Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really interested in this. I don't own any snubs and am not interested in having to stock another caliber of ammo. I'm already invested in 9mm, .40 and 45acp.

Looking for reviews, and specifically interested in any issues with crimp jump.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Really interested in this. I don't own any snubs and am not interested in having to stock another caliber of ammo. I'm already invested in 9mm, .40 and 45acp.

Looking for reviews, and specifically interested in any issues with crimp jump.
I have experimented with a few different brands of ammo with mine and haven't ruled out any due to crimp jumping with the exception of Federal Personal Defense 115 grain JHP which showed some significant crimp jump. To experiment, load up a cylinder of 5 rounds. Fire four of them and then examine the un-fired 5th round for crimp jump. I just haven't had any problems.

The 9mm revolver gives you the advantage of lower priced ammunition as well as commonality with your 9mm semi autos. The 9mm cartridge fired from the LCR will have some ballistic advantage over the 38 Special without the punishing recoil of the 357 Magnum. The disadvantage is in having to carry moon clips. If you can work out a system for that you're good to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have experimented with a few different brands of ammo with mine and haven't ruled out any due to crimp jumping with the exception of Federal Personal Defense 115 grain JHP which showed some significant crimp jump. To experiment, load up a cylinder of 5 rounds. Fire four of them and then examine the un-fired 5th round for crimp jump. I just haven't had any problems.

The 9mm revolver gives you the advantage of lower priced ammunition as well as commonality with your 9mm semi autos. The 9mm cartridge fired from the LCR will have some ballistic advantage over the 38 Special without the punishing recoil of the 357 Magnum. The disadvantage is in having to carry moon clips. If you can work out a system for that you're good to go.
How do you carry your moon clips? All of the advantages you listed are why I'm looking at it...

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
How do you carry your moon clips? All of the advantages you listed are why I'm looking at it...
When I carry the 9mm LCR I just carry 1 reload in a Quick Strip. You can load and fire the 9mm LCR without the moon clip. The problem comes in ejecting the spent casings. My system is admittedly far from ideal. The LCR is not my EDC and gets carried less due to the fact that I haven't as yet worked out a good system for carrying spare moon clip loads. That aside I really do like the 9mm LCR I just haven't hit upon a carry method to my liking for moon clip reloads.

·
Registered
952 Posts
When I carry the 9mm LCR I just carry 1 reload in a Quick Strip. You can load and fire the 9mm LCR without the moon clip. The problem comes in ejecting the spent casings. My system is admittedly far from ideal. The LCR is not my EDC and gets carried less due to the fact that I haven't as yet worked out a good system for carrying spare moon clip loads. That aside I really do like the 9mm LCR I just haven't hit upon a carry method to my liking for moon clip reloads.
Have you tried it without moon clips?

The reason I ask was my LCR9 wasn't 100% reliable that way. Some light strikes and failures to fire.

There is a list out on the web where someone has compiled a list of what ammo works and what doesn't. Don't remember where, but google can probably find it.

Most SD rounds are OK.

The only crimp jump problem I've had was with some low cost reloads.

Dave

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Have you tried it without moon clips?

The reason I ask was my LCR9 wasn't 100% reliable that way. Some light strikes and failures to fire.

There is a list out on the web where someone has compiled a list of what ammo works and what doesn't. Don't remember where, but google can probably find it.

Most SD rounds are OK.

The only crimp jump problem I've had was with some low cost reloads.

Dave
Hi Dave: In fact I only fired a couple of cylinders without moon clips to make sure it would work if I ever had to go that way. I'll give it a more thorough test next time I take it out to the range.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Indeed they are. If you have the right system for carrying them they make for very fast reloads.
I can pocket carry this gun, and I often do. Three moon clips will ride right beside the holster in the pocket on the strong side, which is where I carry reloads for any revolver, be it speed loader, moon clips, or speed strips. I'll carry a few more in my briefcase. No issues with jumping the crimp so far. The moon clips are pretty cool, great for speedy reloads, way faster to me than even a speed loader.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
You guys are tempting me:)

I've had 4 LCrs, but never the 9mm.

I need to sell some guns and buy a new computer.

My 6 year old HP isn't going to run Battlefield 1:(

After that, I'll be re-thinking a 9mm LCR.

Reactions: Darkstar888

·
Banned
318 Posts
I have the 9mm lcr. I delayed buying it for a year because of the moon clips and crimp jump. In the end I wanted a snubby and did not want to buy 38 ammo. I am happy I did, the moon clips I like and are not an issue. The Ruger moon clips are so easy to load and unload and I have no issue with crimp jump. A good firm grip will help with any crimp jump. I also installed xs sights and they work great.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you want the best... add in a new round size. 327 magnum LCR is fantastic and holds 6 rounds. Revolvers are all much better using actual revolver rounds, not trying to rig them to use something like 9mm.

·
Registered
194 Posts
But easier to bend in a pocket. And they tend to hold the rounds less rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guess you don't have the LCR 9 then. The moon clips hold the rounds perfectly and not bendable without a pair of pliers. They are high quality.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Maybe as a 5 shot they are more stable. I have used moon clips for 7 and 8 shot 357 and it was very hard to get rounds in the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
All of this positive LCR 9mm talk is very tempting.

Maybe after I sell my Ruger SP-101 38/357 and I can resist
buying a Colt Defender in 9mm.

Reactions: Darkstar888

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If I wanted a 9mm revolver, I would give the LCR a try. It is snappier than the special is...but it is not as snappy as the .357...and my .357 LCR is very shootable...and the 9mm has to be considerably easier than the .357, to shoot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Has anyone tried loading LCR with 9mm pistol mag? I am thinking of potential situation where you carry 9mm semi auto and that jams so you go to revolver and then need to reload revolver.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would think it would be easier to just slide the round out of the mag and then load it in the cylinder. Trying to go directly from the mag under stress is not very reasonable and wouldn't really save time in my estimation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts