Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger LCP, the original model, and I have had it for a few years. I have fired it quite a bit and never 1 time had a malfunction until today. I have used FMJ and JHP and never had an issue. It would not eject the spent round and try and put a new round in the chamber. I usually carry the Remington Golden Saber JHP for SD ammo. After some research, I decided to try the Speer Gold Dot today. The first about 60 rounds fired flawlessly, than I had the first malfunction with the Speer Gold Dot, than another, and another. So I went back and tried the Remington Golden Saber and it was doing the same thing. Below is some pics of what happened. Any help on what it could be would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is that after firing? Looks like failure to extract. Check and see if the brass has any odd markings that might indicate it getting stuck in the chamber. Also, check the chamber and make sure there isn't some schmoo in there making the brass stick as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that after firing? Looks like failure to extract. Check and see if the brass has any odd markings that might indicate it getting stuck in the chamber. Also, check the chamber and make sure there isn't some schmoo in there making the brass stick as well.
Yes that is after firing it and a round that did not extract. Today was the first time I had fired it in about 6 months, and I did not clean it after the last range time, but I only put maybe 100 rounds through it. Could not cleaning it have caused it to not extract the spent round after only a 100 rounds or so from the previous range time? I can't imagine that around a 100 rounds down range and not cleaning it would keep it from extracting a spent round.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Was there a round in the chamber all this time? Maybe some moisture got to it and you've got some corrosion going on in the chamber.
Take it apart and see if a round drops into the barrel easily.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would take it apart and give it a good cleaning and proper lubrication. Then I would test fire it again. If that doesn't work, then back to Ruger or a gunsmith.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes that is after firing it and a round that did not extract. Today was the first time I had fired it in about 6 months, and I did not clean it after the last range time, but I only put maybe 100 rounds through it. Could not cleaning it have caused it to not extract the spent round after only a 100 rounds or so from the previous range time? I can't imagine that around a 100 rounds down range and not cleaning it would keep it from extracting a spent round.
Well, you have the thing with you. It's impossible to say without seeing/testing it. First thing to do is clean and lube it. Then test it again. Watch for signs of stress on the brass. The brass is a great indicator, kind of like checking a spark plug in a car.

Who knows if some moisture got in it, or something. Do the maintenance on it and just see what happens.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I figured it out. did not see that the extractor was broke. I know better, and feel stupid. Just didn't expect the extractor to break with less than 800 or so rounds through it. I carry this quite a bit as a pocket carry and a BUG, so I hope this isn't going to be a reliability issue with this gun. Thanks for everyones help.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts