Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I live in a state where new Glock firearms are not approved for sale to non LE personnel, the only models available to civilians are 1998 and earlier models. An LGS I visited had a couple of GEN2 G22s, they explained they were local LE trade-ins. I inspected the guns and saw normal wear to the exterior of the slides and to the rails, indicative of normal use. The guns were priced over $500 so I ended up buying a new gun instead. I would like to hear if any of you have experience with LE trade-in Glock pistols. I know that Glock is known for longevity and reliability but want to hear your opinions on the topic.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
my Gen 2 G17 that was an LEO trade, but I bought it at a Police Supply Store in 1998. It has never failed to fire. The only reason it was a trade in is because that jurisdiction went with Glock 22's as standard issue. If you find a Gen 2 in decent shape, its your call if you are willing to shell out a new gun price for a 25 years old pistol. Personally, no I would not do it, and I own a lot of Glocks.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
That's a crazy price for a police trade 22 IMO. They are available all over the internet for $350 or less.

As to LEO trade pistols, I have owned a lot of them, and currently own 4. A G17, Sig P239, Beretta 92S and 92FS. I've owned other LEO Sigs and Glocks as well. Most of the time they are in the condition you saw. Some light exterior wear, but they have a very low round count, most only being shot during quals. My P239 was flawless inside and out, came with good night sights and the shorts reset trigger, and was less than $500 shipped and transferred. OTOH, my G17 and 92FS had a good bit of exterior wear, and a lot of gunk internally from a lot of shooting and little cleaning. After a good clean up, they functioned as new, and both were less than $300 shipped.

Generally speaking, LEO guns are an excellent value. Your LGS was trying to rob people. I've seen Gen2 G22's for well under $400.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
That's a crazy price for a police trade 22 IMO. They are available all over the internet for $350 or less.

As to LEO trade pistols, I have owned a lot of them, and currently own 4. A G17, Sig P239, Beretta 92S and 92FS. I've owned other LEO Sigs and Glocks as well. Most of the time they are in the condition you saw. Some light exterior wear, but they have a very low round count, most only being shot during quals. My P239 was flawless inside and out, came with good night sights and the shorts reset trigger, and was less than $500 shipped and transferred. OTOH, my G17 and 92FS had a good bit of exterior wear, and a lot of gunk internally from a lot of shooting and little cleaning. After a good clean up, they functioned as new, and both were less than $300 shipped.

Generally speaking, LEO guns are an excellent value. Your LGS was trying to rob people. I've seen Gen2 G22's for well under $400.
^^^THIS!^^^

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Agreed with Ianthin: The LGS is taking advantage of the law about new Glock sales.

I have one former LE G22 now. I'm using the frame as the basis for what Gabe Suarez is calling a Glock PDW. It was one of about half a table full of used guns. Took the slide off and checked the frames of all of them (got permission from the gun store guys first) and saw nothing indicating excessive wear. Been running fine with stock slide or with the OST G35 slide and 9mm barrel I have on it now. I do need to swap one or two internal parts still but that's just to get it to 9mm specs inside.

If you can find one that doesn't cost you that much it can be a good deal, especially if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I bought a Glock 21 (3rd gen) that was a police gun. It had been used alright, the slide had a little bit of play in it and thought nothing of it. Well I converted the gun to a 460 Rowland, and after about 50 rounds, one of "slide guides" busted off. Its impregnated into the frame. So I unconverted the gun and shipped it to Glock.

I wasn't going to scam Glock since I modified the gun. I was willing to pay for a new frame, but I wasn't going to self incriminate either. They never asked me if I ever modified it. Let alone any questions ever came up. They replaced it, and shipped it back in a few weeks.

Disclaimer:
Glock if you are reading this, anything mentioned in this post is for entertainment purposes only.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I have had good experiences amd expect to pay a significant discount compared to new. Too bad you are in a restrictive state.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does your state permit you to order online and have it delivered through an FFL? Because I'll tell you what, even if the price plus delivery and FFL fees was the same or slightly more, I'd do that before I'd pay some price gouging nozzle $500+ for a trade-in Glock.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I have no (zero, nada, none) issues buying used LEO firearms from credible retailers & built by well-respected manufacturers. LEOs traditionally don't run their pistols as hard as even a serious recreational shooter. It's not GLOCK that's got you by the short hairs. It's your elected (chuckled-headed?) State Legislators. I agree with the previous posts suggesting you buy online & then find a willing FFL in your locale & pay him ($25-50?) to process the transfer. :yup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My old department traded in all our patrol pistols (about 300-400) when it switched to Glocks. Most were in excellent condition due to being shot only 30 rounds per monthly quals. If you can find one with a low price it should be OK regardless of make. But an in-person physical exam would be warranted if you want to be sure.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Most LEO trade ins probably have very little use but may have significant holster wear. But you could get on that has more use or was maybe trading gun or something but unless the barrel is crap most internal replacement parts are cheap.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
And I've never seen a GLOCK beyond (cheap!) repair due to round count. Only the very (VERY) rare catastrophic failure, and GLOCK will (usually) warranty those. No worries!

Reactions: Ianthin
1 - 12 of 12 Posts