Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody explain what the deal is with the LDA models Para is selling. What is the difference with the trigger action and why is it supposedly a safer gun? Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hivoltage said:
Could somebody explain what the deal is with the LDA models Para is selling. What is the difference with the trigger action and why is it supposedly a safer gun? Thanks

I'm actually buying a LDA soon. It stands for "Light Double Action" and it's exactly that. Your initial DA trigger pull is so light, it's almost as your pulling a SA trigger, VERY minimal effort. It's kinda creepy - I love it! Also the hammers on these PARAORDS are bobbed so when the gun is cocked it has a very slim profile.

The safety aspect is this, a normal 1911 is cocked and locked. That means the hammer is cocked but the thumb safety is engaged. Well with just the flick of your finger this gun is ready for action. But that means potentially you could knock the safety off in your holster, leaving you with a armed weapon on your hip, or etc. The PARAORD has such a light DA trigger pull there is no need to be "cocked and locked". Understand? You can just unholster, click the safety off and squeeze!

...I love this gun!

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Even if the thumb safety should inadvertently be disengaged, it still requires two separate actions to fire the weapon.

Depressing the grip safety and pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OD said:
Even if the thumb safety should inadvertently be disengaged, it still requires two separate actions to fire the weapon.

Depressing the grip safety and pulling the trigger.

both of which can, on occasion, be done unexpectedly. This reminds me of someone I knew once - gunsmith of 20 years, accidentally put a 45 acp round right through his, .....well....his member.

The basic premise of the LDA is that it adds one more safety step without the sacrifice to quickness.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't follow the logic here.... if the trigger pull is so light, how is it any safer than a traditional single action?
What is the additional safety step that it adds?
I'm also curious as to how the grip safety AND the trigger can be squeezed unexpectedly at the same time. With a proper holster, it's impossible.

·
Registered
275 Posts
While the LDA has a light trigger pull it still involves two steps, cocking the hammer, and then releasing the hammer. A two step action like this, while seemingly nothing to a trigger finger, is still highly unlikely [almost impossible] to go off due to accident. ie - putting into holster, removing from holster, resting finger on trigger [which is a no no anyway!] The "extra" step is that you can be essentailly "cocked and locked" without being cocked. Make sense?

To all you folks out there getting your 1911 feathers all ruffled...it's still a 1911, just slightly modified! If you'd having trouble understanding the concept of how it works, my advice is to go to your local gun dealer and test one out, I know you'll be impressed as I was!

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Thye big diffrence is the LDA trigger length of pull is longer than a SA 1911. To some its great, others it is too slow for rapid fire. I think they are o.k. , but not really crazy about all the small parts to the LDA action.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well....it sounds basically the same to me, except for the visual of the cocked hammer. If the trigger pull is almost the sameas SA then I dont see the advantage to safety.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Hivoltage said:
Well....it sounds basically the same to me, except for the visual of the cocked hammer. If the trigger pull is almost the sameas SA then I dont see the advantage to safety.

I think para was going for the longer trigger pull being similar to the DAO type triggers offered on the market by other manufacturers. My take on the para LDA , the trigger pull is not excessively long or heavy. But compared to a SA 1911, slower for rapid fire.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
"cocked and locked" without being cocked. Make sense?
Not really, if it isn't cocked, well... it isn't cocked and if it is a DAO, it isn't a 1911.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OD said:
Not really, if it isn't cocked, well... it isn't cocked and if it is a DAO, it isn't a 1911.

1] It's not a double action only gun.

2] Being a 1911 is determined by the frame, not the action.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Being a 1911 is determined by the frame, not the action.
No, it is based on the 1911, it is not a 1911.

·
Registered
275 Posts
it's not?

"There are a significant number of serious shooters who prefer the feel of the traditional single-stack Model 1911 grip. It is for this discerning group that Para designed the single-stack, full-size Limited LDA. Along with the familiar heft of the grip however, there's the singular advantage of the revolutionary LDA trigger system, with its sweet, smooth action. And then there’s the New Power Extractor™ technology, which makes for improved feeding and extracting reliability, while staying true to the classic look of the 1911. The rear of the Power Extractor is the same size as the original extractor. The Limited LDA is the only 1911 style pistol that maintains the classic Government Model lines and gives you a double-action only trigger that is better than many out-of-the-box single-action triggers."

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
No, it's not. It is clearly stated in your quote from Para's web site, 1911 style . They also so state it is a DAO pistol.

An easy way to prove this to yourself is, take your LDA when you get it and completely disassemble and reassemble it using 1911 schematic diagrams.

·
Registered
56 Posts
OD, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. Its still only an opinion though. Many of us say that it IS a 1911 though. That too is our opinion.

Many companies have made modifications to the 1911. There's no set rule as to when it stops being a 1911 and starts being something else. While I do admit that the LDA is a pretty big departure from the classic 1911, I still hold that it is still a 1911.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
When you cannot use 1911 schematic diagrams, how is that opinion? Para doesn't even call it a 1911. Jaguar XK and Ford Thunderbird share the same platform (frame), are they same?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I fooled with a LDA at the store last week. It's a DAO gun, similar to the Smith autos in DAO. Also pretty hefty in the weight department. I like the concept BUT should you get a hard primer strike, you'll need to manually cock the slide back a slight way to re-engage the trigger system. The Smith DAO autos are designed the very same way. This in itself is redundent and in my opinion, slows down your reaction time in a serious altercation. just my 2 cents here :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
To be technical, the orignal 1911, did not have a beavertail grip safety and a beavertail could not be fitted to it without modifying the frame. It did not have a "commander" type hammer, did not have speed bumps, did not have a high cut at the trigger guard and really wouldn't feed hollow points very well. It did not have extended thumb safeties, and they had a curved backstrap. And they didn't have any kind of firing pin block. So if we are going to be technical, there are few 1911 "type" pistols that could be called a 1911.

Some manufacturers use a reverse plug for the recoil spring and guide rod on some models and yet they call them 1911s. Some have added tactical rails to the dust cover. Some have grip safety firing pin blocks, some have trigger activated firing pin blocks. Some have full length guide rods that would not work in the "original" design because the recoil spring cap has to be open instead of closed. Yet in all of these variations, they are commonly referred to as 1911s - even when the parts won't work in the original design.

The LDA is a bit different, but it is simply a DA trigger on a 1911 platform. If we accept all the other variations of the 1911, how can we say that the LDA is not a 1911?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts