Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was curious of those that have the rugar lcp what ammo are you using for personal protection... and what you use for plunking?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I don't have an LCP but I've been looking at the LCR as a BUG.

I don't know about SD ammo, but I like good quality FMj for plinking.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I'm interested in answers, as looking at possibly getting one.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Any FMJ for range, Remington Golden Saber for carry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Corbon! 90 gr JHP. 1050 fps and 220 FT LBS. for carry and whatever I can to plink.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hornady's Critical Defense. I have had zero issues with these.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Plinking-Winchester, Independence FMJs (whatever you can find). For now, carry ammo is Federal Hydrashocks until I can find some Hornady Critical Defense.

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
Critical Defense gets about 10" penetration - just short of the FBI 12" minimum. Thus, I alternate that with a FMJ-Flat Point. The CD expands, the FMJ-FP penetrates.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use Corbon DPX or Speer Golddots nothing else will do!

·
Registered
24 Posts
For plinking, any FMJ rounds will do.

For self defense, I purchased some Cor Bon 90 gr. JHP's, but had issues chambering the initial round. Seems the slide would always lock back while trying to put one in the chamber. Anyone else have this problem with their LCP's and Cor Bon JHP rounds? Got some Hornady Critical Defense on back order for two months.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cor-Bon would not reliably feed for me, I'm guessing mine did not care for the flat nosed rounds. Hornady Critical Defense has been flawless.

<500 rounds through mine though, maybe the Cor-Bon would run better after it is better broken in?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Critical Defense gets about 10" penetration - just short of the FBI 12" minimum.
+1, thats my defense load too.

I personally worry about over penetration with the ball though. The ballistics I've seen for the .380 FMJ was over 16" in ballistic gel.

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
+1, thats my defense load too.

I personally worry about over penetration with the ball though. The ballistics I've seen for the .380 FMJ was over 16" in ballistic gel.
The FBI standard is 12-15" IIRC. From what I've read, it would seem that skin is fairly tough and elastic. I'm thus not too concerned with overpenetration in .380, even with FMJ. I do not think there will be enough energy to break skin on the opposite side, assuming a good central torso hit. Even if it does break skin, probably not enough energy left to do much damage to someone else.

If anyone has more info that contradicts this, I'm all ears (or, eyes?).:tongue:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I carry Federal Hydro Shok 90 grain HP have never had any problems. My LCP has fed several different brands of FMJ for target shooting without problem. Here is one site I found on some 380 ammo testing.

.380ACP

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
The FBI standard is 12-15" IIRC. From what I've read, it would seem that skin is fairly tough and elastic. I'm thus not too concerned with overpenetration in .380, even with FMJ. I do not think there will be enough energy to break skin on the opposite side, assuming a good central torso hit. Even if it does break skin, probably not enough energy left to do much damage to someone else.

If anyone has more info that contradicts this, I'm all ears (or, eyes?).:tongue:
I totally agree with your data. I'm mainly concerned with shot placement under duress, like an arm or a leg or something like that. I just think any hollow point would be a better load for overall use. In that scenario, the round still has quite a bit of energy to injure or kill a bystander. Maybe to much concern on my part, but that's my reasoning behind it...:bier:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts