Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched for this but havent had much luck yet. My question is I recently picked up an LCP. I ve since taken it to the range and Im gettin jams like every 20 rounds or so, maybe even less (thats an average, there was no actual pattern) Now Im using American Eagle ammo, I cant find anythign else besides really expensive defensive stuff.. Does anyone know, is American Eagle a known problem round for this gun?? If not Im gonna send it back to Ruger.....So far Im very unhappy.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I dunno, maybe you're 'limp wristing' due to it's small size? Also, what magazines are you using?

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Wow...I've read several threads lately about Sigs and LCPs having problems....I thought Taurus guns were the only ones that ever malfunctioned. I'm happy for you it isn't a Taurus or it would be recommended that you smash it and buy something else. Since it isn't, you can probably get it fixed and it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have had no malfunctions with my LCP of any kind and I use Blazer, WWB and Lawman 95 gr FMJ .380

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
You may want to get stronger recoil springs... it seems like most folks who have been having feeding problems, fixed the situation by getting the Wolf spring kit for the LCP...Check the elsiepea forum...

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I've never had a problem using American Eagle for my LCP.

Try switching to another brand ammo.

If the problem persists, then I'd say it's the gun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, Its no limp wristing. That thought crossed my mind as well but I shoot alot, and shoot alot of different calibers/guns, so I dont think thats it. Id like to try a different brand but as I said all I can find is AE. Im beginning to think its the gun......not sure tho.
What happens is the round doesn't get ejected completely. Sometimes its stuck halfway out of the chamber, and another time its turned upside down and jams. Its weird.....

I checked the spent cases and the ones the jammed looked like they have an odd ejector mark on them. I dont know if that helps at all...

For now I guess I just stick to my trusty M&P 360 J frame :)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
You still haven't mentioned exactly what ammo you're using. If you are using 88gr ammo then that is your problem. Try 90grs or 95gr and the problem should go away.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep...it happened to mine too. New set of recoil springs from Wolff and it was fixed. I purchased these springs before Wolff came out with the LCP specific springs (11lbs is what everyone has had good results with with those). I bought the P3AT springs which fit the LCP in a 3 pack. It came with 13#,15#, and 16# springs. I settled on the 15# which seemed to work the best for me. You might first want to polish the feed ramp a little before you opt to get new springs. You can find that "how to" on the elsiepeaforum too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine works fine. Sometimes you have to work the slide about a hundred times, polish the feed ramp, and experiment with ammo. If that doesn't work, send it to Ruger, they will take care of you. I'm using the original recoil spring.

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You may wish to ask your question at elsiepeaforum.com
I really think this is a good suggestion. There you will learn many things about the LCP there. It will definately be worth you time to review the info.

Best!

Craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
i actually really like american eagle 95 fmj and request it when im lookin for ammo for my lcp.

i got mine recently too and have put 150 rounds through it at the range without ANY jams,misfires,or failure to fires...
50 of those rounds were american eagle fmj and the other 100 were fiocchi 95gr fmj

I just like the federals b/c the copper tips and there a couple $$ cheaper at 18 versus 21

I would call ruger and see whats up, they can prob fix it for free for you if theres a problem, but also make sure your lcp is lubricated, as i noticed mine was THOROUGHLY lubricated when i got it. After each magazine i still get oil coming out of the front of the slider..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts