tough to put it in wrong,, lol...

I had these guns out again today, and both ran flawlessly again w/ WWB through them both. I cleaned both again before taking them out. I will just figure there is nothing really "wrong" with the LCP Custom, and that its just a particular gun that wants a lot more cleaning than many exactly like it.. We ran I think 5 mags through it, and from past experience It WILL start to jam and fail to completely cycle within another 15 rounds or so.. It will be cleaned again within a day or two, just to be on the safe side.. It has been replaced by a Sig P 238, and might get traded in on a Sig P298 after some more research... As of right now,I feel my LCP II is a slightly more dependable weapon, and we don't need 2 LCP's... bob
It is possible to put the spring in backwards, front to back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts