Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve been watching HBO´s amazing series The Wire lately, and there´s one thing bugging me about it...

I know it´s an extremely realistic show, so I´m wondering if it´s an accurate portrayal of the way Baltimore cops carry.

Characters are shown OCing in very obvious OWB holsters, even off duty, or when working plainclothes, or in many other situations where it really doesn´t seem like a good idea to be attracting that sort of attention.

Also, some of the characters go to bars and get drunk while OCing. And I don´t mean they do it once in a while, or that they have a couple of beers. They go to a bar and get utterly hammered, often in front of superiors, and a few times they even draw their guns and fool around with them! And no one seems to mind one bit!

I realise that LEOs often aren´t as disciplined as they should when it comes to guns, but this show takes it too far... Is that sort of behaviour really acceptable in the Baltimore PD, or anywhere else for that matter?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
"as seen on tv" that should pretty much answer your question.

Fictional TV shows are not educational. They are for entertainment only.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
It's TV and meant for entertainment only. Take it for that and don't try and think of "real people" acting like they show on TV. Even "reality" programs are fake and staged for entertainment purposes.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
It's tv.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Nope.

B-More detectives aka 'Jakes' do not walk around as such.
As noted above, it's a product of Hollywood.

An excellent series though The Wire was.
I was disappointed to see it end.

- Janq

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think The Wire was the BEST cop drama ever... I have the entire show on DVD...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
"as seen on tv" that should pretty much answer your question.

Fictional TV shows are not educational. They are for entertainment only.
:above3:

All too often people confuse TV cops and their behavior with everyday police officers. Sometimes it seems that Hollywood has an agenda to do just that. We need to distinguish one from the other and not confuse the two.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've never seen the show, but place your money on it's for entertainment purposes only. Most real cops rarely watch such shows. They are insulting. Like I doubt real doctors watch the medical drama shows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts